Author Topic: Replacement Front Lower Steering Track Control Arm Wishbone  (Read 967 times)

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
Replacement Front Lower Steering Track Control Arm Wishbone
« on: November 13, 2020, 07:57:03 PM »
At my last service it was noted that there was cracking in the rubber parts of both Front Right Lower Steering Track Control Arm Wishbones, not an MOT failure but I am very fussy about replacing any suspect parts before they fail.

Has anyone replaced the wishbones and if so what brand did you use, there is a very wide range available with prices from as little as £30 to almost £200 each?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Replacement Front Lower Steering Track Control Arm Wishbone
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 08:41:50 PM »
Surface cracking on the rubber bushes is quite normal once they age, it's no detriment. If the cracks on the rear bush start to develop into a tear, that's the time for replacement. You probably have a few years to go yet.

Not done wishbones on either Jazz, but I've fitted several of the cheap wishbones on other cars, without any problems.The Jazz wishbones can be had for as little as £20 each for a 'no-name' part, a few pounds more for a known branded factor part.

I've also refurbished old wishbones with genuine bushes. It can work out cheaper than a pattern wishbone, but obviously it's a bit more work, and a press makes fitting the rear bush a lot easier - the white metal bush outer shells are easily damaged by improvised means. The aftermarket Jazz wishbones are really cheap though, so it probably isn't worth the effort.

UKjim

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 08:49:54 PM »
Thanks for the info, here is a picture taken by the garage.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 09:53:49 PM »
I fitted a FAL wishbone 4 years ago. It cost £32. I say I fitted it. My son-in-law did, and I held the torch. It was a pain in the proverbial getting the new one in, but that was because we did not remove the hub and driveshaft and because we did it on a dark December evening.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 11:30:40 PM »
Thanks for the info, here is a picture taken by the garage.

Yes, not deep enough to worry about yet, and they generally deteriorate quite slowly. Depending on your MOT tester, it may pop up as an advisory if it gets worse, or "monitor and repair if necessary", as they call it now.

I don't think I would be too worried just yet, certainly leave it now for the better weather next spring and have another look at it. If it still looks the same then, I would leave it alone personally... but it's up to you. If you would feel happier knowing it was done, replacement wishbones are cheap enough. It is a bit of a fiddly job though, as Jocko says, the driveshaft is in the way of the balljoint nut.

Tags: