Author Topic: Rubber burning smell  (Read 2820 times)

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
Rubber burning smell
« on: April 16, 2021, 07:41:40 PM »
Hi there, I was driving 4 days ago for about 40 minutes and the last 15 minutes of the journey I smelt a strong rubber burning or short circuit kind of a smell inside the car. I thought maybe someone was burning rubber or doing the tarmac on the road so the air was carrying the smell so I ignored.

Today I thought to check my emergency brakes and tested it up to the point where ABS was detected with the vibration activating. After 5 minutes or so I start getting that rubber smell again so ive stopped the car and start sniffing around and the smell was very strong on the rear passenger wheel side. On the very same side ive changed a caliper 1 month ago and rear pads n discs on both side. Since brakes has been changed my brakes are very spongy and the hand brake also feels weak. I'm due to see the guy who did the brake change tomorrow and wondering if any one of you could think of something from my scenarios what mentioned above please? Tia!

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Rubber burning smell
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 08:57:38 PM »
Did you feel the wheel, was it very hot.  If this happens after a period of driving it may be pads dragging on disc and then everything can get very hot indeed...

You may have a plastic bag stuck to exhaust, but because work has just been done on brakes I suspect dragging brake pads..
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 09:04:39 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

mj1sjc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 10:50:44 PM »
Why would brake pads drag you think? What can be done about it? They were new Pagid pads and discs...

Did you feel the wheel, was it very hot.  If this happens after a period of driving it may be pads dragging on disc and then everything can get very hot indeed...

You may have a plastic bag stuck to exhaust, but because work has just been done on brakes I suspect dragging brake pads..

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 08:49:08 AM »
Even though I had both rear callipers and pads replaced last year my handbrake occasionally doesn't release and I get the hot brakes smell. My mechanic suspects that it's the cable but has not been able to see the problem to be sure. It has only happened two or three times. It felt like the handbrake lever isn't pulling the cable. Last time it happened I was able to free it by pumping the brake pedal a few times whilst stopped on level ground.

Other discussions about this say it's important to clean the slide pins though I imagine yours are new.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 09:26:22 AM »
Why would brake pads drag you think? What can be done about it? They were new Pagid pads and discs...

Check the brake discs and wheels after a drive,  it may be a little warm but no more than that, if you can feel the radiated heat on your hand before you touch the disc then don't touch the disc, it will burn your hand.  Dragging brake pads have actually set vehicles on fire.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

mj1sjc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 05:20:54 PM »
You're spot on there!

So, I took the car to my mechanic friend and yes that wheel was so hot. He then checked the caliper ( which is a brand new one for £45 from Auto Dr) and confirmed the hand brake cable or the spring doesn't release fully...
He then removed the faulty caliper and put back the old one in until I get it returned and get a new one in. I saw one on Ebay for £44.40 with 2yr warranty and thinking to get that one from the UK instead as Eurocarts one comes to £120 after the discount and Carparts4less comes to £85 after the discount. Tge ebay one is the cheapest hoping it wouldn't be faulty too!
I also have to return the Pagid brake pads and get a different brand as he has shown me small pieces of metal popping up on the disc surface on the bads

Check the brake discs and wheels after a drive,  it may be a little warm but no more than that, if you can feel the radiated heat on your hand before you touch the disc then don't touch the disc, it will burn your hand.  Dragging brake pads have actually set vehicles on fire.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 08:36:05 AM »
The moving parts in a disc caliper are mainly the two halves of the caliper which slide sideways on pins and the piston itself which sits in the caliper piston bore in elastic "rubbery"  seals.  The "springiness" of the caliper piston seals can deteriorate  due to hardening over time and the sliding action of the caliper halves can seize due to road dirt and corrosion,  all these can prevent the brake releasing  and lead to drag and overheating
As an alternative to starting afresh with potentially dubious Ebay non-OEM calipers,  is is possible to buy an overhaul kit with new seals, pins and piston to refurbish the OEM Honda caliper? Yamaha sold such overhaul kits for their  motorbikes, motorbike disc brakes are more exposed to road dirt  and are not shielded by the wheel in the case of a car.
Can anyone post a link to a brake overhaul kit for a Jazz?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 08:37:51 AM by E27006 »

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 08:39:22 AM »

The moving parts in a disc caliper are mainly the two halves of the caliper which slide sideways on pins and the piston itself which sits in the caliper piston bore in elastic "rubbery"  seals.  The "springiness" of the caliper piston seals can deteriorate  due to hardening over time and the sliding action of the caliper halves can seize due to road dirt and corrosion,  all these can prevent the brake releasing  and lead to drag and overheating
As an alternative to starting afresh with potentially dubious Ebay non-OEM calipers,  is is possible to buy an overhaul kit with new seals, pins and piston to refurbish the OEM Honda caliper? Yamaha sold such overhaul kits for their  motorbikes, motorbike disc brakes need regular yearly overrhauls as they are more exposed to road dirt  and are not shielded by the wheel in the case of a car.
Can anyone post a link to a brake overhaul kit for a Jazz?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 10:28:16 AM by E27006 »

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 12:22:13 PM »
Have you tried a search on biggred.co.uk
By reg or Jazz model

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 07:54:16 PM »
By reg or Jazz model

Biggred do seem to have all the kits of parts available to refurbish a Honda Jazz caliper, for around £20 to £25 per caliper.
Thank you for posting  the advice

mj1sjc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 08:03:07 AM »
But there caliper seems to be more expensive than carparts4less or Ebay...
I guess buying the repair kit is cheaper for those who knows how to do.

By reg or Jazz model

Biggred do seem to have all the kits of parts available to refurbish a Honda Jazz caliper, for around £20 to £25 per caliper.
Thank you for posting  the advice

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 08:43:03 AM »
But there caliper seems to be more expensive than carparts4less or Ebay...
They do not supply callipers. You send them yours, they refurbish them and return them to you. You send them an OEM part, you get an OEM part back.

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2021, 09:38:55 AM »
( which is a brand new one for £45 from Auto Dr)

Would that be from AutoDoc.co.uk ?
I notice Autodoc offer a variety of non-OEM, as well as 'remanufactured' £100+ calipers from Bosch, Ferodo, Budweg etc.

Do you recall what brand of caliper you purchased?

I came across this video showing how to refurb Honda rear calipers
https://youtu.be/KqrOyDlbLvI
A bit more complex than simpler front calipers.

I fitted new Bremetch (Brakes International) front calipers after failing miserably 3 times to order a set of Pagid remanufactured calipers from carparts4less due to problems with their website.   Also fitted new Pagid discs and pads without too much trouble a few months ago. Only minor issue was with shims not fitting Pagid pads properly.

Still undecided what to about the rear calipers in long term.  Factory original rear brake parts are working fine despite age, so no hurry to change anything for the moment.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 09:48:55 AM by bill888 »
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

mj1sjc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2021, 11:34:10 AM »
Ohh okay,

So, do i have to send mine 1st and wait until they repair it or buy theirs and once mine are changed send my old one back?

( which is a brand new one for £45 from Auto Dr)

Would that be from AutoDoc.co.uk ?
I notice Autodoc offer a variety of non-OEM, as well as 'remanufactured' £100+ calipers from Bosch, Ferodo, Budweg etc.

Do you recall what brand of caliper you purchased?

I came across this video showing how to refurb Honda rear calipers
https://youtu.be/KqrOyDlbLvI
A bit more complex than simpler front calipers.

I fitted new Bremetch (Brakes International) front calipers after failing miserably 3 times to order a set of Pagid remanufactured calipers from carparts4less due to problems with their website.   Also fitted new Pagid discs and pads without too much trouble a few months ago. Only minor issue was with shims not fitting Pagid pads properly.

Still undecided what to about the rear calipers in long term.  Factory original rear brake parts are working fine despite age, so no hurry to change anything for the moment.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2021, 11:36:12 AM »
With Big Red, yes.

Tags:

anything