Author Topic: Tariffs on Single Malt Scotch Whisky  (Read 1055 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Tariffs on Single Malt Scotch Whisky
« on: October 03, 2019, 03:37:24 PM »
The US have just announced tariffs on EU goods over the Boeing/Airbus wrangle. This includes a 25% tariff on Single Malt Scotch Whisky. As a loyal Scot I have decided to do my bit to make up the shortfall in sales. Sláinte mh򲮀

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Tariffs on Single Malt Scotch Whisky
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 05:08:57 PM »
Stocked up in Arran earlier this month. Distillery at Lochranza. Well worth a visit.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 05:19:04 PM »
Despite living in close proximity to so many distilleries I have never ever visited one. Whenever I am touring, I am the driver, so I don't stop at distilleries as I am unable to partake. Like going to a Cathouse, just to look! I keep promising myself a Shearings or David Urquhart tour so I could imbibe.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 06:38:42 PM »
To be fair, we've had a 25% tariff on their Bourbon since June last year.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 09:07:39 AM »
Despite hardly touching alcohol i have been to some of the distilleries in Scotland including Ben Nevis in Fort William and Bladnoch in Wigtown plus a couple on Speyside.  More to do with somewhere to get out of the rain on a normal Scottish wet day than wanting to taste or buy ( although we did get some for friends ) - but interesting how different the tastes are from different distilleries.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 09:32:08 AM »
I am an Islay man myself. Not literally, but in taste. Nothing like am Ardbeg to tickle the pallet. I also am very fond of Talisker (from Skye), but I won't turn my nose up at a Highland (or Lowland) malt, if it is offered.
I am actually teetotal at the moment. My wife is getting Chemo therapy, and a couple of weeks back had to get an urgent evening prescription for antibiotics. I had had a couple of beers so had to use taxis. It cost me £30. Lesson learned!

Tags: