Author Topic: Battery jump info and other possibilities  (Read 2618 times)

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
Re: Battery jump info and other possibilities
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2023, 07:23:52 AM »
One of the items I want to buy is a tracker that connects directly to the batteries + and - terminals, the tiny tracker then just sits on the battery, I’m now starting to wonder if anything on this battery would affect it. How’s things have moved on from years gone by.
Note that the vehicle has a built-in tracker provided you request the dealer to enable the telemetry. You can then see the vehicle location using the My Honda+ app.

The issue is that it is very easy just to turn off the vehicle location and data sharing before you move the car, so if someone knows this it is no longer a tracker for vehicle theft.

Terryp

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda jazz EX crosstar
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2023, 07:26:10 AM »
One of the items I want to buy is a tracker that connects directly to the batteries + and - terminals, the tiny tracker then just sits on the battery, I’m now starting to wonder if anything on this battery would affect it. How’s things have moved on from years gone by.
Note that the vehicle has a built-in tracker provided you request the dealer to enable the telemetry. You can then see the vehicle location using the My Honda+ app.

I did read that the cars own tracker would only show up when the car is running, what I want to do is put an independent tracker in that can show the car in whatever state it is in.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2023, 07:40:31 AM »
Has it changed then ?

My 2013 Civic used to monitor location regardless of ignition state.
Let's be careful out there !

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2023, 08:21:08 AM »

I did read that the cars own tracker would only show up when the car is running, what I want to do is put an independent tracker in that can show the car in whatever state it is in.

Surely any tracker worthy of the name would have an integral battery so it keeps tracking whatever the bad guys do to the car? Can’t see the point of one that is disabled when the car is turned off. Also, if you want this for insurance purposes, doesn’t it have to be Thatcham-approved? Not sure the inbuilt Honda system is, and a simple device sitting on top of the battery might not qualify. If you want simple and not for insurance purposes, then maybe ...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0935DN1BN/

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2023, 09:02:51 AM »

Not So.
I can confirm that the Tracker does work, when parked anywhere!
If the battery is disconnected, then the car can't be moved anyway since, as far as I know, the steering lock and the handbrake (Mk4) remain On.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2023, 10:12:48 AM »
I can confirm that the Tracker does work, when parked anywhere!
I can confirm this. My car is away being repaired at the moment. I can check it's location and journeys. As the car is at a body shop I can see many 'journeys' of zero miles as they move the car around in their site.
Neil Ives

jamjar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2023, 03:09:11 PM »
Has it changed then ?

My 2013 Civic used to monitor location regardless of ignition state.

Yes my Mk4 jazz shows location of car even when switched off. Also the car locator in the MyHonda App shows where my car is when switched off.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2023, 03:18:31 PM »
It would be too funny for words if the car had to be powered up to use the locator in the app.
The app would state: "Go to car and power up"? :D
If nothing goes right, go left!

Vonstrohm

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk.2 waiting for mk4
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2023, 07:11:07 AM »
The garage where I picked up min last week said it was for security; on one hand connecting away from the battery mitigates the danger of a current peak which could fry electronics. On the other hand there was rumour of higher possibility of sparks igniting gas, which the technician saw as neigh improbable but it seemed to be in documentation so he shared it anyway.

Tags: