Author Topic: transmission input shaft bearing  (Read 742 times)

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
transmission input shaft bearing
« on: January 07, 2022, 05:02:02 PM »
is it normal to hear this very slightly or should it be completley silent

after getting home last night after a 60 mile motorway drive whilst parked i pushed the clutch in and it went quiet and then pull it out there was a faint rumble noise from the passenger footwell, not heared outside on a quiet night, no screaching or real noise at all and i have had this on other cars

my question is should you hear anything at all or complete silence when clutch is pushed in or let off (it is very faint and the car is out of warranty now but only has 16000 miles and does 90% motorway work

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: transmission input shaft bearing
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 07:16:48 PM »
It could just be the thrust bearing you are hearing. I wouldn't worry about the input shaft bearing. That was sorted out long before the Mk3 came along.

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 07:35:47 PM »
It could just be the thrust bearing you are hearing. I wouldn't worry about the input shaft bearing. That was sorted out long before the Mk3 came along.

so it is normal to hear a slight noise from it at idle, as in it should not be silent, the thrust bearing is when you push the clutch in though, on mine it is silent with the clutch in and the slight noise is when the clutch is released and ticking over at idle

thanks
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 07:57:12 PM by monkeydave »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 08:46:52 PM »
There is no load on the thrust when the clutch is up so you can hear the thrust bearing then. Try dipping the clutch very slowly and you should hear the noise disappear almost immediately.

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 09:04:37 PM »
There is no load on the thrust when the clutch is up so you can hear the thrust bearing then. Try dipping the clutch very slowly and you should hear the noise disappear almost immediately.

yea it is silent when the clutch goes down, probably normal noise then as it is very quiet rumble

thanks

Tags: