Author Topic: Bulb replacement & MOT  (Read 4611 times)

JazzMan2018

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 53mpg
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4 SE CVT
Bulb replacement & MOT
« on: March 08, 2019, 05:11:22 PM »
Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before....

Can anyone guide me as to how to remove replace rear numberplate bulbs - one has failed

Assume its an MOT failure too?

Also - one sidelight bulb has failed & I have seen that the front bulb assemblies are really hard to get to - wheel and liner removal etc? Will this bulb need to be replaced to pass the MOT or can I leave it?

Thanks

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Bulb replacement & MOT
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 05:32:34 PM »
Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before....

Can anyone guide me as to how to remove replace rear numberplate bulbs - one has failed

Assume its an MOT failure too?

Also - one sidelight bulb has failed & I have seen that the front bulb assemblies are really hard to get to - wheel and liner removal etc? Will this bulb need to be replaced to pass the MOT or can I leave it?

Thanks

You can replace from outside the car by unclipping the clear plastic cover and pulling old bulb out.  Opening the tailgate to lift the number plate up to eye level helps,  you may well find the ubiquitous 'car spiders' under there,  they love behind the wing mirrors and in the cubby hole where the number plate lights live.   

They are W5W ( 501 ) same as front sidelights

Your car will fail MOT with any external bulb not working, you will find posts on forum explaining how to get to front headlight and side light bulbs,  you are best getting wheel off and unclipping plastic underguarding behind headlight - while you are in there I would replace headlight bulb as well....

It is a PITA to get to headlight bulbs and hard to get bulb out once you get to them, if you do decide to replace the H4 headlight bulb whatever you do do not touch the glass bit with your fingers,  the oil and sweat on your fingers will leave a deposit on the special high temperature glass and when the bulb heats up the glass will melt and 'blow a bubble' out the side of bulb and your headlight goes dark :(

If you do touch the bulb wipe glass thoroughly with methylated spirit or isopropyl achohol and dry it with clean tissue ( those spectacle cleaning wipes in the little personal sachets normally have isopropyl alcohol in them ).

It helps to get bulb back in ( bulb retainer spring clip gets in the way) if you remember that the widest 'tag' ( of the 3 on the bulb base)  points vertically upwards,  make sure you seat bulb and refit the retaining spring properly.

Here is link to a thread, there is a fitfreaks ( Honda Jazz is called Fit in USA ) link in there that will  help

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=5321.msg23660#msg23660

Don't fit a 90 or 100watt filament bulb like the fitfreaks guy did,  it will melt the plastic headlight cover in short order.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 06:30:10 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 05:51:14 PM »
Yes, number plate lenses just push to the side to unclip. If it won't slide one way try the other.

JazzMan2018

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 06:47:41 PM »
Thanks for info

Its the sidelight so higher up in the light cluster but a turn/pull holder so hopefully easier to fit (?!)

Number plates ones sound simple so will order both bulbs and hopefully sort next week

Thanks

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 06:50:47 PM »
Thanks for info

Its the sidelight so higher up in the light cluster but a turn/pull holder so hopefully easier to fit (?!)

Number plates ones sound simple so will order both bulbs and hopefully sort next week

Thanks

All I was saying is that it is such a PITA to access rear of headlight it is best to replace both bulbs at same time ( the W5W sidelight and the H4 headlight bulb ) - plenty of advice on forum about headlight bulbs,  use the search function.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JazzMan2018

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 06:55:33 PM »
Thanks

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 07:46:33 AM »
I had to do this a few weeks back. Didn't take a wheel off though, just turned full lock, removed three clips and pushed the wheel arch liner back. The first took over 15 mins but the second less than ten.
Did both because I put LEDs in, brighter and shouldn't need doing again.
Good luck
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

JazzMan2018

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 10:16:28 AM »
Cheers

Most youtube vids etc only mention 1 clip - but only to pull the liner back, not remove

Did you take all 3 clips off so you could remove the whole liner or have I got that wrong?

Cheers

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 03:42:21 PM »
Trust me unless you have the arms of a six year old I would take the wheel off ( check the brakes while you are at it ).  I used to replace headlight bulbs on our GD's every 12  months during warm summer weather ( I had an 40 mile each way daily B road commute and the higher brightness bulbs I used to get had a life of about 15 months, so rather do the change on a nice summer's day than have a bulb go out on a dark cold winters morning or evening, the plastic underguarding is also more flexible in warm weather, in the cold it can crack when bent). I also used to take out more clips and get the guarding well out of the way.

JazzMan2018

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 05:31:21 PM »
Thanks

I think I'll spend a bit more time and take the wheel off first

Can you tell me where the other 2 clips are?

Appreciate everyone's help

Ta

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 05:55:27 PM »
With the hands of a 58 year old I managed it, though lying on my back. Can't describe where the clips are but work along the edge of the liner and you'll find them.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 06:15:37 PM »
Thanks

I think I'll spend a bit more time and take the wheel off first

Can you tell me where the other 2 clips are?

Appreciate everyone's help

Ta

I use any opportunity to take wheels off as a chance to check brake pads and spray a bit of motorbike chain lube around. It sprays on very easily as a thin liquid but quickly turns into a tenacious clingy layer as the solvents evaporate - it is rubber friendly too ( motorbike chains have 'O' rings in the links ) so spray brake hoses and nuts etc. I even spray suspension arms, steel brake pipes and all the threads I can see to stop corrosion, have also sprayed rubber bushings with it for many years to prevent them cracking and breaking up. 

JazzMan2018

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 07:34:12 PM »
Thanks everyone

Much appreciated

Tags:

anything