Author Topic: Wiper linkage broke  (Read 1734 times)

zam

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2004 1.2 manual
Wiper linkage broke
« on: November 01, 2020, 06:52:03 PM »
Greetings all,

As per topic, my 17 year old wiper linkage has bust a bushing/connector. I've tried a halfrauds repair clip but that isn't up to the job either.

What's the play here folks? Replace the linkage assembly from the scrappies (£15-20) or invest in a new set of push rods (£35-70)?

PS: losing wiper function whilst travelling at 50mph in the driving rain on a busy A road is not for the faint hearted!!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Wiper linkage broke
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 07:04:47 PM »
One off a scrapper seems the most sensible option to me, unless you can improvise replacement bits.

Henryge

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 43.3
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 litre 2014 ivtec
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 09:12:48 PM »
Hi, Get a set from the scrapyard then you have spare bushes and linkages for later. If any other piece goes,
 On my last car linkage at joint broke caused by years of grime getting into wiper shafts. And seizing up Check for
free movement by unbolting from motor.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 02:38:51 PM »
PS: losing wiper function whilst travelling at 50mph in the driving rain on a busy A road is not for the faint hearted!!

:o Sounds like a terrible experience. 

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 03:46:10 PM »
The old trick for that was to cut a potato in half and rub it on the glass. Fine as a get you home but not a lot of use when they first pack in.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 04:50:48 PM »
The old trick for that was to cut a potato in half and rub it on the glass. Fine as a get you home but not a lot of use when they first pack in.

...and you need a handy potato!  ;)

zam

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2004 1.2 manual
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 05:54:19 PM »
Just to flesh out the narrative a bit more, some pics.

Anyone know where to get some new bushings for the links?
As already suggested, I could use a scrapyard replacement part as a donor, but given the age and condition of some of the scrapyard parts, I don't feel they'll be up to snuff.

Henryge

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 43.3
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 litre 2014 ivtec
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 06:48:20 PM »
 Hi There,
 Try looking on ebay 2nd hand ones £30 or even pushrods from the same site,
 i don't think you can get bushings only, cheaper to buy complete unit (used).

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 09:09:51 PM »
I wouldn't have a problem replacing with a used part, and indeed have done so before. There are many reputable business that sell via ebay. The item will be checked and often with a warranty. 

In fairness, your entire car is made up of 17 yr old parts, and anyone of those could fail at any time. Like for like repacment is pretty normal. Indeed, for years now, insurance companies have been repairing cars with used parts, eg like for like.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2020, 12:03:48 PM »
I wouldn't be too worried about a secondhand assembly. As Westy says, if it's sold as in good order, it should be in better condition than yours all round - lots on ebay from £15.60 upwards delivered. Don't think about swapping bits, just swap the whole thing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-JAZZ-MK2-GE3-2002-WIPER-LINKAGE-CVT-1-3-L13A1-764269/153697239690

As for a repair, if the ball & socket is completely worn out, I would bodge that by drilling a hole straight through the centre of the socket, drill and tap a hole in the top of the ball and hold the thing together with a set screw and a washer. If there's enough meat on the neck of the ball, you may be able to drill right through and use a nut on the back - it doesn't have to to be big, you're only stopping the ball & socket coming apart - M5 should do. Probably last the car out.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 12:22:32 PM by sparky Paul »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2020, 03:14:58 PM »
As for a repair, if the ball & socket is completely worn out, I would bodge that by drilling a hole straight through the centre of the socket, drill and tap a hole in the top of the ball and hold the thing together with a set screw and a washer. If there's enough meat on the neck of the ball, you may be able to drill right through and use a nut on the back - it doesn't have to to be big, you're only stopping the ball & socket coming apart - M5 should do. Probably last the car out.
Now there is someone, like myself, who has had to get equipment going, in the field, and at any cost.
I have bodged temporary repairs while we waited for the ordered parts to arrive, and five years later the machine has gone out of the door with the bodge still in place and the new part still on the shelf.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2020, 05:13:36 PM »

Should I keep a spare potato in my car for occasions like this? Does my Mark 1 Jazz have a cubby for a spare potato?

Would a King Edward do, or more probably a Maris Wiper!

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2020, 06:09:08 PM »
Suggest you look for parts in local breakers yards - Honda Parts fit best , job done.
Good hunting

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2020, 06:38:54 PM »
I have bodged temporary repairs while we waited for the ordered parts to arrive, and five years later the machine has gone out of the door with the bodge still in place and the new part still on the shelf.

Many times  ;)

...and if you find you are having to go out to a machine to replace the same part over and over, you soon devise a modification. Why keep being disturbed when you have a brain?

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2020, 08:13:09 PM »

[/quote]
 a Maris Wiper!
[/quote]

;D Excellent! Well worth chipping in with  8)

Tags:

anything