Author Topic: Storm damage  (Read 1010 times)

Oz Mosis

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE Tinted Silver
Storm damage
« on: June 25, 2022, 06:14:26 AM »
I am in a quandary and could think of no better source of advice than from the many contributors to this forum. Here's the background: I am currently staying in an area of SW France which experienced a severe weather event earlier in the week. Referred to as a catastrophe naturelle, the storm lived up to its description. Roofs were damaged/holed, trees uprooted and crops destroyed. Hailstones the size of walnuts crashed to the ground, or just as likely on to the crops, roofs and cars. My own car sustained over 100 direct hits. All bar the nearside bears witness to the onslaught. In addition to the extensive damage to the bodywork, the taillights were also shattered.

My question is, should I inform my insurer, pay for the work myself - as suggested by Honest John - or simply ignore the damage to the bodywork? Friends who suffered a similar fate several years ago decided to live with the damage. Wouldn't my insurer want to write the car off? And if the car were to be written off, would this be the least worst option from a financial perspective? I shall be returning to the UK in late August and need to make a decision before I leave France. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: Storm damage
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 06:55:03 AM »
Hard luck to get caught by the storm, without seeing the damage or know details of your Jazz age mileage condition I would be inclined to visit local breakers yard replace the rear lamps & just drive the car. Bodywork is just appearance you still have a modern Jazz. So minimal spend to return to the road. Insurance route not for me. Good luck.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 07:16:02 AM »
Not clear what the damage is, are we talking paint scratches and chips, or actual bodywork deformation (dents)? In the short term, you can probably get away with simply replacing the lights (I’m assuming there's no windscreen damage?) and driving it so you can probably get home OK. But what are your long-term intentions? If, at some future time, you want to sell the car that’ll be difficult with “extensive damage to the bodywork”, so you’ll have to do something. It may gall you to have it written off by an insurance company, but the kind of unforeseen incident you describe is what insurance is for; not sure what an insurer’s attitude would be if you delayed months or years before telling them.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 07:58:09 AM »
Hail large enough to damage cars is getting quite common in parts of europe and some countries actually launch missiles that seed the air with aluminium  dust, which causes the hail to form in smaller sizes.   :o

Personally I would get quotes locally from independent body shops  who may be more experienced than uk body shops  in costing , and repairing, this kind of damage    You may find local UK 'ex pat' forums can recommend good places.Possibly better info than finding  recommendations  back in the uk.   

Even if its a bit more than your 'excess ' It may be preferable to persuading  uk insurers that damage caused  months previously in France is covered,(if indeed it is covered )   and having to pay any excess, and possibly losing some no claims bonus.   And look on the bright side.  Its your decision, with no other driver or his insurer involved  ;D

Bear in mind also that if you contact your UK insurers enquiring whether such and such damage is worth claiming on insurance or not  they may well record it   as a 'claim' even if you decide not to make a claim.  You would be regarded as a higher risk because you experienced damage. It probably wouldnt affect your no claimms bonus directly but they might actually increase your premium at the next renewal  quote, with you being none the wiser that its higher than it would otherwise have been.   And same applies if you get quotes elsewhere - they share info. 

If the local  quotes are so high its obviously going to be an insurance claim  its probably best to inform your insurance company immediately, rather than  when you get back.  I believe they often check metrological records for damaging storms,so honesty is the best policy with regard to dates.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 08:07:54 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 09:15:38 AM »
Bear in mind also that if you contact your UK insurers enquiring whether such and such damage is worth claiming on insurance or not  they may well record it   as a 'claim' even if you decide not to make a claim.  You would be regarded as a higher risk because you experienced damage. It probably wouldnt affect your no claimms bonus directly but they might actually increase your premium at the next renewal  quote, with you being none the wiser that its higher than it would otherwise have been.   And same applies if you get quotes elsewhere - they share info. 

Yep, I've heard that more than once.

A practice I find unbelievable. Anything to fleece you.
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 10:01:43 AM »
Also another reason not to declare your car is garaged overnight  ,when in practice you often leave it on the drive. 
If a storm passes your house overnight  it may be difficult the explain how a tree fell on the car on your driveway when it should have been garaged,  :-[
"Oh ,i'd just got it out to go to work"   "But you're shown as retired",  " Oh yes, erm , hum   . I thought night shift  wasnt  work. Lets move on". 

Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2022, 10:04:35 AM »
In the last storms in Bournemouth, my Son saw a car with a tree on top.  It was ok though because they were parked on double yellows ;)

Oz Mosis

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE Tinted Silver
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2022, 03:19:36 PM »
Thank you all for your excellent advice. After having mulled things over I have decided to submit a claim and will report back in due course.

bobby boy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.2S
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2022, 09:52:36 PM »
If the car is written off by the insurance company, you could accept a lower settlement figure and keep the car, make it road worthy, or depending on it's condition get it fully repaired. This keeps you mobile in what can be a difficult time finding the right replacement car.

guest9236

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2022, 10:07:39 PM »
If the car is written off by the insurance company, you could accept a lower settlement figure and keep the car, make it road worthy, or depending on it's condition get it fully repaired. This keeps you mobile in what can be a difficult time finding the right replacement car.

Good thinking bobby boy,
excellent advice.

Tags:

anything