Author Topic: Help please  (Read 3184 times)

trevflstn

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz EX
Help please
« on: November 18, 2018, 10:55:51 PM »
Hi
I have a 2018 Mk3 EX (my second Jazz). Love everything about it except that on occasions at this time of year I get a huge amount of condensation on the inside of the windscreen, almost like raining inside with drops of water falling of the screen.
Had this on my previous Jazz but this one seems even worse. Takes ages to clear using the heater, fan and ac. If the car was older I would suspect the pollen filter but not in a 6 month old car.
Any advice / suggestions would be gratefully received.
Thanks in advance

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
Re: Help please
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 12:59:53 AM »
The only thing I can imagine is that either your aircon isn't actually working correctly or it is set at the wrong settings for the conditions.

If you are in the UK at this time of the year, your aircon is switched on, ventilation set to fresh air, not recirculating and the air is blowing onto the windscreen and the heat set to warm or hot then it should clear the screen after a couple of minutes at most, if you have had this problem on a previous car as well it probably isn't the car malfunctioning but something to do with the settings, if in doubt ask at the dealers for a demonstration of how to use the air con to it's best advantage, if it's not working properly they will be able to tell you and arrange repair.

Hope this helps, good luck

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 08:10:51 AM »
The second question is, where’s the water coming from ? There shouldn’t be that much water inside the car. Are any of the carpets, or the spare wheel well, wet ? If so that might indicate a leak that lets rainwater in, maybe a door seal.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 08:30:16 AM »
My guess is the Air Recirculation is not set to outside air. Do you have someone who keeps setting it to that?

We call it the 'Anti-smell button' and only ever engage it when we are passing the local sewerage works or in the vicinity of poorly serviced vehicles chucking out clouds of exhaust fumes. Otherwise, it is always on the fresh air setting.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 08:33:25 AM »
Beat me to it, my first thought was the air recirculation set to "on". This can make a huge difference in cool damp weather.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 08:51:10 AM »
Almost all(*) Honda's I've owned (and I've owned over half a dozen) have had problems with ventilation. Not as extreme as the OP describes but it's an area where I feel Honda are weak. In the case of the Jazz I find that during winter I have to drive around with the ventilation set to 'windscreen and feet' to prevent the screen from misting up. That was problematic with my Mk2 because after an hour it would suddenly switch to pumping cold air out. Thankfully the Mk3 doesn't have that problem.

But considering I have climate control and that the CC is clearly designed to address the issue I've still unimpressed. I mean on a cold evening it will automatically direct the vents to the screen, which shows Honda have thought about it. Unfortunately it only does it for about a minute which is pathetic.

(*)My first Honda, a Mk6 Civic was fine but then that was designed in conjunction with Rover.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 09:12:09 AM »
Even with air set to recirc if the aircon is working it should still be able to clear the windows as the system will be dealing with rapidly drying air inside the car and will not be dealing with fresh damp air from outside the car.  Just like the quickest way to cool the car in summer is to select aircon + recirc - in fact if you select  'quick clear' button or in the summer select a cold temperature on 'auto climate control' the system will automatically select recirc,  this means the car can concentrate on cooling a smaller amount of air rather than continually sucking in hat air from outside vehicle.  Downside of having recirc on for a long time is that air inside car can start to get a bit stale.

Prodding the 'quick clear' button is a good way to check if aircon is OK as it automatically turns on aircon, directs air to screen and ramps up the fan speed.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 09:21:03 AM »
None of the Jazz I've owned have been able to keep the windscreen clear in winter even with outside air coming in. By contrast the Nissan Sunnies and Almera I owned could be driven everywhere on recirc with nothing but a slight misting on the rear passenger quarter panels.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 09:43:58 AM »
I don't know if I have been lucky with my multitude of cars but I have only once had a mist up. A Focus on a hot damp day Aircon on but the recirc also inadvertently on.  I always run with Aircon on and rcirc off with the temperature set to comfortable and don't have a problem.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 10:20:11 AM »
I don't know if I have been lucky with my multitude of cars but I have only once had a mist up. A Focus on a hot damp day Aircon on but the recirc also inadvertently on.  I always run with Aircon on and rcirc off with the temperature set to comfortable and don't have a problem.
Yeah it's odd. Maybe location? I driven around with my Dad and his partner in his Citroen C3 and we never had a problem, so I don't think I'm unusually 'moist'. But a twenty minute commute with the climate control set to Auto at this time of year will see the windscreen and windows starting to mist up.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 01:54:40 PM »
I will agree that most of the Hondas I have had have been a bit slow to clear even with the aircon on and the screen setting. A quick blast of the screen only setting often helps.

Day to day not too much of a problem - at this time of year I leave the aircon on all the time and that keeps the car reasonably dry.

guest4871

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 02:53:00 PM »
Yeah it's odd. Maybe location? I driven around with my Dad and his partner in his Citroen C3 and we never had a problem, so I don't think I'm unusually 'moist'. But a twenty minute commute with the climate control set to Auto at this time of year will see the windscreen and windows starting to mist up.

Are the ventilation holes in the boot clear?

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 03:20:02 PM »
I  am on my fifth Jazz and have never had a demisting problem with any of them. I don't use the climate control in the winter however as I don't like the way it distributes the air or the fan speed it selects. I set it manually to screen and feet and control the temperature.
Having recirculate selected in the winter will definitely cause misting problems as the humidity in the car is higher than summer months, caused by damp clothes and damp passengers.
As has been said the ventilation exhaust holes in the boot must be kept clear to allow a through flow of air. They are at the back of the boot in the door sill where the boot lock catch is.

Vic.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 03:23:38 PM by VicW »

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 04:57:10 PM »

Are the ventilation holes in the boot clear?
Hmmm. Sorta. I keep my golf gear in there though so it's pretty full of stuff.

trevflstn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz EX
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 08:53:39 PM »
Thanks for the many replies and suggestions. A couple I have tried but several I have not. I do on occasions have wet dogs in the car which doesn't help but the condensation can literally be rivers running down the inside of the screen.
As far as I know all vents are clear and the AC is working so it is probably something I am doing wrong.
I'll give the suggested options a go and see how we get on
Thanks again

Tags: