Author Topic: Honda Swindon machinery sale  (Read 5487 times)

IanG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk4 Jazz EX
Honda Swindon machinery sale
« on: March 24, 2021, 06:19:20 PM »
Honda Swindon factory machinery up for sale, including new industrial robots, still in packing crates.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/19157827.machinery-equipment-hondas-swindon-plant-sold-online/

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Honda Swindon machinery sale
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 06:35:00 PM »
I'd like one of those for the front garden!

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 06:46:29 PM »
I could buy my old desk & PC  :)
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 07:45:55 PM »
https://www.gordonbrothers.co.uk/assets-for-sale/assets/h/honda-uk

Loads of cool stuff for sale. No idea what to do with it though!  8)

Anyone fancy a "Haden Drysys Int - Drive through vehicle rain simulator for final checking of bodywork for external water leaks"?? Might take some explaining to her indoors!

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 11:24:33 PM »
https://www.gordonbrothers.co.uk/assets-for-sale/assets/h/honda-uk

Loads of cool stuff for sale. No idea what to do with it though!  8)

Anyone fancy a "Haden Drysys Int - Drive through vehicle rain simulator for final checking of bodywork for external water leaks"?? Might take some explaining to her indoors!

Reckon you could modify that to be a drive through car wash.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 11:34:53 PM »

Just what I thought, I reckon it would be right up Westy's alley!

cornishpasty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 ES 1.4iVTEC
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 12:51:02 AM »
Jokes aside, what a shame the plant is closing. All those jobs, the families depending on that income, local economy, and the supply chain. I could not understand why the engine for the Civic Type R was built in Ohio, shipped here, then put in a Swindon built body, then shipped back to the states

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 04:39:18 AM »
Knee jerk reaction to a full Brexit that never happened.
Let's be careful out there !

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 07:29:17 AM »
I don't care about the machinery, but I'd love to have that land, including the old runway  ;D
I have spent several weeks on the hotel, which was just south of the plant without knowing what was behind that embankment..

IanG

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk4 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 07:52:16 AM »
I wonder if, in Honda’s case, the issues were beyond Brexit concerns.
The factory was not producing the volumes it once was and sales in Europe for Honda and many other non European car manufacturers have declined, although I think the Toyota Yaris sells well in Europe, using French and Polish factories. Supermini sector cars are still strong sellers, although with lower profit margins, whereas the Civic model produced in the UK may have been impacted more by the move towards crossover designs.
It would have been good to see UK HRV and return of CRV production, which may then have achieved greater volumes.
Honda have also shut a factory in Turkey and Philippines, so perhaps they are consolidating production to fewer plants, closer to their larger markets.
I guess the EU/Japan trade deal which removes the 10% Japanese made car tariff, I think in 2026, reduces the cost benefit of having EU car plants, so this may have contributed to the plant closure announcement, at a time when decisions needed to be made regarding investments for successor model production.

The coming years will be very disruptive for the car industry and for us as drivers. I’m hoping my Jazz will last me until things have settled down and we have a clearer picture of the situation: I don’t want to buy an electric car until the technology, range and charging infrastructure has improved and hopefully the prices fall.
Maybe there will be a resurgence in road side catering, Little Chef style, with everyone having a meal whilst their cars are on charge in the car park. Looking forward to the free lollipop in exchange for an empty plate!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 08:38:57 AM by IanG »

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 08:39:52 AM »

:D Nah, my cars don't go near any form of automated or commercial wash process. Bucket and mitt are best.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2021, 08:55:13 AM »
I guess the EU/Japan trade deal which removes the 10% Japanese made car tariff, I think in 2026, reduces the cost benefit of having EU car plants, so this may have contributed to the plant closure announcement, at a time when decisions needed to be made regarding investments for successor model production.

That's the key to it, consolidation - especially of shrinking ICE vehicle manufacture.

Although import tariffs don't apply between the UK and the EU, the EU/Japan trade deal will gradually diminish the advantage of manufacturing within the EU. There is also the additional complication that trade between the UK & EU, whilst tariff free for vehicles, is no longer frictionless outside of the single market.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2021, 09:35:14 AM »
Knee jerk reaction to a full Brexit that never happened.

A manufacturer I used to work for had contracts to supply parts to Swindon ( as well as many other car makers, including some based in Europe ).  Even back in about 2010 Swindon was taking only about 25% of the capability of our production cells,  which are sized to provide their anticipated demand.  Swindon was a former BMC plant - and like many parts of that fragmented group was old fashioned in its layout,  with twisting assembly lines.   After Honda joint manufacturing tie-up with Rover was destroyed by H M Government in about 1994 in favour of BMW just the Swindon plant remained in Honda hands.  Honda were pissed off because many of their drawings and components fell into BMW hands, and BMW were only ever interested in Jaguar / LandRover division anyway and ran the car divisions down - and in early 2000's  the X3 and X5 appeared - using LR 4x4 knowledge.  Unlike their success in rest of the world Honda has never been a big player in Europe anyway - a combination of misplaced loyalty to brands like VW and badge snobbery.  Honda will consolidate its manufacturing in its larger markets like Asia and USA.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/swindon-factory-closure-how-honda-got-europe-so-wrong
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2021, 09:54:57 AM »
Swindon was a former BMC plant - and like many parts of that fragmented group was old fashioned in its layout,  with twisting assembly lines.

The Swindon Honda factory was never a BMC plant, it was built from the ground up by Honda on the old Marston Aerodrome site in 1986.

The only BMC plant in Swindon was Pressed Steel, that transferred to BMW and is still going, making parts for BMW Mini.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 10:08:09 AM by sparky Paul »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2021, 11:24:10 AM »
I remember, years ago, watching a program where they stated that in the UK, due to the conveyor belt system, workers only had a short time to fit a part.

If the part didn't quite fit it was a 'best effort' job.

In Japan however, it a part didn't fit, the conveyor was briefly stopped to allow the worker to ensure it was fitted properly.

Don't know if it's true but I remember the program clearly.
Let's be careful out there !

Tags: