Author Topic: Wishbone Replacement  (Read 1933 times)

gtd2000

• Approved Member
  • Tell it as it is..NOT how it should be!
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz
Wishbone Replacement
« on: February 18, 2020, 11:29:54 PM »
Well that was a fun job, Not!

Watched this video on Youtube and it looks pretty straightforward...... ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvFaX8Ml6YE&t=202s

I can assure you it does not take <7 minutes to perform this repair in Scotland by any stretch of the imagination!

First problem.
The horizontal bolt that is accessed from the front of the car would not come out even with an air gun tool. Had to use a long breaker bar with a 17mm socket and could only manage about 1.8th of a turn at each time... This was a real ball ache!

Rear 19mm nut that fastens vertically wasn't too difficult but much grunting and sweating involved - air tool still would not shift it!

Second major problem was the ball joint nut, not a hope in hell of removing one of these from a car in the UK that's been on since it left the factory. Took way longer that it should but eventually settled on grinding off the wishbone, then getting access to the ball joint from font and back.

Eventually the nut was cut off and then pressure applied and a tap with a hammer had it free.

Refitting the replacement wishbone may well have taken all of 10 minutes - lots of anti seize compound applied in case this needs to be repeated in future years.

Wishbone was only £22.48 delivered from eBay!

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
Re: Wishbone Replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 10:32:37 AM »
I had a wishbone replaced last October for the MOT and they had to cut it off. I got the impression it was a real pig of a job.
Also they said make sure I put it in for the next MOT in good time before the 1 year guarantee on the wishbone runs out. Seems the cheap parts are known to fail.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 12:23:58 PM »
I had a wishbone replaced last October for the MOT and they had to cut it off. I got the impression it was a real pig of a job.
Also they said make sure I put it in for the next MOT in good time before the 1 year guarantee on the wishbone runs out. Seems the cheap parts are known to fail.

It's not really that bad a job if the various fasteners are not seized.

I worked in the USA for a while and my old car there was still like it left the factory. It really was a joy working on a Florida car.  At the time the car (Nissan 240SX) was 25+ years old. Brake pipes were still as new, unbelievable!

All of the nuts and bolts have been well coated in copper grease, so any future repairs should be a relative breeze...

Fingers crossed, it won't need much work for a while though!

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 06:53:00 PM »
Just had a drive in the car after the replacement of the wishbone, the steering wheel is certainly quite a bit out of alignment from the previous position...  :-X

It's driving straight and true as far as I can tell though...

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 09:23:58 PM »
Taking mine out was easy enough, getting it back in (without dismantling the hub) was a pure pig. Especially on a December evening in Scotland. Took almost an hour including a new drop link. Mine has been on over three years now.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 07:45:50 AM »
Just had a drive in the car after the replacement of the wishbone, the steering wheel is certainly quite a bit out of alignment from the previous position...  :-X

It's driving straight and true as far as I can tell though...

Oops, I forgot to say I had the same and the tracking needed to be done.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 01:06:54 PM »
Taking mine out was easy enough, getting it back in (without dismantling the hub) was a pure pig. Especially on a December evening in Scotland. Took almost an hour including a new drop link. Mine has been on over three years now.

The car had also failed on the drop link as well. The drop link was only bought last November (2018) and I was not exactly pleased to be told the rubber had failed.

Luckily, I'd used plenty of coppaslip grease and it came off no problem at all. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Replaced it and phoned up for an argument.
MOT tester apologised and said it should have been an advisory....

I think this is the last time I ever use the local Kwik Fit for an MOT as I've had problems with the last three appointments now.

Previously, they were very objective but now, anything but.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 01:32:57 PM »
The car had also failed on the drop link as well. The drop link was only bought last November (2018) and I was not exactly pleased to be told the rubber had failed.

Luckily, I'd used plenty of coppaslip grease and it came off no problem at all. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Replaced it and phoned up for an argument.

I think this is the last time I ever use the local Kwik Fit for an MOT as I've had problems with the last three appointments now.

Split rubber should be a failure under the new rules... but as there was nothing wrong with it, it shouldn't have been mentioned at all, of course. Some garages look for work like that, if they think they can get away with it.

On the new MOT system, testers have to select faults from a predetermined drop-down list - a damaged rubber is classed as a 'major' fault, and is therefore a failure. Ironically, movement in the joint is now a 'minor', and therefore only an advisory. Potty.

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 08:31:06 PM »

Split rubber should be a failure under the new rules... but as there was nothing wrong with it, it shouldn't have been mentioned at all, of course. Some garages look for work like that, if they think they can get away with it.

On the new MOT system, testers have to select faults from a predetermined drop-down list - a damaged rubber is classed as a 'major' fault, and is therefore a failure. Ironically, movement in the joint is now a 'minor', and therefore only an advisory. Potty.

I think the local place just makes things up now.

Here's the post test remarks:

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

Items removed from driver's view prior to test ()

Nothing was removed...

Nearside Front Child Seat fitted not allowing full inspection of adult belt ()

Child seat was not fitted.
Offside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))

Not corroded but certainly covered in grease.

Nearside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))

Not corroded but certainly covered in grease. This was not mentioned at all in the first test.

Offside Front Service brake binding but not excessively (1.2.1 (f))

I would have said it was the nearside as it was very difficult to compress the piston back into the caliper...

Nearside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement rear bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))

No idea about that one but it looked fine to me.

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 11:10:17 PM »
Well I took the car into National this week to get the steering aligned.

Said the O/S was out by 14 degrees?

£15 later (there's a 50% off voucher online) I headed back home with a perfectly aligned steering wheel!

Here's the voucher if anybody needs an alignment:

https://www.national.co.uk/download-voucher/wheelalignment/

Tags:

anything