Author Topic: Engine Fault Code P0336 / Honda Dealer Diagnosis  (Read 14565 times)

guest5415

Engine Fault Code P0336 / Honda Dealer Diagnosis
« on: May 06, 2015, 12:56:41 PM »
The Engine Management Light on my 2002 1.4i-DSI SE came on, accompanied by the car intermittently losing power and cutting out. The fault code was read as P0336 (Crank Position Sensor) and the sensor was replaced without resolving the issue. I paid for the Honda Dealer to diagnose the problem and the "Master Technician" ensured me that replacing  the 4 rear coils and spark plugs would resolve the issue. I took the car away (after a huge quote from the dealer) and had the work done at my local garage but the original issues still persist.

The Honda dealer are claiming that the issue wasn't fixed because the garage that undertook the work did not use official Honda coils, but I (and the mechanic that fitted them) thinks this is highly unlikely.

I would appreciate it if anybody has any advice on what the P0336 / engine cut-out issue could be and whether it really does make a difference if official Honda coils are used.

guest5415

• Topic Starter
Re: Engine Fault Code P0336 / Honda Dealer Diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 10:22:22 AM »
I've just heard from the Honda dealer and they still don't know what the issue is. Their only suggestion is to replace the Crank Position Sensor...again.

guest4283

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 06:16:05 PM »
Some simple things to check/do re power loss and cutting out:

Checked air filter?
Replaced all 8 spark plugs or just front 4?
Checked for vacuum leaks in hoses?
Tried injector cleaner additive?

How many miles on this motor by the way?

guest2913

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 06:48:04 PM »
Ive haf the same problen now fixed! The spark plugs need regapping front and rear now it runs a dream!

guest5415

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 09:31:12 AM »
The car has 82,000 miles on the clock and yes, all 8 spark plugs have been replaced.

The Honda dealer has replaced the Crank Position sensor again and the car has been driving OK for the last 2 days. I'll wait to see if this is a permanent fix, but they did say that a re-learn procedure needs to be done after replacing such a sensor - I can only think that the local garage that replaced the sensor originally didn't have the engine management software to undertake this procedure properly.

I was wondering what my rights were with regard to having to pay for this second sensor as I paid over £400 getting the plugs and coils replaced on the basis of what looks like an incorrect diagnosis from the Honda technician.

Thanks for everybody's replies.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 06:55:49 PM »
I would talk to your dealership again and mention you will be putting your case in writing to Honda HQ, all Honda parts are covered by 12mth guarantee.

guest4675

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 10:31:25 PM »
The car has 82,000 miles on the clock and yes, all 8 spark plugs have been replaced.

The Honda dealer has replaced the Crank Position sensor again and the car has been driving OK for the last 2 days. I'll wait to see if this is a permanent fix, but they did say that a re-learn procedure needs to be done after replacing such a sensor - I can only think that the local garage that replaced the sensor originally didn't have the engine management software to undertake this procedure properly.

I was wondering what my rights were with regard to having to pay for this second sensor as I paid over £400 getting the plugs and coils replaced on the basis of what looks like an incorrect diagnosis from the Honda technician.

Thanks for everybody's replies.
A Honda dealer recently changed a part on my that didn't fix the issue. They didn't charge me anything for that job and the charged me less for the actual work that they originally quoted me for and left the part on the car that didn't need to be fitted. Got a new CV joint free of charge.

guest4283

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 11:02:31 PM »
... they did say that a re-learn procedure needs to be done after replacing such a sensor - I can only think that the local garage that replaced the sensor originally didn't have the engine management software to undertake this procedure properly...

I have the Haynes manual for the car. Regarding the Crank Position Sensor replacement procedure it doesn't mention any 're-learn procedure'.

No 're-learn procedure' mentioned here either (although car is not Jazz or Honda):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9UwrVNXXzo

You would of course need the clear the OBD-II error codes, but all scanners should be able to do that.

Tags: