Author Topic: Roof Rack Tracks?  (Read 1940 times)

ssashton

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2 2012 L12B
Roof Rack Tracks?
« on: November 21, 2023, 12:34:01 PM »
Hi everyone,

I want to add a roof rack to my Jazz MK2 that has gutters / tracks on the roof. However all the bars I see online seem to be the type that clamp on the edge of the doors.

I have not taken the plastic out the roof tracks, are there fixing points under there? Are there roof bars that do not clamp around the door?

I want to keep them permanently installed so would prefer no clamps.

Thanks!

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Roof Rack Tracks?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2023, 05:19:23 PM »
Sorry i dont think any jazz  has roof tracks as such.  The rubber strips are just dummies to fill the roof panel  join.  The only option would be the  door  edge clamps type. 

But I might be wrong.  The mk 4 Crosstar does have  exposed roof rails that must  bolt on in some way   so there is a slight chance that even the mk 2 might have  threaded holes or a raised seam that can be gripped by a clamp  hidden under the strips.
If you are able to remove the rubber strips  (and replace them if necessary) without damage and do  find a possible mounting point you still face the problem of  having to design  and make your own suitable  mounting clamps.  A big job if its to be safe and look acceptable.

A few  cars (but not the Jazz) have  fixed mounting points accessible through little sliding hatches built into the roof strips.  The renault megane for instance the hatches reveal a raised seam that can be gripped by clamps made specially for the megane.  A few other cars might use the same design.  But the chances of the  Jazz having anything that might work for clamps made for   another car  are remote I would have thought. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 10:53:57 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

ssashton

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2 2012 L12B
Re: Roof Rack Tracks?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 02:07:10 PM »
Thank you. I'll have a look under the strips if they come out easily.

Tags:

anything