Author Topic: Gearbox repair  (Read 15282 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Gearbox repair
« on: January 22, 2018, 06:50:34 AM »
Today my car goes into Top Gear, in Rutherglen, to have the gearbox input shaft bearing replaced. I have an hour and a half drive through there, and the best part of three hours on buses to get home. Bad enough, but yesterday afternoon I pulled a muscle in my lower back (a recurring injury) and this morning I can hardly depress the clutch pedal. Add to that the fact I am doped up with Tramadol and Paracetamol and it looks like being a fun day out!
I'll keep you all informed as to how it goes and costs and results.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Gearbox repair
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 09:32:38 AM »
Good luck with it Jocko, hopefully it'll be like a new car when it comes back!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 10:46:22 AM »
Yes - good luck and get well soon (both you and the car :))

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 02:03:46 PM »
Took car in for repair with only minor hindrances. The drive through took two hours, due to early morning traffic and getting lost. I say lost, my sat nav is out of date, and the new M8 and M74 links are in place. I had looked up the key points on Google Maps, but my sat nav sent me someplace else entirely!
Chap at Top Gear was most helpful. He will phone me tomorrow, when car is ready, and if it is too late for me to trail through, I can pick it up on Wednesday.
I was walking up from Top Gear to Glasgow Road and asked a local where I'd get a bus into the city centre. Typical of Glasgow warmth he pointed out where I'd get a bus, but then took me to a better stop (different route) where the buses were at a greater frequency. I got a bus within two minutes, and after reaching the bus station I got the express country bus five minutes later. A further two hours and I was back in Kirkcaldy. And all at no expense (pensioner's bus pass).
I even got a bus from Kirkcaldy bus station to my front door. I normally just walk, but the bus was standing at the stance and with my sore back I took the chance of the run home, even though it is just 3 stops!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 02:40:40 PM »
A further two hours and I was back in Kirkcaldy. And all at no expense (pensioner's bus pass).

You see, there are some advantages to becoming old and decrepid.  :P

Just a waiting game now then. Glad to hear the first part of your escapade went relatively smoothly, at least.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 04:31:09 PM »
Hi Jocko

Re, the recurring injury, can I just point out, there is no clutch on a CVT, 😀😀😀.

I've had a bus pass for the past 15 years or so and have to confess I've never used it,
Hope it all goes well for you.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 05:22:39 PM »
On the CVT thing, I think I may be moving in that direction. I have frozen shoulder on my left side and the whole gear changing thing is getting, if not sore, then uncomfortable at times. The combination of depressing the clutch and moving the gear lever seems to put extra strain on the ageing body.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 06:52:34 PM »
Re, the recurring injury, can I just point out, there is no clutch on a CVT, 😀😀😀.
After 25 years of owning automatics I swore I'd never buy a manual. Then I bought the Jazz! I'd have another automatic at the drop of a hat. But not a CVT. Did not enjoy the experience.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 08:52:05 PM »
Good luck with your back, Jocko! I know what you feel, been through the same too often for many years. Tip: Magnesium bisglycinate! Since then never ever any muscle problems again. ;)

As for the Jazz, i hope everything becomes well and within reasonable costs! :)

guest5319

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 10:39:23 PM »
After 25 years of owning automatics I swore I'd never buy a manual. Then I bought the Jazz! I'd have another automatic at the drop of a hat. But not a CVT. Did not enjoy the experience.
Why did you not like the CVT ?, I too have been driving automatics for many years and I find the Honda Jazz mk2 CVT to be really good. It's very smooth in operation but I accept a bit noisy under maximum acceleration, although I don't find that to be a problem.

guest7328

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 10:42:58 PM »
Not all CVTs are created equal.

I've driven an Audi CVT back in the day and it was sublime.

My wife's Mitsubishi CVT is crude and noisy.

My Jazz CVT is inoffensive.

I prefer MT but I find my Senna gene is suppressed when I'm driving an auto... which is good for the license.

Good luck with your back, Jocko! I know what you feel, been through the same too often for many years. Tip: Magnesium bisglycinate! Since then never ever any muscle problems again. ;)

As for the Jazz, i hope everything becomes well and within reasonable costs! :)

guest5079

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 09:28:39 AM »
I too wish Jocko well with his gearbox repair. Hopefully will restore his Jazz to pristine, certainly Jocko's pics of the car show it's in good nick.
Now I don't want to be a party pooper but Jocko mentions Tramadol. This drug is on the Governments list. I have to take Codeine another of  the morphine derivatives.  I expect as his Dr prescribed it He/She would have warned him about driving. I have been taking codeine for  a very long time ( which is not recommended) and hopefully I am not addicted but A) I was never warned and B) all I get is there is nothing to take it's place. However, a tip given and it might have been on here is to carry the label off the box with name and address and the dosage. It at least stops plod trying it on if they stop you and ask if you are taking or have taken drugs. We hope.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 09:43:33 AM »
Why did you not like the CVT ?
I like automatics, because apart from the convenience they also tend to give a nice relaxed drive. The CVT was just too "busy" and detracts from that experience.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 12:05:00 PM »
That's my issue with the CVT on the Jazz - very noisy under acceleration. The Yaris is supposed to be very noisy as well. Having said that, the majority of my motoring these days is pootling around town and, at that, they seem ideal.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 02:25:57 PM »
That's my issue with the CVT on the Jazz - very noisy under acceleration.
It's not the gearbox that is creating the noise but the engine revs because of the way a CVT operates.
When you open the throttle on a CVT the engine revs rise and remain high as the road speed increases and catches up with the revs.
On a 'normal' stepped auto box the engine revs rise and fall with every gear change as the auto box goes through its gears. Consequently the engine noise is not so obvious.

Vic.

Tags:

anything