Author Topic: Advice: Used Jazz with a reconditioned gearbox - Should I go for it?  (Read 2141 times)

guest5341

Hi all.
First post here and have joined since I'm on the look out to buying my first Jazz (second hand).

I've seen a 05 reg 1.4 SE model online at a good price with 94k miles on it. The description says it had a reconditioned gearbox and new clutch fitted 2 years ago. Now, I've read all about the infamous gearbox issues, but since this one is reconditioned, do you think I should consider buying it? Anyone had experience with reconditioned gearboxes or been in this situation?
I'm guessing the gearbox potentially has a bit of life in it yet since it's only been done 2 years ago and the car has 94k on it. But the car has been advertised for at least a month now. People getting put off by the gearbox perhaps...?

Still to phone the dealer, see the car myself and actually get to test it out, but any advice or info would be great.

Cheers!

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Advice: Used Jazz with a reconditioned gearbox - Should I go for it?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 08:59:53 AM »
Fix for noisy gearbox is only a bearing replacement - nothing goes wrong with gears or anything else.  I would drive the car with radio and everything else switched off and listen for tell-tale whining in lower 3 gears,  give it a bit of welly in first and second.  Jazz gearboxes just get louder over many 1000's of miles but won't loose you down.  I still see plenty of original 02 reg Jazz driving around quite happily.

If seller has the receipt for the reconditioning even better - when you say 'dealer', is it a Honda main dealer?

94K is nothing for a Honda.  :D  and as it's done about 9K per year it looks as though its been used regularly and everything should be in good shape.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 09:07:36 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5341

• Topic Starter
Re: Advice: Used Jazz with a reconditioned gearbox - Should I go for it?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 02:16:32 PM »
Cheers for that Culzean.

Sorry I meant to say owner, not dealer. No additional information regarding the gearbox, only that it's noted in its service history as having a reconditioned gearbox and clutch replacement 2 years ago (description given online).

The car looks from pictures in great shape - it's had 2 owners and has been valeted. I just don't want to be stung for my first Jazz when a few thousand miles down the line, the gearbox goes.

Tags: