Author Topic: What are the benefits and downside of hybrids  (Read 6263 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: What are the benefits and downside of hybrids
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2020, 05:46:10 PM »
Pure electric car sales were up 144%, in the UK, according to today's Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders figures.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2020, 07:03:27 PM »
Diesel car sales in the UK fell 21.8% last year.
Switzerland is -12% while Germany still believes in Diesel with only -0.3% to last year. Ergo: don't buy a German car. :)

The Germans firmly entrenched themselves in diesel, and because German motor industry pretty much drives the standards for emissions in Europe.  they focused regulations on CO2 and virtually ignored NOx and particulates. The Japanese walked away in about 2005 saying very firmly that 'emissions wise Diesels are a dead end' and went away and concentrated on petrol hybrids... ever since then diesels have got more and more complicated and expensive chasing the rapidly diminishing returns of complex emissions controls....
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 07:08:08 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2020, 08:52:01 PM »
Diesel engines are good for taxis or for long distances. Around town and in traffic a diesel engine is not favored (hardly gets warm and low mpg).
Diesels are not good for taxis unless they are doing long distances. Most taxis are used in towns and for short distances. Their engines might not be subjected to cold starts as the drivers often keep the engine idling to provide heating but I suspect, having walked past plenty of these vehicles, that the noxious emissions are disproportionately high when this is done. Some urban local authorities are now actively discouraging diesel taxis while others are muttering about changes but don't want to upset the taxi drivers.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

JazzMusic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV Exec
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2020, 10:12:50 PM »
Diesels are not good for taxis unless they are doing long distances. Most taxis are used in towns and for short distances. Their engines might not be subjected to cold starts as the drivers often keep the engine idling to provide heating but I suspect, having walked past plenty of these vehicles, that the noxious emissions are disproportionately high when this is done. Some urban local authorities are now actively discouraging diesel taxis while others are muttering about changes but don't want to upset the taxi drivers.
I guess you are right. 20-30 years ago diesel were taxis very common. With my argument I thought about the engine always being warm because a diesel needs a lot of time to warm up. Driving short distances with the engine not getting warm at warm is even worse, for the engine itself and the environment.

Nowadays, >90% of all taxis in Switzerland are hybrids and most of them are Toyotas, best quality out money can buy. Not so sure about Germany as German people have to drive a local brand like Mercedes.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2020, 11:15:54 AM »
Huge fleet of Nissan Leaf taxis here. The council and NHS Fife also have fleets of the van equivalent.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2020, 05:13:30 PM »
This injection system should improve efficiency of hybrids,  Honda had something similar back in the 1970's but was too complex for electronics at the time maybe ?

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/technology/under-skin-how-mahle-reimagining-combustion-engine

and this from Swindon....

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/technology/under-skin-new-ev-motor-small-mighty-firm-behind-it
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 05:18:14 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: