Author Topic: Yokohama tyre question  (Read 1224 times)

Bridgford

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2016
Yokohama tyre question
« on: January 17, 2021, 11:46:32 AM »
Hi guys,

My (petrol) 2016 Jazz just passed its MOT but with an advisory on 3 of the tyres.

I've found a good deal with F1 Autocentres on some 185/60/15/84/H Yokohama tyres (they have a sale on, a discount code, plus there's £20 Amazon vouchers via Vouchercloud too).

But these specific tyres — the Yokohama E50C — seem to have been designed and made specifically for the Honda Insight, which is a hybrid car.

From what I understand, hybrid cars are heavier, so I know that it's recommended to fit different kinds of tyres on them to take that extra weight.

But what about the other way round — would you expect any issues with fitting these tyres to my petrol model? Would I need to use different tyre pressures, etc?

Not much information about unfortunately so any advice would be great.

Here's a link to the tyres in question at KwikFit, as I can't link to them on the F1 website for some reason.

https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/search/tread/yokohama/yokohama-e50c

Thanks!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Yokohama tyre question
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 12:16:14 PM »
These tyres are designed for low rolling resistance and as such will give good economy. The tyre pressures will be the same as the Jazz normally uses. The Insight, being heavier, would have higher tyre pressures.

Yokohama show it as being suitable for the Jazz.

https://www.yokohama-online.com/Tyres/OE-Tyres/Honda

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 12:25:17 PM »
These tyres are 84 load index, which is the standard weight capacity for the size.

Low rolling resistance tread pattern for fuel economy, as Jocko says, but this usually comes with a trade off against outright grip.

Bridgford

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 12:41:54 PM »
Thank you both, that's really helpful and much appreciated.

So now I think I just need to choose between these and the Falken Sincera SN110, which is a little more expensive elsewhere. That one has an A wet grip rating on the EU label, although I know that isn't incredibly meaningful.

A pity there don't seem to be many reviews of this particular Yokohama tyre, at least not anywhere I can see!

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 03:37:01 PM »
You need to check the manufacturer s date for both sets of tyres. Some adverts are for old stock up to 30 months in a shed on a shelf. Ask for a photo of the DOT markings.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 04:09:23 PM »
You need to check the manufacturer s date for both sets of tyres. Some adverts are for old stock up to 30 months in a shed on a shelf. Ask for a photo of the DOT markings.

Believe it or not,  tyres up to 5 years old are considered 'new' by sellers.....

https://www.blackcircles.com/helpcentre/tyres/age-of-a-tyre
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Bridgford

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 04:35:06 PM »

Ah, interesting, and something else I didn't know about! Thanks.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 07:36:18 PM »
Believe it or not,  tyres up to 5 years old are considered 'new' by sellers.....

https://www.blackcircles.com/helpcentre/tyres/age-of-a-tyre
Never ask the vintner if the wine is good.

Tags: