Author Topic: can anyone help with defining the problem?  (Read 4228 times)

guest3864

can anyone help with defining the problem?
« on: February 15, 2014, 08:55:24 PM »
Looking for a little help. We have a 2002 (52) Automatic. I read about juddering. Can judderieng be described as the feeling of driving over a cattle grid? The Jazz pulls off ok without the cattle grid. What it DOES do is bucks once it's moving. Stepping into it makes it happen. It will occassionally just buck (a quick one) but I dont think ithis is the juddering written about on the CVT topics. It did judder when we bought it, but I think the flush has fixed it. The Honda garage wants to tear open the transmission thinking it's the starter clutch but I'd rather be sure. Any help would be appreciated on this matter. Is it the starter clutch or does it sound more like the EGR or crank sensor (or something completely different?)

DrShockr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 CVT in Bright Blue!
Re: can anyone help with defining the problem?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 09:56:59 AM »
Certainly does not sound like you've got the judder issue as that only happens when you're moving from a stop.

The engine 'bucking' when you step on it could well be due to a clogged EGR valve - start with this first as this is the cheapest and easiest (very easy DIY also).

My own personal experience however, my jazz used to buck/shake, almost as if losing power for a split second when punching the gas, this turned out to be due to a faulty crankshaft sensor.

There's no reason for the shop to pull the transmission out (and charge you a fortune) unless YOU are 100% sure that's where the problem lies - start with the other options first.

guest4218

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 03:59:40 PM »
 Hi it could be a loose engine mount or some bushes are getting old try with the engine switched off :D open the bonnet and try to rock the engine if the engine moves you have a loose engine/gearbox mount.

guest2662

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 06:09:40 PM »
you beat me to it jazzman, you are right it could be a worn engine mount, over time they sometimes crack and split.

guest3864

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 03:18:35 PM »
Nope. Not that kind of bucking. It's actually stalled and lit the engine management light yesterday. I'll be cleaning the EGR valve first, then see what happens. If no better, then go to the crank sensor. I'm fairly certain it's not the starter clutch anymore.

tonytan

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 05:26:23 PM »
Its a long shot but check if the rear bank of spark plugs has ever been replaced, if not and they are excessively worn it can cause a sort of hesitation on sudden/snap acceleration. A lot of non franchised garages do not realise this engine has 8 spark plugs and therefore only tend to replace the front 4 only during a service.

DrShockr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 CVT in Bright Blue!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 10:45:07 PM »
The fact that the light has lit up is great because the code thrown will direct you to the exact problem.

The only way I found mine to be the crankshaft sensor was because I was giving the car the beans on purpose and it finally stalled and the light came on - plugged in OBD2 reader (cheap £15 eBay one) which showed the fault. Honda wanted £117 just for diagnostics!

I would suggest you get the codes read at any local garage or invest in an OBD2 reader if you haven't got one already.

guest3864

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 01:23:56 PM »
I have a diagnostic tool. It came back with crank sensor fault. I've cleaned the EGR and I've been diving it around after resetting the engine light. It jerks once in a while now. Not as often. The light hasn't come back on either. The Honda garage naturally says EGR is usually at fault, until I told them that I've done diagnostics on it and it came back Crank Sensor Fault. I'll drive it a bit more to see if it comes back.

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 09:21:36 PM »
Have you written down what was the actual fault code?
Here are some troubleshooting guides for Jazz`s, link.

Tags: