Author Topic: Honda Approved Used GuarranteeH  (Read 2201 times)

guest7285

Honda Approved Used GuarranteeH
« on: December 09, 2017, 01:17:50 AM »
Hi all

I bought a Jazz from a franchised dealer about a year ago. It was a low mileage 2010 model. Forecourt price was £6000 (confirmed by Parkers).

In August I had planned to do a longer trip so dropped it off for a minor service. I was told that it needed new brake pads after only 3000 miles and that one of the discs had a lip so that should be replaced also.

To be perfectly frank, I had bought from a franchised dealer to avoid this sort of nonsense. Was I naive to believe that Honda and Brayley would treat me better than a back street dealer?

I think that the dealer should have replaced the discs and brake pads before the sale.

Do people have any views on this?

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
Re: Honda Approved Used GuarranteeH
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 01:45:49 AM »
To be fair, from my experience with Honda dealers they are very good in preparation of your car. They are often generous in fixing small dents etc and are usually very good on delivery.

However, I had problems with my local Honda dealer. They said my rear shocks were leaking. The reason I used them was the car was within the warranty. But as I know how they work, I bulls..t and said I am changing my car for the new Jazz soon, so please leave it. I took it to my local independent garage and they said nothing is leaking!

The service department, is just like sales, make bonuses when they hit a target. So your car may not necessary need changing but they would like your business! I also encounter a similar incident when my brake pads were down to 20% and they wanted me to change it. My response was, would you throw away 20% left in a bottle of red wine?  If not, why should I change the pads? My feedback to the manager at the time was to say, a customer would be happier to come back in three months to have them re-checked and changed if the dealer can remind them then. I think honestly is the way forward.

I am glad my local dealer Crown Hendon has changed its staff as my recent visit was a 5*! Very honest staff there now. A guy called Mitu is a breath of fresh air.

It's hard to say whether your dealer is honest or not, but perhaps take it to a local independent garage and ask for a second opinion. Probably the brakes were on the boarder line then when you brought it.  My other car, a Seat Ibiza was sold to me "serviced" but after two months, the rear cylinders were leaking and pads and disc were on their minimum. So I had them changed by my independent and I send the bill to the Seat dealer in York's. May be you can go on Brayleys and Honda UK.Twiiter account and complaint. That often helps! Good luck. Any more help, just asks.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 01:53:17 AM by 123Drive! »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 10:02:59 AM »
When, 18 months ago, I bought my Jazz from a local independent trader (an ex Honda mechanic and service manager), it was newly serviced and MOT'd when I collected it. 10 months later I started to do a rolling service and the first thing I changed was the air filter and pollen filter. The air filter was filthy and looked like it had been on the car since it was built in 2006! There was no pollen filter!!
Your disc may just have a rusty lip and the pads may well have tons of miles left in them, depending on how hard you are on the brakes. The garage balances between keeping you safe (they cannot risk a law suit) and drumming up business. If a garage tells me a car needs work done I always say "Show me".

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 11:01:09 AM »
I have written much about Honda its dealers and the guarantee. Within a few weeks of purchase, after an issue with the brakes I took it to my local garage and asked them what they thought. It was given a brake test and although it passed, the opinion was given re  the state of the disks etc I should take it back. The dealer had replaced the front pads prior to sales. New front disks NOT the pads and new  disks and pads on the rear. The improvement in braking was quite surprising.
I then found out that the car after  4yrs still had not had the brake fluid changed, so that was another confrontation, as like you, a Honda approved car should have ALL of it's servicing up to date. The brakes and fluid were a gesture of goodwill !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. After about 4 months rust appeared on the rear hatch door and there were issues with paint lifting around the N/S/R wheel arch and door. I was told I could buy a touch up pen. This 4 yr old car had a Honda 2 yrs warranty.
When I raised an unrelated query with Honda and ONLY after they got sniffy, I wrote about the issues. All ignored. Incidentally the air bag question was another HICCUP after 2 letters from Honda saying I need do nothing I eventually found on the Honda website that my air bag had been replaced. The dealer was contacted and admitted it had not been done. It has been done now. My comment at the time is that a good little car like the Honda Jazz doesn't deserve the manufacturer and dealers it is lumbered with. I am extremely happy with my Jazz, it was however all spoiled at the time by the attitude to what this fantastic servicing and guarantee actually stood for. PS I am off the Honda dealer mailing list.

longlegpete

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Better Half's Jazz Sport 1.4 2007, MY Jazz 1.4 Ex 2009 And Another 1.4EX 2009
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 11:49:48 AM »
Your not buying a new car so can't expect to have an "as new lifespan" , having said that I would consider 3,000 miles as a unreasonable amount of miles for brake pads and discs to have left on them when the car was sold to you which is effectively what they are saying.

I would give them a chance to sort the problems at there expense or tell them you will be taking it to Honda and more importantly to your local trading standards

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 01:49:17 PM »
I've found this with a range of dealers - not just Honda. They often talk about 50 point checks but I get the impression that the car is just shoved out the door with a MOT and that's that. When I bought a 2005 VW Golf TDI in 2008 the front tyres were barely legal. I said I expected these to be changed if I was to pay the agreed price (after the usual haggling over part ex etc etc) - they weren't at all happy. They did change them for a pair of cheapo Barum tyres (actually they weren't that bad to be fair) so I think the OP's experience is not untypical to be honest.

They've got to pay for the free coffee and magazines in the waiting area!!

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 09:03:39 PM »
There just isn't the time or margin to go over a car in too much detail, I think they all assume a relatively new car will be OK and just let one of the guys drive it home a couple of times to check it.  A clean shiny car sells, the mechanical aspects are almost irrelevant.  From friends who had little choice but to sell their family owned franchise to one of the big networks - "it's now just about hitting the targets/margins each month."  They let the customers discover any issues and then are ~usually~ happy to rectify them in the few weeks after purchase.  Mind you a free brake assessment at Kwik Fit would probably end up with recommendation for discs/pads all round.
--
TG

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 10:40:18 PM »
Mind you a free brake assessment at Kwik Fit would probably end up with recommendation for discs/pads all round.
And maybe a tyre or two to boot!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 10:44:02 AM »
and new shock absorbers!

Geoffers

• Approved Member
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes!
  • My Honda: 2016 HR-V SE-Navi Diesel
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 12:08:02 PM »
Reminds of a Renault 21 I had years back.

At 3 years old it went in for new tyres. I was advised that the disks needed to be replaced!
I responded by asking how much the disk had thinned. They said they didn't know but showed the rusty lip on the edge of the disk. Needless to say, the disks weren't replaced.

That 21 stayed in the family for another 8 years. The disks never were replaced!
Geoff, York, UK.             Now driving an HR-V after 4 Jazzes!

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 12:31:45 PM »
Most UK dealerships present used stock after a valet - ususally a lad with pressue washer - to max their profits  its all about appearance they may even fork out for a set of plates .
As regards service etc your lucky if they change the oil & wipe down the filer...Just ask to see the invoices for prev 2 services.
There are 100's of used cars at present when you find one that appeals ask to see the service history ring the previous owner etc etc look at the tyres condition of interior smells ? does it drive right ? mileage should be 3rd or 4th of the list of must be's .
Nowadays when asked to find a colleague neighbour a 'good used 'car I look at the MOT history website at DVLA and don't even get in my car to take a look 8 times out of 10

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 02:56:49 PM »
When "We Restore Alloys" opened, here in Kirkcaldy, and I got my Volvo wheels done, I asked how business was taking off. They said, "Brilliant. All the secondhand car dealers are bringing the wheels in, as pristine wheels sell a car no problem". Money spent on restoring wheels come straight back, money spent on servicing doesn't.

Tags: