Author Topic: Honda still can't get cabin ventilation right  (Read 30864 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Honda still can't get cabin ventilation right
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2016, 10:31:55 AM »
You are right, IMHO using the aircon all the time not only builds up a reserve of moisture in the system,  it also encourages bacteria and fungus / mould to breed (which thrive in the humidity) - these cause bad smell,  but even more worrying can cause asthma attacks and general bad health (the 'sick office syndrome' which makes office worker ill was blamed on pathogens breeding in the airconditioning pipework and filters combined with sealed windows which allowed no fresh air in).

I normally use the 'clear screen' feature in certain cases (even to cool the car down in summer),  but other wise will only run the aircon once a week to keep it in decent shape.   I do not like the way that when you select 'auto' the system forgets all your manual settings and you have to tweak them back in when you revert to manual,  also system will not keep a stable temperature when not in auto with aircon on, even when outside temperature is well below the temperature you select and you would think aircon would not be required as all you need is heat  :-X
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2016, 11:21:09 AM »
I'm not convinced that lack of aircon running is the problem. My aircon is always running (or ready to run if conditions require it). Climate control is part of why I bought the Jazz and as I've said before I always use automation if it's available. I set my car's heating to 19 degrees and expect it to maintain that.

But with the Mk3 I'm finding that if I leave the vent position to 'foot and screen' everything seems fine. It doesn't even seem to need the dedicated defrost setting on cold nights. I'm not sure why I didn't do that on the Mk2 but I think that perhaps it ran the fan at full speed on that setting and eventually pumped out cold air for no obvious reason. I haven't yet driven my Mk3 far enough in this mode to know if the cold air 'feature' will strike but should find out this weekend.

But hopefully we at least have a partial fix to the issue. I still maintain that it's not working correctly because it is designed to move the airflow around to where it's needed. But the workaround is good enough.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2016, 11:31:35 AM »
you would think aircon would not be required as all you need is heat  :-X

That depends on whether you want your warm air dehumidified. Hot and humid is not nice.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2016, 01:04:00 PM »
you would think aircon would not be required as all you need is heat  :-X

That depends on whether you want your warm air dehumidified. Hot and humid is not nice.

Except on very few occasions the ambient air in UK is normally dryer than inside a house or car (where higher humidity is caused by human activity, one of these activities is breathing).  The colder air in winter is pretty dry and warming it through the heater only is fine with me, but I still can't figure why the stupid system cannot keep a decent temperature in cold temperatures without aircon (cooling) I could always manage it with two rotary controls, one for fan speed and one with red and blue on it for temperature adjustment. It is just as though when you turn aircon off it also switches off the temperature sensors, that's the problem with auto systems designed by a nerd, they don't look at all scenarios or user preferences.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2016, 03:12:46 PM »
Except on very few occasions the ambient air in UK is normally dryer than inside a house or car (where higher humidity is caused by human activity, one of these activities is breathing).  The colder air in winter is pretty dry and warming it through the heater only is fine with me,

In recent weeks local weather has been cold and heavy mist, in other words very humid conditions which the aircon gets rid of by monitoring the humidity as well as the temperature.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2016, 04:53:45 PM »
Except on very few occasions the ambient air in UK is normally dryer than inside a house or car (where higher humidity is caused by human activity, one of these activities is breathing).  The colder air in winter is pretty dry and warming it through the heater only is fine with me,

In recent weeks local weather has been cold and heavy mist, in other words very humid conditions which the aircon gets rid of by monitoring the humidity as well as the temperature.

Vic.

I agree, when there is visible humidity or a load of wet people just climbed into your car aircon will help, but still puzzled why system loses temp control when aircon is off - it's not logical captain !

VicW

• Approved Member
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2016, 06:52:07 PM »
still puzzled why system loses temp control when aircon is off - it's not logical captain !

As I never turn the aircon off I have never noticed this phenomenon although I do run the system in manual as I don't like the auto's choice of fan speed or distribution. In manual the auto temperature control still works so I'll turn the aircon off and see what happens.
Would this mean that when the outside temp is below about 4C and the aircon shuts off, the auto temp control no longer works ?

Vic.

VicW

• Approved Member
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2016, 07:07:47 PM »
Played around today with temp control.
A reminder that I run my system in manual but the auto temp control still works in manual.
With the system warmed up I turned the aircon off and the temp initially went up slightly but settled back to selected temp. Turned temp selection up and temp rose.Turned temp selection down and temp dropped.
Turned aircon back on and initially the temp dropped slightly but returned to selected temp.
As far as I can tell the temp setting works with the aircon off.

Vic.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2016, 09:11:06 PM »
One thing I'm doing at the moment is leaving the Climate Control on all the time so that it is running as soon as you turn the key. Might be just my imagination but the misting problems seem much less pronounced. In summer I will turn off from time to time but, for winter running, always on seems to work best for me.

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2016, 09:22:26 AM »
Car seemed fine set to 'feet+screen' so at least that's one thing Honda have improved. I'll not say 'fixed' until/unless I can drive everywhere with my climate control on auto though.

Tags:

anything