Author Topic: Front Coil Springs  (Read 3546 times)

jazzavac

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz HS Hybrid
Front Coil Springs
« on: July 23, 2019, 10:44:24 AM »
Hi,

Both front coils springs failed on my car this morning. It must be some kind of inherited problem because both coil springs failed at exact the same place in exactly the same way at exactly the same time.

I checked parts catalogue and found that for Hybrid part number is 51401TK6A02 and for normal 2012 Jazz part number is: 51401TF0G11

Does anybody know, is it possible or safe to buy front coil springs for "normal" Jazz and put them on Hybrid, or source those designed specially for Hybrid?

According to some sources on Internet MONROE SP3981 will fit all JAZZ models. Can this be correct?
Any advice?

Thank you

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: Front Coil Springs
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 07:56:46 AM »
Have aword with your local Honda dealer parts chap, or search for a used pair from a vehicle breakers, best to stick with OE items.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 08:50:00 AM »
Aftermarket will often cover different types if there are only subtle differences in the spring rates. If they are listed by the manufacturer as suitable, they should be. Double check with the manufacturer's catalogue, rather than relying on any seller's data.

jazzavac

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 11:44:27 AM »
@John Ratsey
I contacted them and they offered the correct pair of coils for approx £103 delivered, which is not too bad.

Monroe SP3981 coil springs for all Honda Jazz models are £50-£60 for the pair delivered. Sellers say "it should fit" but ultimately "it is my responsibility".

@sparky Paul
I tried to check Monroe catalogue, but it requires username and password.
Are you aware of any other reputable manufacturer of coil springs where I can check?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 11:58:26 AM »
Do you have access to spring compression tool ?  also plus-gas for bolts.

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 09:16:42 PM »
@sparky Paul
I tried to check Monroe catalogue, but it requires username and password.
Are you aware of any other reputable manufacturer of coil springs where I can check?

I prefer Kayaba when I can get them, I had a quick flick through the catalogue here, but can't see Jazz Hybrid.

https://kyb-europe.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/KYB-2018-Coil-Springs.pdf

You should be able to see Monroe catalogue here without registering

https://www.monroecatalogue.eu/files/Springs-Catalogue-2016/

Looks like SP3891 listed for Jazz III 1.2, 1.3 HYBRID, 1.3i, 1.4, 1.5i, 1.5 Flexfuel

Hope this helps  :)

jazzavac

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 02:59:00 PM »
Thank you for all advice.

@sparky Paul
Thank you for the link to Monroe catalogue.

I did some further research and found that Monroe coils springs are always cheapest, and also one model of coil springs covers all models of Honda Jazz III.

Normally, I do not buy cheapest car parts, as I believe that would be false economy.
Also, I know that Jazz Hybrid is apprx 70 kg heavier then non-Hybrid model, and there may be some tweaks in suspension.
As I intend to keep the car for few more years, I decided to go with offer from Cox - pair of OEM front coil springs for £103 delivered.

I can only hope that the coil springs are only parts damaged during few miles drive to home after they broke.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 03:26:32 PM »
I had a Cavalier that was always breaking springs, and the only time I found them was when a mechanic checked car over. The broken springs never caused any further damage.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 08:52:58 AM »
As I intend to keep the car for few more years, I decided to go with offer from Cox - pair of OEM front coil springs for £103 delivered.

I can only hope that the coil springs are only parts damaged during few miles drive to home after they broke.

I can understand that, and the price is okay. That said, I have never had any problem with aftermarket springs or shockers, the only ones I have had break are OEM.

It's the front brake lines and abs wiring that's vulnerable, usually everything else survives a spring break OK.

jazzavac

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2019, 04:30:52 PM »
Just final update.

My trusted mechanic charged me £150 (£125 + VAT) for labour which includes:

- replacing of both front coil springs
- front wheels alignment adjustment
- oil and oil filter change (labour only)

Tags:

anything