Author Topic: Battery tips  (Read 2388 times)

AlexS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: HONDA JAZZ 1.3 I-VTEC S 5-DOOR 2017.
Battery tips
« on: March 23, 2020, 09:08:40 PM »
Hi

I have a 2017 HONDA JAZZ 1.3 I-VTEC S 5-DOOR.
This doesn't come with a battery charger does it?

Because of COVID-19 I've hardly driven it, I guess I'm going to need to charge it up? I suspect after a month it will die?

Can anybody recommend a decent battery charger to charge at home? and also a decent jump starter?

I guess what I should do is take out and charge the battery, then put it back leaving the positive connection off the battery?

Note it's parked in the street, charging the battery means I have to take it out. I assume this is simple to do?

Sorry for a lot of basic questions...Thx.
2017 HONDA JAZZ 1.3 I-VTEC S 5-DOOR - Orange Sunset II

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Battery tips
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 09:13:12 PM »
I left my MK3 for 6weeks and it started with no problems when I came to start it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 09:16:43 PM »
I left my MK3 for 6weeks and it started with no problems when I came to start it.

thats good to know, ive only left mine for two week before

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 12:29:18 AM »
I've got the exact same model as you Alex, it has a very large battery for a 1.3 litre engine (to run the stop/start system), so it should stay charged enough for at least one good start for a very long time, if you are worried about it, start it up and run it on the spot for 20 minutes or so and this should recharge the battery from the alternator.

AlexS

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 01:00:07 AM »
Thanks for the tip!
After that I might take off the battery positive connector and leave it.

If anybody has any tips on home chargers and jump starter models please let me.know!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 09:17:50 AM »
After that I might take off the battery positive connector and leave it.
Be aware that disconnecting the battery may cause loss of data, such as radio/nav codes.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 09:44:50 AM »
I easiest mistake is to leave the interior light on, as I did!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 10:45:53 AM »
This is a decent charger ( been using one for motorbike and one for our two cars for a while now, as well as fitted a couple for family members who don't use cars much ),  can leave it connected all the time as after it has charged the battery and checked it and is happy it goes into 'float mode' at about 13.5 to 13.7 volts https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/charging_at_high_and_low_temperatures  (depending on temperature ) - supplied with a plug in cable with normal clips and also a plug in permanent 'ring' terminal lead ( crimped on 6.5mm tags that fit over the M6 bolts on battery clamps ) the positive lead of the permanent cable is fused so that if anything gets shorted it blows the fuse and protects the battery and cable.  The permanent connection lead is long enough to reach outside the car if you can wiggle it through a gap and cable tie it, and plug has a clip-on waterproof cover. 

The SAE leads are now standard on pretty much every battery charger now,  and replaced the lighter duty Tamiya type ( used by model makers to connect their batteries ) that were popular a few years ago.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DW6RHN2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You have over 1.8 metres from 13amp plug to charger and then 1.5 metres from charger to end of 12volt lead SAE plug, the permanent fused lead supplied to fit to battery is about 500mm long.

and also got an extra an extension lead

12 foot long     https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

24 foot long  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MZZGHNK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 11:10:30 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Andyjm15

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 SE manual. Lunar silver
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 11:17:49 AM »

That’s good to know. One less thing to worry about.
If our online supermarket order arrives next week I probably won’t be using it for some time, so I might put a bit more air in the tyres to stop them flat spotting, and then relax.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 11:30:45 AM »
A battery that is below 80% charged will still start a car,  but the best place to keep a lead acid battery is in the top 20% of charge for longest life.  Although flooded stop / start batteries are designed to operate at lower charge states without as much damage to the chemistry as normal battery ( deep cycle ) it is still better to keep them within top 20% - below 80% sulphation of plates can start -  so unlike BEV lithium batteries that suffer damage being kept above 80% charged,  lead acid last longer if kept in top 20%.

https://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technical/automotive-battery-operating-states-lifespan-replacement-conditions/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

AlexS

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2020, 12:19:41 AM »
Thanks folks.

So anybody got a decent jump starting device that works?? I've bought a couple in the past but always returned them as they were crap.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2020, 08:26:40 AM »
Jump leads.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2020, 10:24:10 AM »
Jump leads.

+1

...or a substantial mains powered starter/charger.

The portable battery packs are not going to help you with a stone flat battery.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2020, 10:52:06 AM »
I've had one of these Machine Mart charger/starter units for over 20 years .

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/bc410e-battery-charger-engine-starter/

It certainly does the business, maybe a bit OTT for cars like the Jazz, but there are smaller versions available from the same stable. In the days when I had Landrovers, it would start a 2.2L diesel, without any problem and will charge up to 25amps
However, not a particularly light unit to carry about, but highly recommended

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2020, 01:39:48 PM »
I have heavy duty jump leads that started a humungous camper van last week..(My neighbour borowed it).

Lots of thick copper cables.. twnety years old and worth its weight in gold...or is it copper?

Tags:

anything