Author Topic: Front brakes sticking  (Read 3975 times)

guest5876

Front brakes sticking
« on: April 21, 2016, 02:45:23 AM »
I've noticed recently that the front docs were rather hot and smelt bad and when driving I noticed if I coated the speed would drop rather quick instead of a steady roll to a stop.

Anyone had issues with sticking brakes.

What's the best way to stop this from happening?

Many thanks

Ryan.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Front brakes sticking
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 06:44:52 AM »
Usually a complete strip down, clean of all mating surfaces especially slides and careful lubrication of slides.

A sign of lack of  maintenance

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 10:06:12 AM »
I had my brakes changed by Honda a year or so ago and had one of the brakes sticking on. Turned out to be a sticking caliper, so was replaced and then a few months later the other one so that was replaced.

I believe the Honda garage 'damaged' the original calipers when the brake pads were replaced, I did point that out to Honda UK but just got the usual crap and was fobbed off.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 01:23:56 PM »
if brake fluid left in too long will absorb water and cause corrosion / sticking cylinder.  if rubber boot on equalising bearings gets misplaced or damage can loose water in and stop caliper equalising (all the pressure on 1 side of disc)
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5876

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 07:48:16 PM »
Thanks for replies. Well my brother in law is going to look at it on Monday (mechanic). When we bought the car the front right was replaced as it failed the mot for corrosion. But the pads or discs weren't replaced. I did point that out but didn't want to do anything about it. So the front brakes are going to be replaced and the system bled so see if it works. I'll see if I can get him to change the fluid if he has enough time. I get a rumbling from what I think s the rear of the car but could just be the front sticking and vibrating down to the rear of the car.

Ryan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tags: