Author Topic: Gearbox shot.  (Read 17516 times)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Gearbox shot.
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2017, 06:50:35 PM »
I don't think you would regret changing to a CVT Jocko. They are very smooth and economical as they are higher geared then the manual boxes.

Vic.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2017, 08:31:56 PM »
The one I was looking at has gone, but the same garage has a nicer one without all the boy racer bits.

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2017, 10:35:58 AM »
Yes low car tax is a bonus, my 2008 CVT is only £135; all my previous cars have been £220.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2017, 12:24:32 PM »
The 1.4 i-DSi is £135, the VTEC £115. I currently pay £115 for the 1.2 i-DSi manual.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2017, 09:20:13 PM »
To be honest, the 20 quid is neither here nor there. If running costs are your thing, for most people our age, fuel is the single biggest outgoing.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2017, 10:29:46 AM »
No. the extra tax is neither here nor there. Even petrol costs are no longer a worry. I went from a Volvo, giving less than 30 mpg on a good day, to the Jazz giving 50 on a bad day. And my mileage has dropped a fair bit too.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2017, 04:45:48 PM »
Went and had a look at a couple of cars today. First I tried the 1.4 EX-T CVT and I am sorry guys, I hated it.
For someone who seldom exceeds 2500 rpm and considers exceeding 3000 rpm "revving the a**e of it", the CVT is not for me. I love automatics, but standard, BorgWarner style. Never tried a DSG but I don't like what I have read regarding their lifespan/reliability.
The other car I tried was a Leaf, a 2010 Acenta. It was brilliant. Now that is what I call an "automatic". If I had had a drive beside my house I would have bought it. Keep it in mind for when I shift over to Midlothian.

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2017, 05:06:51 PM »
Be careful Jocko, the new battery for a Leaf costs nearly £5K (less £1K for old one) to replace when it gives up the ghost, and unless the 2010 car has had a replacement that will be 7 years old; don't think they will hold much charge by them. Looked into it a couple of years ago and found that was why they are difficult to sell, and go relatively cheaply compared to what they cost new.  :-[

See here...
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/nissan/89694/nissan-leaf-battery-replacement-to-cost-4920

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2017, 05:50:34 PM »
The Auto Express article says they have only had to replace 3 out of 30,000. I just tried the 2010 model because it was local. If I am buying I hope to get a nearly new car.

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2017, 07:09:29 PM »
From what I know about Li-ion batteries, being in the electronics trade since they came out, I think that is extremely optimistic, and think that probably refers to ones that have been replaced in newish cars. After a number of years those type of batteries gradually loose their ability to hold a charge which may not be noticed on short runs but would show up on long ones.
However I hear they are working on some new design of batteries now, different chemical make up, that when available
 will be more effective and charge very quickly, but they are a few years away yet.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2017, 07:42:48 PM »
All the manufacturers seem to be seeing longer battery life than projected. I also know that charge cycles are a greater influence than age. I would be putting very few charge cycles on a vehicle, as I will do very little miles.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2017, 08:06:16 PM »
All the manufacturers seem to be seeing longer battery life than projected.

That's how I understood it, current EV batteries are lasting longer than manufacturers anticipated.

They are now talking about the Renault batteries lasting 10 years without significant loss of range, then having a further 10 year life re-appropriated and built into the fast chargers, 20 years before end of life recycling.

guest1372

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2017, 09:19:10 PM »
Someone in my club has a 56 plate Prius still running around quite happily on the original battery, if the dealer services the car it's warranted for 100k or 11 years.  The usage profile is probably kinder to hybrids than plug-ins.
--
TG

u587162

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport CVT
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2017, 06:42:31 PM »
Just to add to my previous comment a week or so ago about juddering from my Jazz 56 plate auto, I had a CVT flush done on Fri at Honda in Hemel Hempsted for £150 and this has cured 80% of the juddering I was getting.

I bought my car with 95k miles on the clock last Dec, no idea when the last CVT gear box flush or oil change was done.  The car seems a lot smoother now compared to immediately after the flush.  Perhaps it took some time to settle down and me revving it up a lot since then to heat up the oil.

It still ever so slight judders though when I try and floor the acceleration or when going up the hill.

I just now need to sort out my EGR.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2017, 10:07:30 AM »
My wife actually said to me, yesterday, "What is that terrible noise the car is making?". The gearbox is deafening now, so bad that a hard of hearing non driver is concerned. I'll just run it until it gives up the ghost completely, then scrap the car. Don't know what to go for next, but I doubt it will be a Honda.

Tags: