Author Topic: Brake Caliper Slider Pins - What Grease?  (Read 7278 times)

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
Brake Caliper Slider Pins - What Grease?
« on: July 20, 2022, 01:07:22 PM »
Hi Guys,

Quick question - what grease should I use for the brake caliper slider pins?

I have the following:

1. Copper Grease
2. Granville Red Rubber Grease
3. Mintex Ceratec Grease

I was told recently that I shouldn't use copper grease on the slider pins as they might damage the rubber boot. I read that some people suggest silicone grease but I don't have any and don't really want to go buy some if the grease I have above does the job and doesn't damage the rubber boot.

Any advice please?  :)

Major clanger

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2014
Re: Brake Caliper Slider Pins - What Grease?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 01:31:27 PM »
I have always used a small amount of copper grease and never had issues with it damaging rubber components in 40yrs.  But I use it sparingly not simply slapping it on in big globs.

bobby boy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.2S
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 02:25:46 PM »
I use ceratec.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 04:13:28 PM »
"Copper grease" isn't a lubricant, it's an anti-seize compound. It has copper flakes in it which will act as solid shear particles if something does stick, usually intended for either steel fasteners, nuts and bolts, or parts fitted into cast iron and not subject to continual movement. The copper can act as an abrasive.
I remember watching a programme about Fred Dibnah doing a tour on his steam traction engine and having a front wheel bush seriously wear. They suggested it was the wrong type of brass used (he got something from a scrap yard for it), but his lad was then shown liberally lathering it with copper grease. It's no surprise it wore out.
Silicone grease is usually recommended for brake caliper sliding pins, I use a type with ptfe added.

Major clanger

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 04:40:58 PM »
Yes, I remember that.  For that application that bush should of been Phosphor bronze or if basic brass it should of been internally grooved and fitted with a grease nipple.  Copper grease did not cause that to fail, it was destined to fail from the get go.

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2022, 05:04:43 PM »
Hi Guys,

Quick question - what grease should I use for the brake caliper slider pins?

I have the following:

1. Copper Grease
2. Granville Red Rubber Grease
3. Mintex Ceratec Grease

I was told recently that I shouldn't use copper grease on the slider pins as they might damage the rubber boot. I read that some people suggest silicone grease but I don't have any and don't really want to go buy some if the grease I have above does the job and doesn't damage the rubber boot.

Any advice please?  :)
When I replaced the rear pads on my MK 3 some months ago, after researching on here and other places, I ordered up some ceramic brake grease off Tebay, which came in a small tin, similar to Vaseline size, and it cost only about £3 including postage! The supplier was a Southport firm, with excellent feedback. YouTube clips are my friend for any kind of job now, and it was on there, that I discovered, that the pistons can be easily wound in, without special tools, by winding them clockwise, with a screwdriver across the piston slots, to accommodate new thicker pads. Good luck with it.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2022, 05:39:35 PM »
I bought a tube of Pagid Ceratec from EuroCP. About £3.50 quid and loads left over for future use.

Been a couple of posts on here re brakes of late. A timely reminder to get mine apart and give them a clean and lube whilst the weather is warm!

@SuperCNJ - good luck with your repairs! 

SuperCNJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2022, 07:12:09 PM »
Thanks all for your advice.

So it seems the general consensus is not to use copper grease, but can I use any of the other two (red rubber grease or Ceratec) for the slider pins? Or do I really need to buy some silicone grease?

NoelM

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2022, 08:10:26 PM »
Copper slip is a carcinogen

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2022, 10:04:38 PM »
I've been using copper grease on brake parts for many years without a problem
Neil Ives

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2022, 10:06:05 PM »
Copper slip is a carcinogen
Any mineral grease likewise.
Neil Ives

SuperCNJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2022, 03:44:08 PM »
Just a little update on this in case it helps others.

I contacted Mintex (Textar) the manufacturer of the Cera-Tec grease to get a definitive answer regarding whether it is suitable for use on the slider pins. They have advised that it is not suitable for use on the slider pins and is also not suitable for use behind the pads. They told me that no grease should be used on the back of the brake pads, it is not necessary and that copper grease shouldn't be used at all. Ceratec is only for the where the pads touch the calliper - i.e. just the lugs. I've always put grease behind the pads to prevent squealing, I guess it seems I've been doing this wrong all along!

They recommended Textar Hydra-Tec grease for the slider pins and piston instead.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2022, 09:53:58 PM »
Nowadays I only use Granville Silicone grease tube 70g for slide pins with rubber end caps just a smidgen is all you'll require.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2022, 10:00:14 PM »
I feel that I've seen small sachets of copper-slip in boxes of brake components.
Neil Ives

Tags:

anything