Author Topic: Sound Deadening Project - Silencing the Jazz  (Read 24445 times)

Lewborghini

• Approved Member
Re: Sound Deadening Project - Silencing the Jazz
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2022, 01:58:09 PM »
Hello, I've been lurking this forum for a while because I want a Jazz next but this thread made me register today to congratulate you for this so far.  8)

I love the detail and painstaking lengths you've gone to with this and to document it so nicely for us.  It reminds me of the build threads on HondaTech from back in the day. 

How are you finding the work done after 6 months etc, it's been a while since the last post here.

Cheers,

Lewis :)

MiniNinjaRob

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Jazz EX 1.4
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2022, 09:36:20 AM »
Good thread.

Which sound deadening do you think was the best to do after installing it all? I was thinking of making some improvements but don’t want to go to the lengths you have - any quick wins?

Chris_Music

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2022, 06:16:58 PM »
I didn't realise there were so many replies and questions to this thread. I haven't been on here much and didn't get any notifications of replies, so my apologies for the 2+ year gap, I will reply and update this thread with the final sound deadening I did to the car and my overall thoughts and findings.

Hi, are there any news reg. the door seals please? This week I insulated the doors on my Jazz Hybrid 2011 and I'm considering adding some extra rubber sealings - so wondering if there's any noticeable difference?
I added some Neoprene sponge cord inside the existing seal, and that made a big difference, as well as adding a seal between the two doors. The one I purchased is no longer available, but this is basically the same product: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000287853842.html

How much did all this cost and how much weight did it add? <20kg?

Where did you get the material from??

Good thing I kept an excel sheet of all my expenditure on this project.

Total cost was just over £500. Though I think I could've gotten away with less Silent coat and focussed more on the Mass loaded vinyl.

Total weight of all the sound deadening I purchased is 56.25kg (not including the foam, but that stuff is pretty light, so probably round it off to 60kg). But I didn't use all of the sound deadening, and I did end up removing some of it to fit panels back on, etc. So probably between 50-55kg I would say. I only really notice the extra weight when trying to accelerate up hill. General usage and MPG has been largely unaffected, maybe a couple less MPG at best. The extra weight is very evenly distributed though.

The material came from all over the place. Mostly from Amazon, eBay and AliExpress.

Hello, I've been lurking this forum for a while because I want a Jazz next but this thread made me register today to congratulate you for this so far.  8)

I love the detail and painstaking lengths you've gone to with this and to document it so nicely for us.  It reminds me of the build threads on HondaTech from back in the day. 

How are you finding the work done after 6 months etc, it's been a while since the last post here.

Thank you for the kind words. I used to be on HondaTech back in the day with my old EK Civic, though I spent most of my time on CivicLife and would regularly post build updates, so that's probably where I get it from.

The car has been good. The only issue I ran into regarding sound deadening, is the Mass Loaded Vinyl in the boot, I used gorilla tape because it was the only tape strong enough to adhere to the brand of MLV that I used for the boot, but strangely, over the last 2 years the adhesive had melted and leaked from the tape and made quite a mess, but it only leaked from the part of the tape touching the MLV, not the part touching any other surface, so something about the MLV caused the tape adhesive to react. I ended up removing all the sheets and painstakingly cleaning off all the adhesive (a good 2 days work) and I put them all back and used cable ties to link them together instead. If I can be bothered in the future, I might rip it all out and buy some Dodo Barrier MLV like I used for the rest of the car. It was a much better quality MLV. The brand I used in the boot is Car Insulation PeaceMAT, and it's a much cheaper MLV, but it rips quite easily and doesn't stick down well. But we live and learn.

The car isn't silent, but it's pretty quiet. Windows and Tyres are the big things that stop the car from being near silent, but it's a Jazz, not a Lexus/Rolls Royce, there's only so much you can do at the end of the day.

Which sound deadening do you think was the best to do after installing it all? I was thinking of making some improvements but don’t want to go to the lengths you have - any quick wins?

Hmmm, Probably buy quieter tyres will make a good difference, but sound deadening wise, I guess the door seals made a noticeable difference and you don't have to take out any plastics.
Get 15 metres of 8mm thick Neoprene Sponge Black Cord and a can of WD-40 silicone lubricant and remove the door seals and run the Neoprene cord through the void space of inside of the seals. The doors are hard to close at first because of the thicker seals, but they settle down pretty quickly, and you get a tighter door seal, which stops a decent amount of road noise.

Some butyl sheets inside the doors make a decent difference, if not just for the satisfying thud when you close the doors. It's hard to say really. I would love to sit in another Jazz of the same year and get a true comparison and just listen to where I can hear the sound seeping in most.

Chris_Music

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2022, 08:09:32 PM »
As promised, the missing updates from my sound deadening project

Sound Deadening Part 8: Wheel Arches - June 2019

The factory sound deadening on the arch liner for comparison

I found that the combination of foam on the wheel arch and wheel arch liner meant the liner stuck out just a bit too far and rubbed on the wheel when I turned it full lock. So I had to take it off again and remove the foam from the liner and just have the foam on the arch instead.
I don't remember this making that much of difference to be honest, but that might be because of the extensive work I had already done making it quieter already.

Sound Deadening Part 9: Door Seals - July 2019

I can't remember where I got the idea from, but I bought some fish tank hose and some WD-40 silicone lubricant and fed the tube into the existing door seals to pack it out a bit more to create a tighter seal.

I think that either it didn't work well or I found a better solution, but I ended up buying 15 metres of 8mm thick Neoprene Sponge Black Cord and using the WD-40 silicone lubricant to feed it through the door seals.
I bought 8mm, but I think you could get away with 10mm

It worked great, and at first the door was a little hard to close, but after a bit of time the seal settled in and closed fine.

I also ordered a seal for the gap between the two doors. This was pretty easy to fit and is holding up well over 2 years later.

The one I purchased is no longer available, but this is basically the same product:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000287853842.html

Sound Deadening Part 10: Making the plastics fit better - August 2019

I ended up removing a some of the sound deadening because the plastics weren't fitting well. I think I ended up removing about 6kg worth.

I also removed the butyl that was on the pre existing sound deadening to save a bit of weight

The bucket full of removed sound deadening

Sound Deadening Part 11: The Final Verdict - What I learnt and Was it worth it?

There is surprisingly little official information about sound deadening online (mostly stuff from other DIY folk), and a lot of conflicting information as well.
So much I learnt from trial and error and just tonnes and tonnes of research. Including looking at Lexus car plans and seeing how they get their cars so quiet (mostly sound insulation, but also double paned windows, which I can't do anything about in the Jazz).

Here's the important stuff I learnt:

The Butyl layer doesn't need to cover everything. From research, only 33% coverage is really needed, anything more is just diminishing returns. So just putting squares on the areas that resonate most is all that is needed really.
Most of the people who need to cover every surface are people who enter professional car audio competitions, which is where most of the information on sound deadening largely comes from online. I found much better information when looking for sound deadening when converting a commercial Van into a mobile home.

The 3 layers of sound deadening:
Butyl: stops panel resonance/vibration
Closed Cell Foam: sound insulation absorber (and also a needed barrier between Butyl and MLV)
Mass Loaded Vinyl: Sound blocker (not absorber).

If I was doing it all over again, I would not use anywhere near as much Buytl, I would buy the thinnest Closed cell foam and focus on the coverage with the MLV, as the MLV is what really makes the difference when it comes to sound deadening, so the maximum amount of coverage with MLV is best, but MLV is the most expensive part, and it isn't self adhesive like butyl/CCF, so getting it to stick to surfaces is a pain.

Was it worth it?
No, no it wasn't worth it, given the cost (£500), time (100s of hours), added weight to the car (50-55kg) and amount of research and trial & error I had to go through to get to where I am now, it wasn't worth it.

But would I do it again with my next car, given what I now know and the experience I have?

Absolutely! The car is significantly quieter and nicer to drive and just feels so much more premium. Hearing the soft door thud every time I get in the car is so nice. And when I'm a passenger in any other car and hear the loud clang of the door closing and all the road noise that gets let it, it reinforces how much nicer it is with all the sound deadening. Motorway conversations are also so much nicer, no raised voices. The insulation also helps keep it warm in winter and cool in the summer.

So I guess it was worth it then! I just hope I don't have to do it all over again in a hurry that's all! I plan on keeping the Jazz for the foreseeable future.

Hopefully this wrapping up of the build helps anyone thinking of undertaking this themselves.
If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask!
Hopefully it will notify me this time!

Tags: