Author Topic: Weather reports  (Read 1777 times)

guest5079

Weather reports
« on: December 11, 2017, 09:23:09 AM »
We are extremely lucky to have escaped the snow and ice suffered by some in the UK. Faced with my fortnightly trip down the A30, I googled weather in Cornwall for an up to date weather report on the  A30. Last report 10 am 10th December!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Given that we the motorist is frequently criticised for their behaviour in adverse conditions, when we try and find the latest weather it would be nice if the persons responsible got out of bed and kept it up to date.
I also like the comment that roads yesterday were not being kept clear by motorists as they were all staying at home and not spreading the salt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Re: Weather reports
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 12:43:11 PM »
I think the problem is, a majority of motorists nowadays have no experience of driving in snow, since the frequency of snowfalls, certainly in the midlands/south of the country, is a lot less than years ago.
The situation is not helped by the weather reports put out by the BBC which generally seems to overstate the problem.
Also, Elf & Safety has a lot to answer for, with closing the schools etc, for a couple of inches of snow., bet the teachers still get paid.
I'm old enough to remember the bad winter of 1947 when despite a foot or more of snow, we still walked to school.
Similarly we still went to work in the bad winter of 1962/3.
Oh yes and I've just cleared the drive this morning, I seem to be the only one in the street!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
End of rant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 02:21:54 PM »
Local school  100 meters away is closed today.
ALL roads are clear.
The Met Office got its forecasts and probabilities seriously wrong:
Forecast for yesterday 7mm of snow at 6am. 90% probability. And more rest of day 90% again. And heavy snow this am 90%

Actual results: none, very little and none.

So three events which were virtual certainties did not happen...

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 02:45:43 PM »
Jocko's First Rule:

The magnitude of the disaster is inversely proportional to the contingency plans put in place.

This has been found true a hundred times during my adult lifetime.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 08:41:47 PM »
Faced with my fortnightly trip down the A30, I googled weather in Cornwall for an up to date weather report on the  A30. Last report 10 am 10th December!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
The official Highways Agency website might be handy:  http://www.trafficengland.com/traffic-report
Alternatively this one looks better: http://www.traffic-update.co.uk/a-roads/a30.asp
and there is always Google Maps directions which gives fairly good journey times based on feedback from smartphone users in real time.

BBC weather is not bad: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2644811  (going to be pretty windy in Launceston Weds evening.)
--
TG

Tags:

anything