Author Topic: Michelin Tyres  (Read 4608 times)

guest5079

Michelin Tyres
« on: October 22, 2017, 02:15:13 PM »
Fiddling about this am trying to locate a rattle when I found my tyre depth gauge so checked the tyres.

As the question of tyres raises it's head frequently thought this might be of interest.

4 Michelin 185/55R16H Green XL tyres fitted 20th February 2015 Approx mileage approx 40000.
N/S  Front 6mm N/S Rear 6mm O/S Rear 6mm O/S Front 5 plus mm.  This was as the result of pothole and tracking had to be done.
Mileage now 55500 plus. 
I think that is a pretty good advert for Michelin

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Michelin Tyres
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 02:27:24 PM »
Fiddling about this am trying to locate a rattle when I found my tyre depth gauge so checked the tyres.

As the question of tyres raises it's head frequently thought this might be of interest.

4 Michelin 185/55R16H Green XL tyres fitted 20th February 2015 Approx mileage approx 40000.
N/S  Front 6mm N/S Rear 6mm O/S Rear 6mm O/S Front 5 plus mm.  This was as the result of pothole and tracking had to be done.
Mileage now 55500 plus. 
I think that is a pretty good advert for Michelin

Tyres normally start off with 8.5 to 9 mm of tread depth when new.

The good wear is exactly why I used to get Michelin ES,  but still had to replace fronts about every 15 to 18 months,  but you do sacrifice a bit of grip to get the wear - I have had Avon ZV-7 on Civic now for about 6 months (was either pay about £75 a corner for ES or go with the Avons for £50,  don't know how many miles the Avons are good for but I don't do the big miles anymore) and have really noticed the extra grip and steering response.   When ES fitted - on some junctions with a bad surface I used to regularly (just pulling away normally) spin the wheels on when even dry or slightly damp - they don't spin even if I try to make them now (other than revving it and dropping clutch LOL which I don't do anyway).

If you were 'pressing on a bit' on twisty roads you could feel the ES squirming and losing grip, don't get that with the Avons.  they are very confidence inspiring.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 08:01:26 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 02:28:53 PM »
I did an enquiry re tyre prices and it seems the Michelin 185/55 16 are now at around £105 per corner.

I don't exactly hang about but I have noticed no reduction in grip EXCEPT on good old BT covers which it seems mandatory to place on bends.

Just had friends visit and they complain I drive too fast, bit rich coming from the male of the species who is a retired postman, who are reputed to be the worst drivers. His statement not mine.

Is the ES fitted with the dreaded 16 inch wheels?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 03:44:29 PM »
I did an enquiry re tyre prices and it seems the Michelin 185/55 16 are now at around £105 per corner.

Is the ES fitted with the dreaded 16 inch wheels?

The Avons replaced Michelin ES on my Civic,  but due to silly prices for 185/55R16 tyres I thought about getting 15" alloys and fitting Avons to her indoors Jazz Si when time comes to get new shoes for it (it will cost £50 a wheel to get existing 16" alloys re-coated anyway, and with saving £50 a tyre this time (and maybe next time as well) it does work out quite well).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 03:58:19 PM »
Rim flange protection on Avon ZV series is a good benefit although it probably doesn't stop you kerbing them if clumsy enough.
--
TG

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 05:47:58 PM »
Rim flange protection on Avon ZV series is a good benefit although it probably doesn't stop you kerbing them if clumsy enough.
--
TG

Avons ZV-7 is a quiet tyre, easily as quiet as Michelin ES,  the sidewall seems a little stiffer which means ride is slightly harder than ES,  but I think the stiffer sidewall makes the tyre more 'sporty' in its handling,  the directional stability, steering and grip levels are noticeably better IMHO - the only thing I can't  comment on is the tread life but as I don't do mega miles these days that is not really a concern for me.   I have deliberately done crash stops with Avons and the ABS hardly cuts in,  where it used to with ES. 

ES were not too bad in snow (Jazz was always better than Civic though) cannot comment on how good Avons may be on snow and because in 2016 I got Nokian winters on steel rims I may never find out.  I think steel rims in winter are good for two things, they protect the brakes from salt and crud much better than alloys and save your alloys from corrosion (and maybe an untimely crash into kerb,  which is always gonna be more likely on slippery winter roads).  As a bonus you can just slap another coat of Hammerite on them if they show any rust (which is difficult to do with alloys).

As I said before I used to get good mileage from Michelin ES,  a quiet ride and decent grip so was reasonably happy to pay a premium - but now my tyres may 'age out' before they 'wear out' so am still expecting a good few years use from Avons,  at a not inconsiderable saving in cost of tyres (ES for Civic were around £75,  Avons only £50).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 07:56:10 AM by culzean »

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 08:53:31 PM »
I get 37,500 miles from the front tyres, and 75,000 miles from the rears. I am now on my 4th pair of rear tyres, just turned 231,000 miles  :D :D :D

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 10:23:22 PM »
What tyres do you use Ozzie?

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 01:15:41 AM »
I get 37,500 miles from the front tyres, and 75,000 miles from the rears. I am now on my 4th pair of rear tyres, just turned 231,000 miles  :D :D :D
That is great, but I bet you don't get quite the same value for money on your clutches with all those hill starting, kerb crawling, three point turning trainees!

MartinJG

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 01:25:47 AM »

A good few years ago I had several sets of Michelins. I was getting @ 50,000 on the fronts in the early days but they were a very hard tyre, not terribly grippy and I also found they showed signs of perishing out before they wore out. Just felt they were a bit overkill for the price.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 06:55:48 AM »
I have never been a great fan of Michelin tyres. Always found they traded grip for long life, and as Martin said, they start to perish before they wear out. Always reminded me of the old Bridgestone tyres my bike had fitted, as OEM, back in the 1980s.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 08:31:07 AM »
I have never been a great fan of Michelin tyres. Always found they traded grip for long life, and as Martin said, they start to perish before they wear out. Always reminded me of the old Bridgestone tyres my bike had fitted, as OEM, back in the 1980s.

Original Bridgstone (or any Japanese bike tyre) in the 60's 70's and whatever were made from what appeared to be Nylon with a bit of rubber added - there is an explanation though..  Japanese roads are covered with stuff made from Volcanic rock or such (similar to the lighter coloured 'shell grip' you get on approaches to junctions, bends etc in UK), which is a lot grippier than our sometimes 'bare tar roads' that were around then in UK - happy days.

My 1996 model Civic 1.5 VTEC 5 door  came with Pirelli tyres as OEM, they were the noisiest tyres I had ever had and although they gripped well there was no warning before they were gonna let go - they would just break away.  They were pretty soft and luckily didn't last too long and I replaced them with Michelins.  The first time I drove with Michelins on I thought I had gone deaf,  the lack of road noise was such a relief.  Yes the ultimate grip was a little less with Michelins but they did give you warning they were going to lose it (more progressive I think the word is),  I kept with Michelin after because I was doing a lot of miles and they lasted well,  but now I no longer work for a living and my annual mileage has dropped off a cliff I don't need the longer life rubber, and looking at my wifes Jazz there is no way I will be paying silly (Michelin) prices for the 'rare as Hens teeth'  185/65R16 rubber bands.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 02:54:17 PM by culzean »

Ozzie

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 08:30:44 PM »
What tyres do you use Ozzie?
Michelin Energy Savers, prices have shot up to £70 at BlackCircles.com

Ozzie

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 08:32:09 PM »
That is great, but I bet you don't get quite the same value for money on your clutches with all those hill starting, kerb crawling, three point turning trainees!
My Jazz is a hybrid, so its automatic, no clutch . . . . got this game sussed  :D

MartinJG

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 01:14:42 AM »
My Jazz is a hybrid, so its automatic, no clutch . . . . got this game sussed  :D

Missed the CVT in the narrative. I have a couple of questions. First question. Since it is an automatic, presumably, your trainees can only ever drive an automatic, or has this changed? Second question. 231,000 is a hell of a mileage by any standard, especially when you consider the stop start driving. Have you had any significant issues through wear and tear? Curious to know how it has held up.

Tags: