Author Topic: Auto idle stop on CVT, neutral and other issues.  (Read 15777 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Auto idle stop on CVT, neutral and other issues.
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2018, 10:29:58 PM »
Personally, I cannot see the attraction of a Hybrid, unless it is a PHEV. Unless you want one to save the planet!

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2018, 09:05:27 AM »
Personally, I cannot see the attraction of a Hybrid, unless it is a PHEV. Unless you want one to save the planet!
To be honest I just liked the dashboard on the Civic Hybrid I drove. I loved the battery charge/state indicator. It created the impression at least that it was working with me - using the battery charge to supplement the ICE on gentle inclines, then charging back up on the way down. I'm still not sure if my driving style would allow it to function at its best but it would be fun to find out.

We shall see :)

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2018, 09:18:09 AM »

Hi torque from the electric motor at low speed gave the Hybrid Jazz the most lively (least un-lively  :D) acceleration of the Jazz family.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2018, 10:56:47 AM »
I'll find out tomorrow when I pick up my CVT. From what you say Mike, presumably there is no way round, on the Honda system, the blinding of drivers behind with your brake lights if you use stop start?
In my experience of rush-hour driving most of them deserve to be punished anyway  :P

Really bad attitude alert  :o  :o
Nah, showing respect to rush-hour drivers just makes you look weak. Especially when you're driving a Jazz. Other drivers probably think you're a retiree who shouldn't be on the road at that time anyway  :P

I have found over many years of driving that when you show some sympathy for other roads users it is contagious, when you let someone into traffic from a side road or some other courteous act they often do the same to others as you follow them.  This horrible 'dog-eat-dog' 'every man for themselves' attitude is getting worse on our roads, is adding to commuters frustrations and it is also contagious.  A little kindness and consideration goes a long way... as I said earlier treat others as you would like to be treated.

I make an exception for BMW and Audi drivers through - but even that could be learned behaviour because of the way they treat other road users (mostly with utter disdain).  I knew a bloke who had always had Jags and he thought it would be nice to have a BMW,  he did not keep it long because he noticed a massive increase in what he called 'road rage' by other drivers, who would not let him into traffic etc...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2018, 12:05:50 PM »
Yesterday, going to have the tracking checked, stopped at T junction where my road joins another. Opposite BMW reversing out of driveway into throat of junction so I stopped, as a pound to a penny he wasn't going to, and waited. He just reversed out into the junction looked at me as most BMW drivers look at the Jazz and drove off. No thank you  nuffin. Nothing to do with stop start as such but blame Culzean for his comment re BMW. Well I stopped and he started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2018, 01:44:46 PM »
I never show any courtesy to BMW drivers. I have to admit it makes me as bad as they are, and I know they are not all as we see them. Still, I have been soured by experience!
Today there was a BMW pushing his out of a very tight side road on the right. As he needed both sides of the road clear to get out, he had to wait until I got past. There was a solitary vehicle coming from the other direction, so I slowed down slightly so he would have to wait on it too, but no, as soon as I passed he pulled straight out into the path of the approaching car. So it was really the other poor driver I inconvenienced.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2018, 02:41:57 PM »
As he needed both sides of the road clear to get out, he had to wait until I got past.

You were taking a big chance when dealing with a 'Bavarian Maniacs Wagon' - they say time, tide and BMW wait for no man. I have been very soured by watching antics of german staff car drivers, zooming from fast (sorry BMW lane) on motorways across all three lanes to get off at an exit is one of their tricks,  as is getting in wrong lane at island because it has shortest queue and then barging across to proper lane, I am still convinced many German car drivers badger their doctors to get disabled stickers as well, large german SUV seem so over-represented in disabled spots that it is either the german car seats that make people disabled or something fishy going on.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2018, 04:42:07 PM »
Got the new car home. Very pleased so far but, as with everything you buy these days, added complexity. Checked out the manual and the only way the auto idle stop system works on a Honda CVT is by keeping the footbrake pressed. If you want the auto idle stop to work there is no alternative. It is in the manual in black and white. There is not a mention of any duty of care to drivers queuing up behind you.

On the way to the dealers, I decided I would check out vehicles at lights. Best example, a CRV at a light in Stockton Heath just outside Warrington. Almost certainly an automatic because his lights were on until the traffic light changed. In all honesty I can't say I felt in the least bit uncomfortable with this but it was daylight. More annoying was a Nissan Micra later on at lights who kept putting her brake on and off - much more annoying.

I live in Warrington which has several swing bridges and these cause lengthy delays. Not only that you don't want to keep your foot on the brake for, say, 10 minutes in any event. Dealer suggests putting it in Park, engine off, and restart as normal so that is what I'll do.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2018, 04:49:31 PM »
You shouldn't get paranoid about this.  I know I said it dazzles me at times, but not all cars do and it is generally only at  night that I have a problem.

At the end of the day, you drive the car within it's own parameters and if that means the brake lights are on then so be it.

Life is too short to worry about things like this. Just enjoy your new car.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2018, 10:39:16 PM »
I live in Warrington which has several swing bridges and these cause lengthy delays. Not only that you don't want to keep your foot on the brake for, say, 10 minutes in any event. Dealer suggests putting it in Park, engine off, and restart as normal so that is what I'll do.
The engine would restart well before 10 mins to protect the battery, so it's much better all round to switch off at level crossings, swing bridges etc.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2018, 08:49:12 AM »
The engine would restart well before 10 mins to protect the battery, so it's much better all round to switch off at level crossings, swing bridges etc.
Although I was quite surprised last year at just how much 'stoppage' it could take before giving up. As noted I usually just avoid stopping anyway but last year a couple of times I had to drive to Cambridge for business and one of the meetings was scheduled for 9am  :o

That meant I experienced the horror of true congestion on the approach to the Black Cat roundabout. Amazingly the car managed to continue providing IS functionality all the way to the roundabout itself. I suppose that having already been driven for an hour meant the battery was well charged but still - an impressive feat I felt.

Thankfully for the second meeting we managed to persuade them to schedule it for 10am which was less hassle.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2018, 07:16:15 AM »
Yesterday I drove over to the south side of Edinburgh, and then in and back out of the city centre, and was amazed and gratified to see how few of the Edinburgh drivers sat with their brakes on at traffic lights. About 80% put their handbrakes on. Mind you, being canny Scots they probably didn't want to wear the bulbs out.

guest7504

« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2018, 11:02:07 AM »
My old Triumph 2000 used to dim the brake lights when the side lights were on.  I wonder why that never caught on?
My Austin 1800 was exactly the same. It must have been a BL thing.
I think you're right, it was called rust, the earth returns were so poor that when you turned anything on the lights dimmed  ;D

Tags: