Author Topic: Best non Honda rear pads & discs??  (Read 6122 times)

D3DSL

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 57 Jazz SE + 11 Jazz ES CVT :)
Best non Honda rear pads & discs??
« on: April 23, 2015, 01:10:40 PM »
Just been swapping out the winter tyres on the old Jazz (57 plater) and noticed not a lot of depth on the rear pads, about 2mm, and disc is looking pretty ropey.  I'm planning to get my local Indi to fit the parts and I source them for him, along with the other bits & bobs for the service. 

Phoned up my local Honda dealer and the price for the pads and discs (not fitted) was £189, which got me thinking.  Is there a Honda dealer that discounts these parts through mailorder?  Or what about non Honda parts?  Anyone got any recommendations for non-Honda parts or those from chains like Halfords or KwikFit?

Thanks in advance.

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
Re: Best non Honda rear pads & discs??
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 04:41:22 PM »
There are many non-Honda parts that are just as good.  I cannot give you a brand, living out of the UK but Halfords comes to mind for parts and components.  Fitting brake pads is fairly easy, if messy with the dust.  I always apply a powerful blower to the caliper before undoing it
If music be the food of love, play on

D3DSL

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 06:24:32 PM »
Cheers, will have a look at Halfords.  Unfortunately my car DIY skills are pretty rubbish and fiddling with brakes is something well outside my comfort zone.  As Dirty Harry used to say, man's got to know his limitations.

Defender

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 EX CVT
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 09:15:19 PM »
Just been swapping out the winter tyres on the old Jazz (57 plater) and noticed not a lot of depth on the rear pads, about 2mm, and disc is looking pretty ropey.  I'm planning to get my local Indi to fit the parts and I source them for him, along with the other bits & bobs for the service. 
Phoned up my local Honda dealer and the price for the pads and discs (not fitted) was £189, which got me thinking.  Is there a Honda dealer that discounts these parts through mailorder?  Or what about non Honda parts?  Anyone got any recommendations for non-Honda parts or those from chains like Halfords or KwikFit?
Thanks in advance.

I am just about to fit EBC discs and pads all round, cost me £200 all in, the only other things you'll need is a few tools and some copper grease, WD40 etc.
Look on youtube for a vid on how to change discs and pads, it's not that difficult if you take your time.
2011 1.4 EX CVT in Metalic Mushroom (Urban Titanium).

D3DSL

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 05:49:36 PM »
I know it's not too difficult, I have a friend who has a RR always tries to get me yo change mine on my Disco3.  I (well SWMBO) has images of braking and nothing happens, she knows how good my DIY skills are.  I know not rational but anything for an easy life.  ;D

Will have a look at EBC pads & discs though.

Defender

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 EX CVT
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 04:41:53 PM »
I know it's not too difficult, I have a friend who has a RR always tries to get me yo change mine on my Disco3.  I (well SWMBO) has images of braking and nothing happens, she knows how good my DIY skills are.  I know not rational but anything for an easy life.  ;D
Will have a look at EBC pads & discs though.

Why not ask your friend with the RR (Range Rover?) to watch you do so you have some one who knows what to do on stand by and help if needed? That's the way I learnt from/with my father, sometimes I do wish I'd paid a bit more attention though!
2011 1.4 EX CVT in Metalic Mushroom (Urban Titanium).

D3DSL

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 07:18:36 PM »
Not a bad idea, unfortunately he's up in Aberdeen.  Car might be going to NW Norway next month (Disco 3 is verysick) so will sort out local Indi to do it. 

tonytan

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 09:50:13 PM »
Try these websites
http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/
http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/
cox supplies genuine honda parts at a discount whereas mister auto supplies reputable branded parts at a very competitive price.

Tags: