Author Topic: Tapping  (Read 1387 times)

Jeffyjazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz se sport
Tapping
« on: April 29, 2018, 08:43:52 PM »
Mine jazz has been tapping for a couple of months.

Just sounds like a single tappet so I did the tappets and all were out of spec so I adjusted all to the minimum and re checked.  Started it up and sounded exactly the same.

Can the rocker arms wear on the shaft they are on or can the roller wear on the cam.    It’s definitly just one tapping but the gaps are all good.   

The rattling seemed to coincide with the time I put castrol magnatec oil in (5-40) could this have damaged it?  I usually use Mobil stuff

It’s starting to sound awful but it does go away once the revs go over 1500. So I was wondering if it’s might be the oil pump not working at low revs

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Tapping
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 09:10:35 AM »
Mine jazz has been tapping for a couple of months.

Just sounds like a single tappet so I did the tappets and all were out of spec so I adjusted all to the minimum and re checked.  Started it up and sounded exactly the same.

Can the rocker arms wear on the shaft they are on or can the roller wear on the cam.    It’s definitly just one tapping but the gaps are all good.   

The rattling seemed to coincide with the time I put castrol magnatec oil in (5-40) could this have damaged it?  I usually use Mobil stuff

It’s starting to sound awful but it does go away once the revs go over 1500. So I was wondering if it’s might be the oil pump not working at low revs

Tapping and knocking from engine can be devilish hard to track down,  mechanics will use a stethoscope or long screwdriver (put your ear on the handle and the pointy end on various parts of the engine to see where noise sounds loudest).

I doubt that Magnatec will damage your engine, I have used nothing else for many, many years and very big mileages with no problem.  New oil can sometimes clean out dirt that was sealing bearings (that is why flushing oil can cause problems),  check your spark plugs also does your car lose coolant ? if coolant is getting into combustion chamber it can cause knocking (and sometimes white smoke from  tailpipe). 

Do you have a trusted local mechanic who can offer help ?
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jeffyjazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz se sport
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 02:39:56 PM »
The noise is at the top of cylinder 4.  But it’s getting heavier.  It’s not piston slap or little end as it’s too slow.   I checked the plugs as I’ve had an electrode fall in a cylinder once and that was bloody loud.

I’m inclined to think it’s a worn cam lobe or the rocker is flapping about on the main shaft

I have just found a low mileage engine with only 22k miles on it so I might chuck that in one weekend and do my clutch at the same time

I’ve also got a new radiator and aircon fan to put in so would be ideal to do with the engine out

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 08:27:14 PM »
Had that on a Rover 80 from the 1950s. Small hole in exhaust manifold gasket...

Tags: