Author Topic: Air filter  (Read 2432 times)

jazzygirl

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015
Air filter
« on: November 09, 2017, 11:55:04 AM »
I had a second service done recently and see a new pollen filter was fitted ( not done on first service).  I seem to notice diesel fumes in car now  when idling in traffic.  Is this my imagination? can something be checked?  Is the pollen filter the same as the air filter or additional?  I suffer from asthma and fumes aggravate same but too late to whack on internal air setting when aware of trouble.  I am also guilty of cancelling the 'idle stop' feature when in traffic.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Air filter
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 12:05:04 PM »
Pollen filter filters air going into the car, air filter filters air going into the engine.
The pollen filter is found behind the glove box. Open it, press the sides of the glove box inwards and the whole box will open further.
The pollen filter is then visible, held in by two clips.
As long as it is there every thing should be okay.
Perhaps when you are in a traffic queue you could put the air flow on recycle instead of drawing the air in from outside.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 12:17:07 PM »
Perhaps the old filter was so badly choked you were almost on recirc all the time! No pollen filter, however good, will stop the smell of fumes, though they should take out the larger particles.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 05:15:48 PM »
Perhaps the old filter was so badly choked you were almost on recirc all the time! No pollen filter, however good, will stop the smell of fumes, though they should take out the larger particles.

Jocko

You beat me to it!

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 05:40:47 PM »
Or perhaps the new pollen filter is misfitted?

jazzygirl

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 09:54:57 PM »
Thanks for all that, so 'pollen filter'  would keep out other stuff besides pollen? We often get red dust from Africa and then there is general road dust.

So it should have been replaced at last service, surely designed as annual item rather than optional?  just checking bill and that was only additional item to explain price difference apart from labour/time.  I did mention asthma on arriving after being in heavy traffic to get there.  I hope the main air filter was also replaced tho not itemised on bill.

Thanks for useful information!

madasafish

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 10:24:29 PM »
Main air filters are every 40k kms..

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 09:30:40 AM »
My mechanic mate says they are supposed to check condition of filters at every service and replace if necessary or at fixed interval, I have bought cars between 2 and 3 years old from dealers (with full dealer service history LOL) and have been appalled by the condition of the filters, look like they spent their life down a coal mine.  Also seen rusty oil filters (only on the outside I hope) that look like original OEM fitted.   The filter they took out may have been so gunged up that hardly any air getting through it anyway.  Pollen filters are very fine and can easily get blocked,  they keep small particles out but not fumes,  it is the particles in diesel fumes that do the most damage to humans.

https://www.driving.co.uk/car-clinic/car-clinic-do-pollenintake-vehicle-filters-remove-harmful-exhaust-fumes/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 12:43:35 PM »
Holdcroft Honda (Stoke on Trent) maintained my Jazz under a 5 year maintenance plan. Full credit to them they did a great job - and I checked the air filter at the end of the 5 years and it was obviously nearly new.

A credit to a profession - not unusual - our local Toyota dealers - Pinkstone and RDG  (Macclesfield) - have been equally as good..

Perhaps it's my charm and youthful good looks.. 8)

Tags: