Author Topic: Tyres tips please  (Read 3045 times)

Sharon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004. Mk1
Tyres tips please
« on: December 11, 2017, 07:06:16 PM »
Hi all, checking my tyres they look a bit threadbare, well at least 2 of them do. I passed the mot recently so they must be just about ok, however, I've got 2-3 hundred quid to spare, and this weather has made me think about changing all 4 of them for new ones. Would really appreciate some recommendations on what to get? Not looking for budget, tyres but also not top end tyres either. Just mid range, and if poss, best place to have them done?  I'm currently in Stockport. Any help appreciated,. My tyres are 175-65. R14 82T

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Re: Tyres tips please
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 07:23:42 PM »
I do a high mileage, and found Michelin Energy Savers are the best value for grip and duration. I get mine from www.blackcircles.com once you have bought the tyres, you can then choose the tyre fitters that can fit the locally. I pay £70 a tyre, you will find cheaper but will they last as long or grip as well?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 07:48:15 PM »
Hi all, checking my tyres they look a bit threadbare, well at least 2 of them do. I passed the mot recently so they must be just about ok, however, I've got 2-3 hundred quid to spare, and this weather has made me think about changing all 4 of them for new ones. Would really appreciate some recommendations on what to get? Not looking for budget, tyres but also not top end tyres either. Just mid range, and if poss, best place to have them done?  I'm currently in Stockport. Any help appreciated,. My tyres are 175-65. R14 82T

Try ATSEuromaster.  I have always found then very good - 3 pages of tyres for your Jazz,  After years of doing high mileage and using Michelin ES (which wear well) after I retired I got some Avon tyres for my Civic,  they grip well,  are very quiet but I cannot comment how well they wear,  but they are made by a British company (Avon are based in Somerset hence the 'Avon' - maybe for river Avon)

https://www.atseuromaster.co.uk/consumer/search-tyres?locator=&latitude=&longitude=&eventDataLayer=true&tyreFacet=with:175.0,profile:%2065,rim:%2014,load:%2082,speed:%20T&searchOption=seasons:%20all%20brand:%20all%20extraLoad:%200%20runFlat:%200&searchParamValues=175.0;65;14;82;T;all;all;0;0&moreOptions=&facet=adf_f10001%3A%22175.0%22&facet=adi_f10001%3A%2265%22&facet=adi_f10002%3A%2214%22&facet=adi_f10003%3A%2282%22&facet=ads_f10003_ntk_cs%3A%22T%22#facet:100034955534648,100045453,100054952,100065650,1000784

https://centre.atseuromaster.co.uk/search?query=stockport
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Sharon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 09:01:21 PM »
Thanks guys, looking at Michelin ES+ tyres. kwik fit doing them for 60 quid each at moment on offer. Wonder if any different from ES standard?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 10:14:27 AM »
I did find that the ES and ES+ although having good wear,  did lack a bit of grip - in fact local  junctions where the front wheels used to spin a bit on pulling away (due to road surface) with Michelin (just pulling away normally) I now have a job to make Avons slip even when trying,  I have also noticed that Avons don't 'squirm' around when you go round bends a bit fast (as if I ever do) like ES, steering and direction feels way better - the only thing I cannot comment on is the rate of wear as I have only had Avons 6 months or so.  I used to get ES and ES+ when I was covering in excess of 25,000 miles a year - now I do about 5,000 so wear not so important for me - and I won't knowingly buy anything French any more.

Avons easily as quiet as ES+,  sidewall is a little bit stiffer which probably accounts for the better handling I have noticed.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Sharon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 11:37:54 AM »
oh no! I've just ordered and paid for the Michelin ES+. Hope I've not made the wrong decision.  :-[

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 12:03:35 PM »
oh no! I've just ordered and paid for the Michelin ES+. Hope I've not made the wrong decision.  :-[

Nothing wrong with Michelin except 1) they are French and 2) the price.

They served me well for many years when I was doing a lot of miles and was more interested in good wear and quietness than out and out handling,  but now I have tried Avon (and saved £25 a tyre on Civic over Michelin ES+) I like the sharper feel and confidence they inspire,  Avon have been around for many years and certainly made some of the best motorbike tyres when I was first riding in 1960/70's - they were recently taken over by Cooper tyres from USA which bought new technology and investment to company.

I am not so interested in wear these days as I used to be.. (At my age I often wonder if it is worth buying green bananas)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 03:11:22 PM by culzean »

Sharon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 06:43:22 PM »
Well green banannas seem to stay green forever in my house! :-) Anwyay, could you let me know what Avon model tyres you have please?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 07:31:32 PM »
Well green banannas seem to stay green forever in my house! :-) Anwyay, could you let me know what Avon model tyres you have please?

Avon ZT5, they are on the ATSEuromaster link I posted earlier. About £46 fitted (the larger tyres for my Civic fall into ZV7 (17") size range but same tread)

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/car/zt5

reviews on blackcircles website

https://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/brands/avon/zt5
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 07:48:08 PM by culzean »

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 07:58:08 PM »
All seasons, Nexen N'Priz or N'BLUE 4 Seasons. Recommended by recent Autoexpress report. Excellent value and using them ATM during #snowinLondon!

Sharon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 11:08:20 PM »
ok, grip on road is the most important thing to me so I've emailed Black circles in the hope I can change the tyres before fitting. The avons sound fine for me. Thanks.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 11:41:53 PM »
Avon are a very good mid-range tyre. Mine had 4 nearly new Avons on when I bought it, sadly the front pair had been ruined by misaligned tracking and I replaced them, but that's another story. The ones on the rear axle have never felt anything less than totally secure, even in the wettest conditions.

The Michelins are fine if you don't drive like a maniac, but they are primarily a low rolling resistance design which prioritises fuel economy.

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 06:41:43 AM »
All seasons, Nexen N'Priz or N'BLUE 4 Seasons. Recommended by recent Autoexpress report. Excellent value and using them ATM during #snowinLondon!

Got R16 wheels on mine, so I'll probably sway the tyres that are on it now for the Vredestein Quatrac 5

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vredestein/Quatrac-5.htm

Seems to get the best of the reviews for a tyre that comes in my wheels size.

Tags:

anything