Author Topic: UK new car sales  (Read 8881 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: UK new car sales
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2018, 08:02:22 PM »
I was talking about cars, not coal, but we burnt coal for 200+ years.

200 years ago UK population was 10 million. Now it is approaching 70 million. We burn coal.

In 1800 China's population was 300 million . Now it is approaching 1,400 million. They burn coal too.

You do the maths.

Did the math  :o

UK uses about 33million tons per year (9 locally mined and 24 imported),  China uses 3,5Billion tonnes per year. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2018, 09:23:43 PM »
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/12/02/the-truth-about-china-2400-new-coal-plants-will-thwart-any-paris-cop21-pledges/

All that China will commit to, says the Adams report, is to continue to improve the energy efficiency of its economy as it grows – a goal it has long pursued, independent of global warming concerns. In doing so, China aims to increase its GDP along with its fossil fuel use, and by 2030 or so will depend on fossil fuels for 80% of its energy use, down from today’s 90%. When it reaches 80% 15 years hence, its energy makeup will largely resemble America’s today.

I'm not entirely sure WUWT is an entirely reliable site to quote, it's one of the climate change denying website circle that all quote each other to prove their points.

I thought that coal use in China had been declining for the last three years? Much of the planned increase in coal fired generation, often quoted on these sites, has long been shelved.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/18/world/asia/china-coal-power-plants-pollution.html?_r=0

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2018, 09:19:42 AM »
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/12/02/the-truth-about-china-2400-new-coal-plants-will-thwart-any-paris-cop21-pledges/

All that China will commit to, says the Adams report, is to continue to improve the energy efficiency of its economy as it grows – a goal it has long pursued, independent of global warming concerns. In doing so, China aims to increase its GDP along with its fossil fuel use, and by 2030 or so will depend on fossil fuels for 80% of its energy use, down from today’s 90%. When it reaches 80% 15 years hence, its energy makeup will largely resemble America’s today.

I'm not entirely sure WUWT is an entirely reliable site to quote, it's one of the climate change denying website circle that all quote each other to prove their points.

I thought that coal use in China had been declining for the last three years? Much of the planned increase in coal fired generation, often quoted on these sites, has long been shelved.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/18/world/asia/china-coal-power-plants-pollution.html?_r=0

So China overestimated the amount of electricity it needed and because of downturn in economy has cancelled a massive 8% of its planned coal fired stations,  but still have many times the coal fired capacity of USA.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/04/world/asia/china-burns-much-more-coal-than-reported-complicating-climate-talks.html
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 09:35:23 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2018, 10:57:15 AM »
So China overestimated the amount of electricity it needed and because of downturn in economy has cancelled a massive 8% of its planned coal fired stations,  but still have many times the coal fired capacity of USA.

To be fair, there's a few more people in China. China are not the world's biggest coal burners by capita.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 11:27:16 PM by sparky Paul »

guest4871

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2018, 03:26:54 PM »
We are drifting a little off the point here.

CO2 emissions targets on new cars (or even switching away from petrol engines in new cars) will have no actual effect on the state of the planet. Governments nudging consumers to nasty diesel or electric engines is/ was foolhardy - as is governments bullying car manufacturers to achieve false NOx/ CO2 emissions targets.

Increases in world population have infinitely more consequence.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2018, 11:29:46 PM »
Increases in world population have infinitely more consequence.

Indeed, and those people wanting a western standard of living, with cars and heating, rather than pushbikes and a few extra blankets.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2018, 06:14:34 AM »
Heard it reported, this morning, that every year mankind produces more weight in plastic than the weight of all mankind. It is not just coal that produces CO2.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2018, 10:21:16 AM »
I think I'm right in thinking that cars are responsible, in a developed country, for about 10 to 12% of CO2 so by far from being the biggest culprit (other transport brings that figure up to 20% or more). The beef and dairy industries probably dwarf that (don't have the figures though).

The Aussie Petrol Head John Cadogan is interesting on this. He fully accepts man made climate change and that it will eventually lead to ecological collapse. He think climate change deniers are morons who simply cannot accept science. He is, however, a huge critic of EVs, especially in Australia where they will, effectively, burn coal. The general point is well made though - cars are not the biggest culprits.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2018, 11:30:23 AM »
When you think about it though, Australia is ideal for solar. With storage, battery or otherwise, they could easily generate enough for their needs. Australia provides 15% of their energy from renewables but less than 3% is currently from solar. The outback is ideal for large soar arrays which would be relatively unobtrusive, except to satellites! 12.5 Sq miles of PV will supply 2GW of energy. The outback is thousands of Sq miles.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2018, 01:21:11 PM »
Cadogan made that point. Much of the outback is just scrubland and desert. They could generate and export electricity.

Tags: