Author Topic: Climate Control  (Read 5066 times)

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
Climate Control
« on: February 21, 2018, 05:09:38 PM »
I leave my CC set to 20 and have it continuously on the lowest fan speed. I find that continuous ventilation is needed to prevent window misting.  However on the lowest fan speed it never really warms the cabin but I keep it low as I don’t want to suck in the traffic fumes.  A friend who I often give a lift to keeps telling me to put it on fully auto and let the fan do its own thing, the pollen filter will clean the air. I thought the pollen filter only removed dust and pollen.

stesjazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 jazz 1.4ex azure blue
Re: Climate Control
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 06:37:55 PM »
yes the pollen filter only stops pollen and dust entering the cabin. you need a  cabin filter with activated charcoal built in if you want to stop fumes too....but im not sure if they do them for jazz's. i had one on my ford puma.

davegreen55

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 07:40:55 PM »
Corteco make a carbon activated filter Part No 8001184. Any decent motor factor who uses FPS as a supplier should be able to get one from them for you.

guest5079

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 05:37:09 PM »
It maybe 20 is a little high more especially with very low temperatures outside. I leave ours on 17 on two bar setting for the fan and IF it does start to mist up just push the 'screen' button in for a few minutes which usually clears the side windows. When the screen button is operated the fan runs at a much higher speed.
I use the recirculation button for a short while on first moving off. This allows the cabin to warm up a bit. Apart from that I leave it all to it's own devices.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 08:36:06 PM »
Having had her indoors complain about cold draughts in both Jazz and Civic I decided to do an experiment.  I have a digital thermometer with the sensor on the end of a cable and I dropped the sensor into the vent to measure actual air temp coming out of vent. Desired temp set to 20deg  outside temp was about 6degC and air temp gradually rose for first half to one mile, it got up to over 50degC  for a couple of miles and then started dropping, after about 8 miles it was approaching set temp 20deg but as interior of car got up above 18 or 19 the incoming air temp started to drop below 20deg and actually ended up nearer 16deg, and that is when my wife started to notice 'draughts' which were actually colder air from vents blowing into warmer cabin. I can understand what she complains about now, as the cabin approaches set temp the air from vents cools down, and she feels this as draughts of colder air. If you leave climate control in full auto the fan speed drops as set temp is approaching and the draughts are less obvious, but cabin can start to feel stuffy when fan almost off.   I thought air from vents would never fall below set temp, but if any sun around or car full of people cabin  temperature can rise above set temp and it switches to colder air flow. As far as I can see cabin temp sensor is behind a little grille in the dash to left of steering wheel column.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 09:42:57 AM »
Culzeans explanation is interesting. However I have not noticed the cold draught situation. On very rare occasions my Wife has commented on an occasional cold draught and when I have checked there is indeed cold air coming in when not expected. She suffers with Reynards disease. Her finger tips and toes are constantly cold and VERY susceptible to the cold. Still wearing her fur coat from  deepest Marks and Spencers. Gloves don't usually come off until the summer.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 03:10:26 PM »
I don't use the climate control in 'auto' because, in my opinion, it doesn't put the air where I want it and at a fan speed that does any good. The temperature is still controlled when the system is set to manual.
In 'auto' the fan speed shortly after start up goes down to one and the air is directed to feet only. The screen soon mists up on damp days.
In the winter I have the air directed to 'screen and feet' and the fan speed on three bars. The temperature is set at 23 but we do not sit in the car with our outdoor clothes on. When the 'cold' light goes out the fan speed goes up to four bars to rapidly warm the car up then back down to three bars. The windows never mist up.
In summer the air is directed to 'face and feet' and the temperature to whatever is comfortable.
The aircon is on all the time.

Vic.

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 04:15:56 PM »
I just leave on auto, and let it do its job,never had a problem.

Plasma.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 07:08:14 PM »
I also just leave it on auto with a temperature that is comfortable, usually 20 or 21 and let it do its job, also never had a problem.  It's called climate control because that is exactly what it does.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 09:01:58 PM »
I'm exactly the same as ColinS, just set it on Auto at 20-21c and forget it. The screen never mists up.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 05:59:56 AM »
I set mine to Auto but vary temperature.
Winter driving evening 24C. Winter driving back from yoga 18C.
Spring 21C. Back from yoga 18C.
Summer? What is that? Varies.
Screen mists up in winter from cold..10 second blast from screen button solves that.

No issues.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2018, 04:36:59 PM »
I should have persevered more with the aircon in the 'Auto' setting. I gave it a go in the recent warm weather and was happy with results so I will leave it in 'Auto' and we will see what it's like in the autumn/winter.

Vic.

Pine

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 09:40:54 AM »
I don't think the the cooled air from my air con is as cool as it should be so I am thinking of having it serviced. I have looked at a couple of websites and they refer to air con re-gas and air con servicing, is there a difference or are they different terms for the same thing?  And what cost should I expect? 

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 10:20:52 AM »
I don't think the the cooled air from my air con is as cool as it should be so I am thinking of having it serviced. I have looked at a couple of websites and they refer to air con re-gas and air con servicing, is there a difference or are they different terms for the same thing?  And what cost should I expect?

I have never had A/C serviced or regassed,  buy a refill kit  and put a bit more gas in, every system leaks a bit.  Normally a refill kit used for topping up lasts us about 5 years for two cars,  but you have to be careful not to overfill system as it can make it less efficient or even damage it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Car-Air-Con-Kit-Top-up-Aircon-Conditioning-Recharge-Refill-DIY-18oz-Leak-Sealer/1465179408?iid=182566153002&chn=ps&adgroupid=52130532935&rlsatarget=pla-411617460180&abcId=1133946&adtype=pla&merchantid=7261704&poi=&googleloc=1007151&device=c&campaignid=1057748120&crdt=0
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 11:53:44 AM »
The single best thing you can do to preserve the gas in your aircon is to use it regularly, even in winter. If you make sure you use it at least once a week, this circulates the PAG oil throughout the system, wetting the seals and o-rings and minimising coolant leakage.

The only problem with top up kits is that you have no idea how much oil is in there. Depending where the system is leaking, you could be losing predominantly gas, or you could be losing predominantly oil. You are adding more oil with a top up when the system doesn't need it, reducing cooling ability, or be left with too little, which could spell disaster for the compressor.

If you don't know what the situation is exactly, you would be better off with a full vacuum and regas, so that the oil can be recovered and weighed, and the correct amount of oil and gas replaced. KwikFit and similar garages often do offers at around £25-£30, with no charge at all if there's no improvement. I wouldn't normally recommend places like KwikFit for anything, but the automatic regas stations they use are virtually idiot proof.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 12:02:52 PM by sparky Paul »

Tags: