Author Topic: Heating/cooling system won't change air output direction, any help/Ideas?  (Read 2409 times)

Chris_Music

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si
Hey Guys

So I've been having a problem with my 2006 Jazz Sport for a while now, where the Heating/Cooling system won't change the air direction, no matter what setting I choose on the centre console. So it's basically stuck on blasting my feet with cold air and a bit coming out of the front, but nothing from the windscreen vents at all.
No matter what setting I choose it won't make a difference. I have the climate control version.
Any one have any ideas if I need to change something, or if something could just be stuck?
I don't mind opening up the dash, I just don't want to be poking around aimlessly.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated :)

Thanks

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
If Climate Control is selected and you try to change something except the temperature Auto Climate Control will be deselected. I you deselect Auto Climate Control can you change things then ?

Vic.

Chris_Music

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
If Climate Control is selected and you try to change something except the temperature Auto Climate Control will be deselected. I you deselect Auto Climate Control can you change things then ?

Vic.

Hi Vic
I normally just have it on auto rather than full auto, but no I still can't change anything.

Something I have noticed though, which I think could be the problem.
There are two vents on top of the centre console, but only one of them has the part inside which allows you to point the air in a certain direction, the other one is empty inside, so maybe the part has popped out and dropped inside and it is causing a jam in the system meaning the ducts cannot open and close to redirect the air.
So probably on Thursday, when I have a bit of time, I will remove the radio and try and get to the inside of the vent and see if that fixes it :).

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Sounds like a plan. And certainly a possible diagnosis.

Chris_Music

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
UPDATE

I've taken out the Audio Unit and removed the glove box to get a look inside.
And I am pleased to say that I have found the culprit.

It would appear at some point, the previous owner had maybe used an air vent mounted Phone holder or Air freshener that broke the fins in one of the centre console vents and they fell inside the vent, stopping the vent from closing.
This intern, put stress on the Mode Controller Motor, and the linkage, which eventually broke the linkage, which is only Plastic:

So I'm going to pop down to my local Honda dealer and see how much the parts are going to cost.

But all the bits are quite hard to get to and I fear I may have to take the whole dash off to fix this, which is going to be a massive job. But I refuse to pay someone to fix it on a 12 year old car, its just not worth the money!

I will post an update when I've got the parts (depending on how much they cost!)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Good luck!

Vic.

Brian_I

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i-VTEC ES Plus 5dr
Depending on the type of plastic used for the linkage, perhaps some sort of solvent glue could be used to "weld" it back together?  Do you have a model train / model car shop near you? They may be able to advise on the type of glue to use?

Or perhaps a DIY store could advise a solvent glue as used to stick plastic plumbing together? 

Chris_Music

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Depending on the type of plastic used for the linkage, perhaps some sort of solvent glue could be used to "weld" it back together?  Do you have a model train / model car shop near you? They may be able to advise on the type of glue to use?

Or perhaps a DIY store could advise a solvent glue as used to stick plastic plumbing together?

I tried gluing it back together with Gorilla Super Glue, which seemed to hold it pretty firmly.
I took out my soldering iron and welded over the cracks to strengthen it that bit more.

I'm going to try and fit it tomorrow and see if it hols up, so fingers crossed!

Chris_Music

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Forgot to update this thread with the final result.

The gluing worked a treat, I installed the glued part, and it worked perfectly, which was great!
I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to remove the vent, so I just left it be without the fins, it doesn't really make a difference to be honest.

Brendan976

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 1 Gd 2004,dsi cvt 1.4
Hi, fixing broken plastic parts like that is easy and cheap. Drill a small hole either side of the broken piece. Strip some stranded electrical cable, thread the cable through the holes. Twist the wires  together with pliers and tighten. Trim the wires to a suitable length. I then cover with hot glue and wait for it to set. This method also works great in fridge freezers for broken plastics etc. Obviously you can use the glue of your choice, the wires consolidate and strengthen the joint.
Ben

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Heating/cooling system won't change air output direction, any help/Ideas?
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 08:17:45 PM »
Hi, fixing broken plastic parts like that is easy and cheap. Drill a small hole either side of the broken piece. Strip some stranded electrical cable, thread the cable through the holes. Twist the wires together with pliers and tighten. Trim the wires to a suitable length. I then cover with hot glue and wait for it to set. This method also works great in fridge freezers for broken plastics etc. Obviously you can use the glue of your choice, the wires consolidate and strengthen the joint.
I've used a similar procedure on several occasions over the years except (i) I use staples through the holes with the ends bent over and (ii) I smother it all with epoxy resin glue (usually the original slow setting type). Steel reinforced Araldite is probably stronger than the original material.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags: