Author Topic: coolant leak  (Read 4279 times)

stevie d

• Approved Member
coolant leak
« on: October 06, 2015, 11:28:29 AM »
I have a 54 plate Jazz 1.2 and recently have noticed that there is a coolant leak. There is a small amount of coolant on the floor on the drivers side in the mornings, not a great deal but enough to cause concern. A good friend of mine is a mechanic so naturally I payed him a visit. The thing is with the engine running at operating temp he could not find any leaks in the hoses etc. I asked him could there be a problem with the water pump as the leak appears to be on this side of the car but he did not have enough time to check this out there and then. It seems like the coolant  is leaking after the engine has cooled down but not when the car is running. Can anyone shed any light on this?.
thanks Steve.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: coolant leak
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 11:40:16 AM »
Is it coolant? Have you put your finger in it and smelt/tasted it. Have you had your air con on if so it could just be the ice thawing.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

stevie d

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 10:38:25 PM »
It's definitely coolant.
Steve.

guest4324

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 11:32:06 AM »
Are there any signs of water spraying up onto the inside of the bonnet? This is a typical sign of the water pump leaking. If it's a static leak then it's possibly from a hose or radiatior connection, when the engine is hot they sometimes don't leak due to heat expansion of the metal. Have a good look with a torch, dry any wet areas off and then see if you can see where any new water is coming from.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 08:07:13 PM »
Do you notice drop in level in radiator ?   could be windscreen washer bottle / pumps leaking -
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

stevie d

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 08:25:48 PM »
The leak seems to have stopped now, I topped up the radiator a few times and now the level is holding. Was noticing a gurgling noise in the bulkhead and read that this may have been  down to  air in the system.
Steve.

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 11:16:31 PM »
Am I thinking about a different car or does the jazz have a expansion tank. I'm sure it does, check that the level isn't low there.? Only time I have had to fill from radiator was donkeys ago. Only undo it to disperse bubbles in system theese days as they are usually sealed.

Tags:

anything