Author Topic: Engine noise  (Read 2773 times)

Travis

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 honda jazz ex
Engine noise
« on: March 23, 2023, 07:43:08 PM »
HI
When driving my jazz ex some times the engine noise gets very loud for about ten mins then goes quite.
The engine is up to temperature and not in ev mode. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you. Many thanks for all the replies, what I failed to mention the increase in noise does not accompany
an increase in revs.
thanks
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 06:56:35 PM by Travis »

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4
Re: Engine noise
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 08:21:07 PM »
I don’t feel you could have a simple answer. When the engine is called into add power depends on many variables - outside air temperature , temp setting of cabin heating / air on. Temp of battery ( if it’s measured) charge level of HV battery , speed of car and terrain driving in. Use of wipers . . I just trust the technology to always optimise the use of the petrol engine . It’s clever tech

bearer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Civic VIII
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 08:40:37 PM »
I know the topic is about a bit different, but do you hear a quiet high-frequency whistle/sound in the cabin when the internal combustion engine is running? I can also hear it slightly when driving electric, but definitely more when driving on gasoline....

Travis

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 honda jazz ex
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 09:14:57 PM »
No, just loud engine noise.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 09:17:39 PM »
HI
When driving my jazz ex some times the engine noise gets very loud for about ten mins then goes quite.
The engine is up to temperature and not in ev mode. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

I think you have to get used to the idea that you, as the driver, do not control the engine speed. It’s not like in a conventional ICE car where you press the accelerator and the engine runs faster. The computer decides when the engine will run depending on the demand, and it will run at it’s most efficient speed ... which may be faster (ie louder) than you expect. So if you’re tootling along at low speed and the computer decides the battery needs to be charged, the engine will kick in and run at a higher speed than you might expect for that roadspeed.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2023, 05:22:56 AM »
I've never experienced any unexpected engine noise.

There have been a couple of occasions I've floored it from a standing start and the noise, has been what I would expect from any engine.

In the main though I drive sedately and the only time I hear the engine is in my driveway. Once I'm on the move I rarely notice it.
Let's be careful out there !

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2023, 07:48:55 AM »
As this is my first hybrid AND auto gearbox, it has taken me 7k to get used to a different way of driving. The engine does respond in a different way, and sometimes sounds like its high revving... almost like you're clutch slipping. A couple of times I have put my foot down too heavily and the revs increase dramatically before catching up with itself. I have also now experienced that algorithm with the revs that Honda built in to make it sound like the gears are changing (pointless).
I think what Travis means though, is that sudden engine noise that kicks in for no reason that the driver has intended. Again, like the others have mentioned.. I now accept the engine configuration is doing what it needs to to to optimise performance and efficiency. I only really notice it at slow speeds, when I am using things that drain the battery quickly too often.

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2023, 09:38:21 AM »
I find the revs are greatest after approaching a steep uphill section with the battery at 20 or 30%, then the engine has to supply all the electrical energy for climbing the hill, it's worst if travelling at higher speeds (eg motorways).

Generally it can be avoided just by being gentle on the accelerator, not really an issue overall.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2023, 09:58:52 AM »
Like the others  I find if you floor it the engine can be louder  for a short time, and occasionally does it   without driver input, for no obvious reason.  Also  if you have heating or aircon operating you can sometimes hear the  fans etc running. Could that be the constant whistle referred to? Conventional cars also make this fan noise except its normally unnoticed among  general engine noise.  .   

Anyone thinking of  buying   a  mk 4 should not be concerned that its going to be noisy.  Any extra engine noise is usually no worse than a normal car would  always be making  in similar circumstances  .You might notice it more because the mk4 car is usually so quiet.    Sometimes  almost eerily quiet.   

As others have said sometimes ,if the car is having to work hard , on a long steep hill for instance, the engine may start itself and run faster and more noisily than you might expect or  would normally drive a car.   . But its not that often and might even startle you the first time it happens to you.  There is nothing wrong , it  rarely lasts long and the car will reduce the revs as soon as it can.  Sometimes you can get it to quieten down immediately with no noticeable loss in progress by coming off the throttle slightly. Possibly also by switching off heating/aircon.

For me this occasional engine racing its a small price to pay to have a car thats so economical on fuel and so quiet and refined the vast majority of the time.   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2023, 10:20:34 AM »
A friend has recently got a mk4, going from a Peugeot diesel. He has noted (complained?) about the engine noise when accelerating hard.
 I explained that it's because when you demand max power the technology is there to provide it .... straight away. He is used to the engine speed and noise building up as the car accelerates. The hybrid Jazz engine will go directly to max power output and stay there while the demand persists.

In my years in engine development it never ceased to amaze me just how noisy engines are at max power. When you hear and see one on a test bed you wonder why anyone happily sits a couple of feet behind one in a car without thinking it's about to blow up. A 500+bhp twin turbo V8 at full chat is quite a fearsome thing when you can see and hear it. On a motorbike you have the engine between your legs!
Try red-lining a "normal" car through the gears and see what it sounds like, that's what the mk.4 Jazz does in effect.

Obviously to some this will be intrusive and/or offensive, and it may or may not be deemed "acceptable". I know manufacturers go to considerable lengths to mitigate the noise in the cabin but inevitably noise suppression is a compromise of what is achievable with cost and weight taken into account. I suppose the full answer is pure EV with no engine.

Does anyone notice electrical system whine? You can get various sorts of whining type noises from control systems/inverters/motors etc.

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2023, 10:41:12 AM »
When I worked for Shell I saw a few engines running on computerised test programmes and they were inside a so called sound proof cell. A big ICE at full chat defeated the sound proofing!

I would agree that most manufacturers attempt to fit sufficient sound deadening. However, after owning 8 Hondas, I have come to the conclusion that the Japanese enjoy excessive road, wind and engine noise on most models. My HR-V e:HEV was very noisy and now I am driving a CR-V SR e:HEV it is much quieter than the HR-V but still too much tyre roar, which is, I am sure, in the main, down to the cr@p road surfaces we have in the U.K.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2023, 11:24:53 AM »
As this is my first hybrid AND auto gearbox, it has taken me 7k to get used to a different way of driving. The engine does respond in a different way, and sometimes sounds like its high revving... almost like you're clutch slipping. A couple of times I have put my foot down too heavily and the revs increase dramatically before catching up with itself. I have also now experienced that algorithm with the revs that Honda built in to make it sound like the gears are changing (pointless).
I think what Travis means though, is that sudden engine noise that kicks in for no reason that the driver has intended. Again, like the others have mentioned.. I now accept the engine configuration is doing what it needs to to to optimise performance and efficiency. I only really notice it at slow speeds, when I am using things that drain the battery quickly too often.

there isn't an automatic gearbox - it is direct electric motor drive until +/- 70 mph then direct enging drive.

heard a noisy engine - try being in test cell with a Merlin at full belt, your insides vibrate!

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2023, 11:45:54 AM »
.../... it is direct electric motor drive until +/- 70 mph then direct enging drive.

I'm sorry to say it, but that's not true... Check out this explanation:

From 6:25 you can see the division EV drive, Hybrid drive and Engine drive (> 75 mph its 100% hybrid mode).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 11:52:46 AM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2023, 11:53:48 AM »
If you think ICE's are bad I recall an airshow many years  ago when a Vulcan Bomber flew low over the crowd.
It was still an operational RAF aircraft at the time and  before the increased airshow  crowd safety  regulations.   

OMG . It didnt need to drop bombs to to shock and awe populations into immediate surrender.  :o
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2023, 11:56:26 AM »
He is correct in saying there is no automatic gearbox.

Tags: