Author Topic: What's the general feeling about diamond cut alloys?  (Read 4790 times)

guest1372

What's the general feeling about diamond cut alloys?
« on: January 22, 2018, 09:12:25 PM »
Many new cars seem to come with diamond cut / polished alloys these days instead of painted, I assume these have some sort of protective coating but to my eyes they look more susceptible to damage.  A chip on a painted wheel could be touched in & polished out but not sure what you could do with these.  A decent coat of wax is probably helpful but if the surface is finely textured then this (and clear coat if any) might not be that effective.

What have people's experiences of these been? 
--
TG

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: What's the general feeling about diamond cut alloys?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 07:10:15 AM »
Many new cars seem to come with diamond cut / polished alloys these days instead of painted, I assume these have some sort of protective coating but to my eyes they look more susceptible to damage.  A chip on a painted wheel could be touched in & polished out but not sure what you could do with these.  A decent coat of wax is probably helpful but if the surface is finely textured then this (and clear coat if any) might not be that effective.

What have people's experiences of these been? 
--
TG

my wifes GE Si came with diamond cut alloys and I don't like them,  they put clearcoat over the 'diamond cut' bits and it soon got scruffy and you can see the corrosion working its way under the clearcoat.   Black alloys next time and a touch of gloss Hammerite will soon cover any dings.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 07:46:41 AM »
Had them on previous cars. The last Qashqai had corrosion starting after it was less than two years old.

If the car is on PCP and / or you like to keep them looking nice and you damage them by kerbing them etc, I'm told that they're not easy to repair.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 08:01:49 AM »
I had them on a Focus, corrosion started in the second year.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 06:13:38 PM by Deeps »

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 11:05:29 AM »
Hmm, thanks.  That's kind of what I thought after walking along the street, if I keep my new car for 5 years then I'm sure they will end up looking rough no matter what I do to them.  Probably a passing fad anyway.
--
TG

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 10:28:43 PM »
my wifes GE Si came with diamond cut alloys and I don't like them,  they put clearcoat over the 'diamond cut' bits and it soon got scruffy and you can see the corrosion working its way under the clearcoat.   Black alloys next time and a touch of gloss Hammerite will soon cover any dings.
The diamond cut alloys on my HR-V have been replaced under warranty due to pitting (which shows up as white spots under the clearcoat). This appears to be a known problem for the HR-V alloys. I wait to see if the replacements last better but am considering changing wheels when the tyres need replacing so I can have higher profile tyres and an improved ride.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 06:54:57 PM »
A common problem across all makes - google White worm wheels. I read accounts on forums regarding difficulty in getting wheels replaced under warranty (can't comment about Honda).

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 07:26:42 PM »

A common problem across all makes - google White worm wheels. I read accounts on forums regarding difficulty in getting wheels replaced under warranty (can't comment about Honda).

Even BMW and Mercedes wheels get it.....  it is very expensive to get diamond cut wheels re-done (well over £100),  a lot more than getting normal wheels powder coated (normally about £50),  and you can get new alloys from mytyres etc. for not much more than £50 - £70 for normal sizes.

And here is a typical example from Nissan Qashqai  forum (looks the same as my wifes GE wheels)  once the worm get under the clearcoat it starts to flake off - proper pants....  I would not have diamond cut again.

https://www.qashqaiforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5425
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 08:42:55 PM »
Thanks for the update, I hope you have not been winding up the QQ forum.
--
TG

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 11:39:11 AM »
Even if you stay away from kerbs the corrosion can still set in near the centre cap.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 09:48:36 AM »
The diamond cut alloys on my HR-V have been replaced under warranty due to pitting (which shows up as white spots under the clearcoat). This appears to be a known problem for the HR-V alloys. I wait to see if the replacements last better but am considering changing wheels when the tyres need replacing so I can have higher profile tyres and an improved ride.

Echoing what John said. Two of the wheels on my HRV developed this and Honda flat out refused to replace them as there was minor curb damage elsewhere on the wheel. It was this attitude that contributed to my eventual decision to not get another Honda when I replaced the HRV.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 09:52:49 AM »
A mate of mine bought a brand new HRV and asked to have steel wheels fitted for that very reason.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 10:16:13 AM »
A mate of mine bought a brand new HRV and asked to have steel wheels fitted for that very reason.
Wise man.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 10:21:26 AM »
Wise man.
We both worked for the main Honda dealer at the time!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 10:38:22 AM »
Apparently the white worms get in even without kerbing, the slightest stone chip or knock (from having a new tyre fitted or a ding from a spanner when removing wheel)  damages the fragile clearcoat and once moisture and salt can get underneath the game is over - once the worms get in the clearcoat flakes off.

My advice is to stay away from diamond cut - a 'clear' case of style over practicality.

Tags:

anything