Author Topic: Car insurance increase  (Read 2077 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Car insurance increase
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2021, 03:47:32 PM »
I have a personal friend who is an insurance broker, been in business since 1971 so very experienced.

He can compete on house insurance but he can't compete on car insurance for my medium/high area.

He has told me of many instances where he has picked up business because of a small print rejected claim because they chose a cheap policy from a comparison site. He was the one who told me that it's known by brokers that insurance companies cut cover, my bare bones statement,  so they appear in a search 'top 5' as that's where the vast majority buy from.

I've just remembered one time he told me of a customer who came in to see if he could better his previous years insurance. When reading through the t&c he asked the customer whether he was aware that his comparison site policy didn't cover him at night because he'd only had his licence a few years.
Only found in the small print, not clearly highlighted.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 03:57:38 PM by Kremmen »
Let's be careful out there !

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2021, 04:22:56 PM »
Fair points. A broker can be a good option. I've used A plan in the past and found them very helpful.

The small print just goes on so long, it is impossible to read it all. I make a list of a few points that are relevant to me, and take it from there. The Defaqto rating is useful in assesing quality too.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2021, 07:55:16 PM »
I've just remembered one time he told me of a customer who came in to see if he could better his previous years insurance. When reading through the t&c he asked the customer whether he was aware that his comparison site policy didn't cover him at night because he'd only had his licence a few years.
Only found in the small print, not clearly highlighted.

It's a fair point, I've said many times that for anyone with unusual policy needs, such as the very young, old, inexperienced, lack of NCD, poor driving record, etc., consulting a broker is often the best option.

For the rest of us with with simpler insurance needs, there's nothing wrong with using comparison sites. Insurers don't concoct special stripped down policies for these websites, they are all standard internet policy offerings - and you must be issued with a statement of particulars which details the levels of cover, and any onerous conditions, clearly.

Black box curfew policies are available on the comparison sites, but you had to opt-in to have them included in the results when I was looking at insurance for my eldest. I fail to see how you could buy one of these policies by accident.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

• Trader
  • Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2021, 08:38:53 PM »
Hi.
If anyone does need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Happyarry

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi i-vtec CVT
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2021, 02:21:53 PM »
I've mentioned before, have been with the same Ins Broker since I started driving in early 1960's. Ok he's a friend but still has to quote me.
I have always had a good price and on the one occasion I had to claim I was covered fully with very small excess and I didn't have to do a thing, my car collected and delivered along with a hire car for the week I was without mine.

The last quote I had was over £70 more than the cheapest comparison site and when I rang my broker to tell him I actually got a better price than any online, about which I was very surprised.
I will always stick with the guy I know as long as he's not ridiculously more expensive than elsewhere .

Harry

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2021, 03:40:01 PM »
Sometimes a little more £ gives a lot more cover Harry. Sounds like your broker is looking after you there.  :D

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2021, 03:53:35 PM »
The last quote I had was over £70 more than the cheapest comparison site and when I rang my broker to tell him I actually got a better price than any online, about which I was very surprised.

That's fair enough, the only tiny criticism I would make is why did he originally quote you £70+ more than he eventually charged you? As I say, it's only a small criticism, as they all do it to see if you pay up.

You're going about it exactly the right way, using the comparison sites to see what what sort of price you should be paying. Smashing. As said earlier in the thread, look upon these sites as a tool, nothing else.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2021, 03:56:33 PM »
Sometimes a little more £ gives a lot more cover Harry. Sounds like your broker is looking after you there.  :D

I always used to use a broker, then went to places like AA who always tried to rip you off come renewal time,  so went back to using a broker, you can develop a relationship with them,  they understand who you are, what you need and they understand the insurance system - I always get a decent renewal quote - and know that broker can help if I ever need to make a claim.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Happyarry

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi i-vtec CVT
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2021, 11:48:08 AM »

That's fair enough, the only tiny criticism I would make is why did he originally quote you £70+ more than he eventually charged you? As I say, it's only a small criticism, as they all do it to see if you pay up.

You're going about it exactly the right way, using the comparison sites to see what what sort of price you should be paying. Smashing. As said earlier in the thread, look upon these sites as a tool, nothing else.

Ha ha, I know what you mean but as an ex business man myself I would be more worried if my broker didn't try to squeeze every penny from me. What IS important to me is that he is receptive when I challenge it. As said, I am happy to pay a little over the odds for the service and peace of mind, however as I only ever used his services ONCE in almost 60 years even that is sounding questionable. ;D.

Tags:

anything