Author Topic: Recommendations please on merits of newer Jazz  (Read 738 times)

TIMCRIPPS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 JAZZ SE SPORT CVT
Recommendations please on merits of newer Jazz
« on: October 03, 2020, 01:02:50 PM »
Hello All
I have recently purchased a 2004 Jazz having had no previous experience of the car. It has very low mileage and looks in very good condition. I have been impressed with it so far and am considering buying another newer one as we could do with a second car.
I would be very interested to hear other member's opinions of the newer versions of the car. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Cheers

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Recommendations please on merits of newer Jazz
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 01:55:00 PM »
The next major change was in late 2008 when the DSI engine was replaced by the i-vtec engine, this became the Mk2 Jazz. The engine had a bit more power but the change was a retrograde step in some peoples opinion. At the same time the CVT gearbox was replaced by the i-shift gearbox, an electrically operated manual box. This was definitely a retrograde step although some people reckoned that they liked it. In early 2011 the CVT box was reintroduced with a torque converter clutch confirming that the i-shift box wasn't popular. Throughout it's life the Jazz has had improvements to its suspension to make it more comfortable and the steering has been improved to gradually remove some of the reported notchiness that some owners complained of. There is a strong following for the model like yours, I have had two, both CVT's and liked them, there's still a lot about.
I have owned Jazz's for 14 years and have very few component failures, a front brake caliper change and a door mirror failed, anything else has been wear and tear.
Good luck.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 02:14:47 PM »
MK2 ( vtec engine rather than twin spark i-DSi MK1 ) is a better car than MK1 in pretty much every respect except boot space and the engine,  sure the vtec engine has more top end power, but the MK1 engine is much more driveable for everyday use,  and great fuel economy.  On my wifes MK2 the gap between 1st and 2nd gear is too big, it drops pretty much 2000 rpm when you change from 1 to 2 and it is too much because the lack of low down torque on the vtec - between other gears 2 to 3 etc only drops about 500 revs.  Gap between 1 and 2 gears can be embarrassing on a hill start when you have to rev the taters off the engine in 1st before changing to 2nd ( if you don't the engine struggles to pick revs up in 2nd as not much happens below about 2500 revs).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 03:10:25 PM »
My Mark2 CVT is very smooth, no obvious lack of power or torque at low speeds or revs. Very smooth changes..  Very easy to drive in town and park..
So far in 8 years nothing has gone wrong - usual service items only.

Tags: