Author Topic: 08 CVT-7 Jazz Mk1 - Good buy?  (Read 9716 times)

guest7355

08 CVT-7 Jazz Mk1 - Good buy?
« on: January 16, 2018, 08:30:41 AM »
Hi all, new to the forums, so if this post is in the wrong place please move or let me know.

My wife wants a small automatic for doing daily runaround type stuff. Probably less than 8k miles a year. All the research I have done points squarely at the Jazz as one of the best in this category. I was looking at this one on auto trader:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201801022380274?transmission=Automatic&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&price-to=6000&advertising-location=at_cars&make=HONDA&sort=sponsored&radius=50&model=JAZZ&postcode=tq47da&page=1

But my wife got scared by an article by Honest John which said Jazzes (well Japanese cars in general) have a "scrap by date" of 7 years. This article was from back in 2010 though so he would have been talking about ones from 2003ish.

So wondering what I might expect in terms of problems, niggles, risks etc. I just got rid of a 2001 auto golf which cost me sickening amounts of money in the last 4 yrs (gearbox failure 4 months after purchase, seized brake disc, electrical issues, numerous other small problems) and I'd rather not get burned like that again. I understand there are no guarantees just want to skew the odds in my favour a bit by making good choices.

Thanks in advance.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: 08 CVT-7 Jazz Mk1 - Good buy?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 08:47:22 AM »
A couple of remarks by Which? "https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/new-and-used-cars/honda-jazz-20022008 is:
"How reliable is it?

This car is over eight years old. We collect reliability data for cars between 0-3 years and 3-8 years – so whether you’re buying new or used, you can make an informed decision. We don’t include data after eight years, as reliability by this time will be largely determined by how well the car has been maintained by previous owners.

Should I buy it?

Buying an older used car can sometimes be a lottery, but the Jazz is as close to a sure bet as you're likely to get. Reliability and durability are definitely on its side."

Jazz owners (who tend to be older folk) tend to be more diligent about getting their vehicles serviced. However, one potential known problem with the auto Jazz is CVT judder. This is fixable by a well-documented procedure including two changes of the CVT fluid. Honda have now reduced the recommended interval between fluid changes.

Perhaps the best evidence for alleviating your wife's concerns is to look around and listen to the other vehicles on the road. It's quite common to see 10 to 15 year old Japanese vehicles and few look or sound like old bangers.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 09:11:24 AM »
I second everything John says above, there are still plenty of older Jazzes still about, giving good reliable service. They are as good a bet as you will find at the cheaper end of the market, and in terms of reliability, they are streets ahead of most European small cars. Honda's reputation for longevity and reliability is well earned.

Of course, you will find a few common issues as with most cars, but nothing that serious. From what I've read on here, the CVT is certainly no worse than any other automatic, but needs correct maintenance to keep it in good order. So long as the car drives well and the service history is all correct, I wouldn't be too worried.

There are a few CVT owners on here, they might be able to offer you a bit more advice.

As for your old Golf, it sounds like you were unlucky with some of the problems you had, but VWs of that era are well known for the poor wiring quality and electrical problems, and the Jatco automatic gearboxes were a disaster - often failing at 60-70k miles.

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 09:16:16 AM »
I have exactly the same model, year and colour as the one in the AutoTrader ad. Had it nearly 2 years now and can't fault it, 64K when I bought it but it was a lot cheaper than the one in the ad, over £1K cheaper; perhaps the second hand prices have gone up, and that one is very low mileage?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:18:18 AM by MikeG1944 »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 09:22:47 AM »
I have exactly the same model, year and colour as the one in the AutoTrader ad. Had it nearly 2 years now and can't fault it, 64K when I bought it but it was a lot cheaper than the one in the ad, over £1K cheaper; perhaps the second hand prices have gone up, and that one is very low mileage?

Just clicked through onto the ad, it looks nice but it is a bit dear!  :-X

Mines 08 registered, it's done a lot of miles, but I paid 625 quid!

guest7355

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 09:29:36 AM »
Thanks for the quick replies everyone. Some really useful info coming in.

I was going to try and talk them down on price but now you've said that I will be a lot harder. I've heard Jazz holds it's value really well and also that automatics are 10% or so more expensive than manual which is why I didn't question it too much. This one is also comparable I think - sport model with a couple more bells and whistles but nearly twice the miles:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201712162101211?advertising-location=at_cars&transmission=Automatic&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&make=HONDA&radius=50&postcode=tq47da&model=JAZZ&price-to=6000&sort=sponsored&page=1

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 09:41:18 AM »
My Jazz is a 2006 with over 100,000 miles on the clock. Great reliable little car. Mine has a gearbox issue, but that is only a possible problem on earlier manual transmission cars. I average over 50 mpg.

Jem

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz sport 1.4 In blue! :D
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 09:52:14 AM »
I have had to have a rear caliper replaced on my 56 plate jazz. Having a manual I have also had the gearbox bearing done.

The rear discs are not really used that much and as far as I am aware it would be better if they were drums rather than discs because the car is not really heavy enough for all round discs.

I think it cost about £130 to £150 for a new caliper and pads to be fitted.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 09:58:08 AM »
The first example you posted is probably as good an example as you are going to find, but it is a lot of money. When I look at £4500, I'm thinking you could be well into mark 2 Jazzes at that price.

You are going to pay more from a dealer, there's no way around that, but I would expect there to be quite a bit of negotiating leeway on that price, especially at this time of year. If you can go without a part exchange, that will help you too. One problem with dealers is that they generally want to sell you finance, as it is quite lucrative for them. If you are a cash buyer, it severely limits the profit they can make from you.

I wouldn't get too hung up about the low miles, particularly as you are intending to do less than average mileage anyway. Hondas will stand the mileage, and you would never guess the mileage on a high-miler - the interior on ours is testament to that. Personally, I would always go for newer car with average miles, rather than an older, low mileage car at the same money. They all deteriorate with age.

Check out similar cars on Gumtree or auction sites, to give you an idea of the spread of private and dealer prices.

guest7355

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 10:03:29 AM »
I'm trying to avoid the iShift models as I have only heard grumbles about them - late 2008 to 2010 I believe so that leaves me at 2011 if I don't go Mk1. The price on autotrader jumps up quite a bit for 2011s.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 10:05:52 AM »

My wife wants a small automatic for doing daily runaround type stuff. Probably less than 8k miles a year. All the research I have done points squarely at the Jazz as one of the best in this category. I was looking at this one on auto trader:

But my wife got scared by an article by Honest John which said Jazzes (well Japanese cars in general) have a "scrap by date" of 7 years. This article was from back in 2010 though so he would have been talking about ones from 2003ish.

That article about Japanese cars must have been written by a German.  I would much rather buy an older Jap car than a 'European' one of the same age.   My niece just got rid of a 2004 Toyota Corolla and bought a 2013 Skoda Fabia (on her dads advice LOL, who has the same model, don't know why he had more than a few problems with his previous Fabia, and his previous Golf the gearbox fell apart),  she has had problems with Fabia already that meant it was in the repair shop for a week and she wishes she had never changed.  Added to that it does not drive as well as the Toyota, she is thinking of getting rid of Skoda already and she loves my wifes Jazz but after having a drive of my Civic she is now spoiled  :-X   She will be going back to Jap cars soon, but whether Toyota or Honda who knows.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 10:22:45 AM »
The second Jazz doesn't currently have an MOT (dealer will put that right), but if you look at its MOT history https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history it has fared well over the years, come MOT time.
The fact the MOT expired in October tells me it has been lying in his (or someone else's) yard for some time. Dealers swap cars round, that aren't selling, so you don't see the same car too long on any one lot!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 10:54:16 AM »
I'm trying to avoid the iShift models as I have only heard grumbles about them - late 2008 to 2010 I believe so that leaves me at 2011 if I don't go Mk1. The price on autotrader jumps up quite a bit for 2011s.

I see what you mean, having had a quick look at prices. The absence of 2008-11 CVTs is a bit of a problem.

To be fair, looking at the prices being asked, I don't think the first one you posted is way out for a retail price with that mileage and FSH. If you were interested, I would go and have a look, you should be able to get that price down. Start on the low side, you soon get a feel for what the dealer will take, don't be afraid to walk away.

For comparison at the cheaper end, there's a red 2008 mark 1 on Gumtree with 56k miles for £2250, maybe haggle down to near £2k?

By the way, that silver one is identical to mine, apart from the CVT gearbox.  ;)

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 10:55:06 AM »
These days the cash buyer[ no Pex] is in a strong position, I suggest you just hunt down a Jazz that your wife enjoys driving. After checking its service & MOT history.
Buying from a dealer you are porotected by the new Consumer laws for used cars , a private deal you might as well go to your local BCA aution to check out the trade stock -  that will gove you agood idea about values.
 If you find one that appeals & is tidy eg all the tyres same make and in good nick no major interorir rips or tears and has some paperwork and at least 6 months MOT then bargain hard and enjoy the new Jazz drive.
The sport spec has add ons and unlikely to bring a better drive
The key aspect with any used cars over 5years is the condition and take a 30 min test drive over familiar route/speeds etc. Happy hunting.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 11:11:00 AM »
...then bargain hard

I agree, especially this time of year when sales are slow.

Tags: