Author Topic: The Beast from the East.  (Read 12141 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
The Beast from the East.
« on: February 27, 2018, 09:42:43 AM »
So how has The Beast from the East affected the rest of the EU forumites? So far, here in Fife, we have only had short sharp flurries of snow and tiny hailstones. The wind is gale force and bitingly cold, and living in Kirkcaldy we face right into the east wind. In fact the next thing east to us is the coast of Denmark.
Hope everyone else is safe and, if not warm, at least sheltered.

Geoffers

• Approved Member
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes!
  • My Honda: 2016 HR-V SE-Navi Diesel
Re: The Beast from the East.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 09:51:59 AM »
We've had a about one inch overnight. Temp is now about +1C!
Thirty years ago we would have not made any comment about this piddling amount of snow.
Beast from the East? Bollards!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 09:53:46 AM by Geoffers »
Geoff, York, UK.             Now driving an HR-V after 4 Jazzes!

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 10:15:49 AM »
As they commented on BBC Breakfast this morning, it's a London thing. When we get snow here you just get on with it. And as you say, compared with the snow we got back in the 50's and 60's, it is hardly worth mentioning. Like most things these days, it is media hype. When you do 24 hour news (instead of 10 minutes, twice a night) you need to find something to fill the time. OAP rant over.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 10:18:23 AM »
It's a bit nippy, but it is the middle of winter!

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 10:51:10 AM »
-4C overnight and then 2cms of snow.

Compared to -16C in winters of 2010-11 and 2011-12 it's risible.

It's all for the beenfit of people who don't live in anything but a cocoon : buses/tubes , ears stuffed with headphones..  snowflakes!   :-X :D

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 11:21:27 AM »
2 cm today. Warrington doesn't get much snow, even though it is "oop north" it's not that far up north and it's close to the sea. This is the heaviest fall since 2012.

Problem over next few days is that this lot is going to freeze. If you do have to go out this is where winter tyres come into their own. I'm lucky in that I have the option of staying in!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 11:41:03 AM »
I don't like the windchill. Brought up in Somerset with first hand experience of the '62 - '63 winter and its long lasting drifting snow has me wondering what today's fuss is about. If the snow stays frozen then it's not as hazardous as re-frozen slush. I remember cycling on compacted snow without much difficulty but once it had partly melted and then frozen again the bike was put away and I had to walk (for more than a month).

It seems to me that the threat of snow was enough for train operators to make mass cancellations, a situation made worse by the weather forecasters tending to round up the numbers so they can't then be blamed for not giving the warnings should the worst happen.

However, we might get some challenging conditions in southern England later in the week if the blizzards materialise.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 11:57:02 AM »
Funny how snowflake generation does not like snow ! I can remember winter of 1962 / 3 as well,  and our school never closed,  In fact I only remember our school closing a couple of times when heating boiler broke down (not that it ever worked very well anyway, it was powered by coke - like a lot of city bankers).

It was not so bad if schools closed in my day because mums generally used to stay at home,  now if a school closes it can be a major logistical nightmare when both parents work and last minute child car plans have to be made.

Boys used to have PE lessons outside no matter what the weather (the girls used to be kept inside),  I can remember playing football in shorts and plimsolls on frozen playground with a frozen leather caseball, and boy it didn't half hurt when it hit you legs - you had no chance of undoing your laces for at least 20 to 30 minutes after going inside because you generally had fingers that felt as though they were made of plastic until they thawed out.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 12:13:49 PM »
snowflake generation

-snowflakes!   :-X :D

Aaargh! I hate hearing the term 'snowflake' being used as an insult.

It's thrown about with such alacrity these days, doesn't anyone realise where it originated from?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 12:18:38 PM »
snowflake generation

-snowflakes!   :-X :D

Aaargh! I hate hearing the term 'snowflake' being used as an insult.

It's thrown about with such alacrity these days, doesn't anyone realise where it originated from?

In my dictionary it perfectly covers pushy, self-opinionated, over-educated people of a certain age range with a highly developed sense of entitlement who melt at the first sign of stress or pressure and are permanently being fatally offended by anything they do not agree with (in fact that is what most people seem to understand by it).

Words often get hijacked,  one in particular is 'gay' which used to mean happy or cheerful !
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 01:14:55 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 01:50:40 PM »
In my dictionary it perfectly covers pushy, self-opinionated, over-educated people of a certain age range with a highly developed sense of entitlement who melt at the first sign of stress or pressure and are permanently being fatally offended by anything they do not agree with (in fact that is what most people seem to understand by it).

That may be the newly accepted meaning today, in fact that has only just been added to the Oxford Dictionary this year. It is certainly not it's original meaning. Words are certainly hijacked for new uses and meanings, but there are also words and phrases that were once in common usage that we are no longer comfortable with. I'm just not keen on that one, or indeed many of the other 'Americanisms' that are creeping into common usage.

Anyway, snowing on and off here in North Notts, nothing lying on the ground.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 04:04:48 PM »
The Scottish Transport minister has said that the Amber warning may be upgraded to Red, for parts of Scotland, saying, "That is a warning for snow that we have never seen since the modern system has come into place in Scotland.".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-43200598

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 06:29:15 PM »
Snow has started with a vengeance here now. As long as I can get the missus to and from work tomorrow. All in town, bus routes, and access to hospital always kept well clear. Should be alright.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 08:37:08 PM »
At about 7-30 this morning we had no more covering than a heavy frost would give you,  was gone by  about 8-30 when temp rose to about 2 deg C.  Few light flurries during the day and started freezing again about 4-00.  See what the next few days bring.

It is a sign that South  east is getting some snow and weather that it is being reported on the news,  otherwise it would have hardly got  a passing mention.  Looks like they cancelled all the trains based on what was expected rather than what actually happened.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 09:27:25 PM »
Item on our local news - salt not really doing its job in some places as not enough cars out to spread it. This was followed by a "don't drive unless absolutely essential warning!"

Tags:

anything