Author Topic: Do you really switch to 5th gear at speed 30mph?  (Read 3365 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Do you really switch to 5th gear at speed 30mph?
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2021, 09:03:41 PM »
Maybe engine needs an Italian tune after years of pottering around saving fuel  :D
It gets a regular thrashing just to keep things "blown through". Every time I joined the westbound M8 I would take up to the red line through the gears as I left the lights. It was amazing how well it performed.
Now I do only short journeys it gets driven hard all the time.
MOT is due in a fortnight and if it fails I think I will junk it and give up driving. Don't really need a car now. Cheaper just to take a taxi on the odd occasion.

GBH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX Auto
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2021, 07:47:47 AM »
Most of my driving at the moment is local on 20MPH limit roads / short journeys and I find that the transmission rarely gets beyond 3rd. gear by itself.

If possible, I like to get on the A316 and go mad and drive at the 40MPH limit (traffic conditions allowing) and sometimes even manage 50MPH at Sunbury where it leads towards the M3.  I feel that although the car is designed for pottering around it needs the occasional Italian tune up to make sure the engine gets fully warmed and, especially at this time of the year, any moisture in the catalyst and oil is burnt off.

Current overall fuel consumption is around 35MPG.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2021, 01:20:39 PM »
I've spent 35yrs in engine design/development. A couple of things I'd offer.

Forget the stuff about "not lugging your engine" (i.e. running at low speeds+high loads). This dates from early days when oil systems, bearing materials and oils themselves were poor. You can run a modern engine at full load and 1000rpm with no lubrication issues, it won't pull much but it won't harm it.
Having said that, generally you don't gain anything by dropping much below typically 1500rpm at any significant load because the thermal efficiency drops off quite rapidly at low speeds (heat loss increases as the cycle times get longer). For many petrol engines something like 1750-2000rpm would be a nice range to aim for if economy is your priority.

Running at low speeds/light loads tends to cause more issues than running at mid speeds/loads. Repeated cold starts and short runs when it doesn't really heat up are the worst. If you tend to use the car for short trips, it really does help things to give it an occasional decent run, get it hot, and use plenty of rpm and load. One feature is that valves rotate gradually, this helps even out deposits and wear, ensuring good gas sealing. On many engines this tends to start happening at around 2500-3000rpm (varies with design of springs etc), so taking it up to perhaps 4k rpm for a short time every now and then and holding it for at least 30sec (maybe half a mile) really is useful in getting the rotation going. Also surface temperatures rise directly with engine speed, spark plugs and exhaust valves etc, and this helps clean them of deposits. Motorway use is pretty engine friendly.

The "Italian tune-up" may be a bar-stool story, but it really does have truth in it.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2021, 03:43:33 PM »
I run my 2012 1.4CVT mainly in urban setting. Absolutely no issues at all with the engine. None.

Occasionally I get on a dual carriageway and exceed 4,000 rpm in S for a tuneup.
95RON, no additives 6,000 miles a year.

Don't care what "gear" it is in.

Tags:

anything