Author Topic: Mk3 model longevity?  (Read 7884 times)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: Mk3 model longevity?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2018, 04:20:53 PM »
Really, do explain. I have had no quality issues with my two Japanese built Jasses. I stopped buying British built cars decades ago, the quality was appaling.
I've already mentioned this several times. The only Honda I've ever had any problems with was my current Mk3 Jazz which was the first Honda I bought that wasn't built in the UK.

The problem with British built cars in the 70s/80s and early 90s was down to incompetent management and union interference. With decent management in place and the unions reigned in the British workers were able to do the excellent job there were capable of.

I don't care about the politics. The cars were rubbish. So I voted with my wallet, as did the rest of the world, and bought Japanese and then Korean when their quality matched the Japanese, even though the Korean cars were built in Europe. I have been fortunate to have travelled extensively and have lived in Australia. British built cars are a rarity in most places, although now foreign owned British names like Land Rover are coming back.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 04:35:02 PM by Skyrider »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2018, 04:49:23 PM »
British built cars were terrible, but when Japanese cars started appearing in the UK they were even worse. They weren't known as "Jap crap" for nothing. Then they got good and we started getting Kia and Proton cars selling here, and they were as bad as the early Japanese built cars. Remember the Kia Pride?
Mind you, Europe (with the exception of Germany) wasn't much better. FIAT (Fix It Again Tomorrow) springs to mind.
And don't get me started of Lada and Skoda!

I had a mate bought a brand new Skoda Estelle, back in 1976, and it broke down on the 7 mile drive home from the dealer. A year later he tried to trade it in against a brand new Ford Cortina and the dealer wouldn't even entertain him.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2018, 04:54:01 PM »
I seem to recall Honda looking to go big on EV's from 2022 onwards. I wonder if this will affect thinking about a Jazz replacement.
If you want a straight EV from honda then get in the queue for this https://www.evo.co.uk/honda/19991/honda-urban-ev-concept-to-reach-production-next-year.

I doubht if Honda will offer a Jazz EV in the next generation but expect the return of a hybrid. few years ago Honda were selling hybrid versions of 3 different models in UK but currently there are none here although they are available elsewhere. There could well be a lot of ongoing cogitation about which hybrid configuration to use in which vehicles. The iMMD http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-5441677/Honda-ditches-diesel-hybrid-new-CR-V-SUV.html looks interesting - will it be scaled down for the smaller vehicles? Personally, I think the simple IMA setup (as in the MK 2 Jazz hybrid) has a lot of merit if given a more powerful motor/generator and higher capacity battery. The other challenge is where to put the battery? Many of us don't want to lose underfloor storage for a spare wheel or the Magic Seats. Honda is also developing a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/coming-soon/clarity-fuel-cell/overview.html but this will also need scaling down to fit the Jazz.

I think we will need to watch what Honda does elsewhere before making an educated guess about what may appear here and when. UK + Europe sales numbers aren't big enough to make this region a priority but we need at least hybrid versions of Honda's vehicles if the brand is to remain relevant. It's possible that we will see a Mk 4 Jazz in 2021 but also possible that will have minimal powertrain options with more to follow a year or so later.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2018, 06:14:42 PM »
Perhaps this is the Jazz of the future (the one in the video, not the title screen!).

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2018, 06:32:11 PM »
I will not be buying an electric car until an adequate charging infrastructure is in place. Maybe a hybrid of some sort, the Toyota CHR looks like possibility, Toyota hybrid technology is well proven. As my Jazz is only a few months old it will be a good few years until I need a replacement.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2018, 06:59:42 PM »
So one below par car gives all foreign built cars a poor quality reputation.
What a bizarre response! All I posted was that I feel that the cars Honda built in Swindon were of a better quality than those it built in Japan. In what way does that lead you to think I consider all foreign built cars to have a bad reputation? The only reputation I alluded to was that of British built vehicles in the 70s/80s/90s and of those I'd always be very critical.

I consider Japanese marques to be what turned the UK motor industry around (quality-wise). Customers suddenly saw how good a car could be and native marques had no choice but to up their game. Japanese working practices were introduced through the factories they set up here and further helped us. In general I have a great respect for Japanese marques and apart from my first two vehicles that's all I've ever owned, Nissan and Hondas. However my experience of the Mk3 has led me to believe that in this particular case Swindon is a better place to have your Jazz built.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 07:05:43 PM by andruec »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2018, 08:06:32 PM »
I would give up on your choice of factory, it is not going to happen. Most people don't give a toss where there car is built as long as it is of reasonable build quality.

You still haven't answered my question, has your car ever failed to start? As in call the AA.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2018, 07:54:07 AM »
I would give up on your choice of factory, it is not going to happen. Most people don't give a toss where there car is built as long as it is of reasonable build quality.
Another spurious comment from you. I don't have anything to 'give up' because it's just an opinion and I have never said it would affect my buying choice. Also I have never suggested that it's anything other than a personal opinion so whether or not I'm alone in that view is irrelevant.
You still haven't answered my question, has your car ever failed to start? As in call the AA.
No. But if that's your definition of 'good quality' then it explains why you might consider the Mk3 so wonderful.

What my Mk3 has done many times is fail to start properly and yes on several occasions it failed to start or cut out on the first attempt. The last car I owned that ever did that was an Austin Mini Metro back in the 1980s. It is not acceptable in this day and age for a car to make its owner unsure of whether or not it will start. Modern engines should start immediately every time (at least in the UK's temperate climate) and to do otherwise suggests a fault.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2018, 08:30:59 AM »
It is not acceptable in this day and age for a car to make its owner unsure of whether or not it will start. Modern engines should start immediately every time (at least in the UK's temperate climate) and to do otherwise suggests a fault.
I have to agree with this comment, and everyone of the cars I have ever owned which has has fuel injection (as against carburettors), has started first time, first turn of the key, summer and winter.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2018, 08:58:09 AM »
From the amount of complaining about your poor start quality and a fault can't be found I would have thought you would have got rid of the car. You can't consider it much of a problem if you are prepared to live with it. My 1.3 Jazz ran perfectly, I didn't like the engines power delivery so I changed it for a Jazz with a better engine as soon as one became available.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 09:00:19 AM by Skyrider »

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2018, 02:02:35 PM »
It will be interesting to see what visual changes are made in a Mk 4 Jazz.  Personally, I find the Mk 2 the best-looking so far, a good marriage of form and function.  In comparison, I think the Mk 3 is more visually cluttered, but it's obviously a subjective judgement, and you don't see it when you're driving it!

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2018, 03:01:24 PM »
My Sport model is definitely visually cluttered, I could do without the boy racer bodykit. I am sure it would go just as fast without it!  :o

guest7893

• Topic Starter
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2018, 11:03:25 PM »
I personally think the Mk3 Jazz is the best shape... Especially the Sport!  8)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2018, 10:19:23 AM »
It will be interesting to see what visual changes are made in a Mk 4 Jazz.  Personally, I find the Mk 2 the best-looking so far, a good marriage of form and function.  In comparison, I think the Mk 3 is more visually cluttered, but it's obviously a subjective judgement, and you don't see it when you're driving it!

+1 

The MK1 and 2 looked like a Honda,  with very smooth innovative  styling,  the Mk3 looks like a clone of many other cars with its visually cluttered appearance, just like the newest civic which is nowhere near as smooth and distinctive as its earlier shape.

IMHO Honda and Mazda have always made the smoothest looking cars.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 11:19:07 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest7675

• Topic Starter
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2018, 11:41:01 AM »
Really, do explain. I have had no quality issues with my two Japanese built Jazzes. I stopped buying British built cars decades ago, the quality was appaling.
I agree sky my jazz fit and finish is top notch.

Tags: