Author Topic: SNP stance on EV's.  (Read 7987 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
SNP stance on EV's.
« on: September 05, 2017, 06:22:14 PM »
Scotland’s First Minister today announced that new petrol and diesel vehicles will be phased out in Scotland by 2032 – eight years ahead of the rest of the UK. There is also to be a significant expansion in the charging network, including an Electric Highway along the A9, Scotland's longest road.
Scotland’s four biggest cities will have Low Emission Zones, banning the most polluting vehicles, by 2020. The Scottish government is already committed to one Low Emission Zones by the end of next year.
Let’s see what happens with that. Kind of goes against their North Sea Oil stance of the Independence Referendum.

wee jimmy

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2021 jazz crosstar pearl white
Re: SNP stance on EV's.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 07:11:20 PM »

think she,s kidding her self-on

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 07:34:16 PM »
More pie in the sky. Politicians are not on this planet with the rest of us.
Having lived in and toured Scotland extensively I find it hard to imagine all the EV charging points installed in the Highlands and Islands.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 08:36:29 PM »
I haven't a clue what planet dear Nicola is on, not even in our solar system I'm afraid. Looks like more political posturing to me, being seen to do something - anything to keep your name in the papers, bit like Katie price who was a world expert at it.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 08:48:25 PM »
Having lived in and toured Scotland extensively I find it hard to imagine all the EV charging points installed in the Highlands and Islands.
I was amazed to find just how many charging locations there are in Scotland, already. Including the Highlands and Island. In fact, it looks like there are more charging points than filling stations, if my experience of filling up while touring the Highlands is anything to go by. I remember one Sunday evening, trying to get back down from Speyside with an exceptionally light tank. I was in and out of towns and villages trying to find a filling station. The couple I did find were closed on a Sunday! Eventually I found one open but with no unleaded. I just filled up anyway. No real option.

http://www.greenerscotland.org/greener-travel/greener-driving/charge-point-map

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 08:39:52 AM »
I was amazed to find just how many charging locations there are in Scotland, already. Including the Highlands and Island. In fact, it looks like there are more charging points than filling stations

There needs to be more charging points than filling stations - each petrol pump can satisfy at least 10 cars an hour x the number of pumps at the petrol station - each charging point can only do 1 car an hour (for fast charger) or one car every two or three hours.  It won't be until more people start using charging points that the true extent of the lack of electrical power becomes manifest.   I know people can charge at home,  but that still needs electricity.

Most ICE cars can easily do 400 to 500 miles on a tank so don't need to visit a petrol station very often, EV has a bit to catch up.  I wonder how much of batteries charge can disappear when EV is left standing - batteries are well known to be 'leaky' (self-discharge) when not used,  especially in warmer weather.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 09:09:36 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 03:02:13 PM »
Governments talk glibly about EV's but appear not to have considered that a considerable number of car owners do not have off road parking facilities. Therefore they could only trail a cable across the pavement to plug in with the obvious trip hazard to the passing public.
How about blocks of flats, of which there are many in cities?

Vic.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 04:46:53 PM »
I live in a block of flats and cannot even get my car within 30 yards of my front door. Because most of my motoring events are 4 mile trips with a cold engine, I'd like to fit a block heater. But even my garage (well away from house), has no electricity and no chance of getting electricity.
I thought this solution, trialling in Hounslow, was a good idea. Still not enough though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKaEhBjt1ls&t=1s

As battery technology/range improves and charge times decrease, I am sure the time will come when we will charge our car as often as we fill up now. We will be able to charge while we are at the supermarket or other public parking places.
And once autonomous vehicles  are commonplace, we may find far fewer people own vehicles. I have several friends who have given up owning cars and use public transport, taxis, and the occasional car hire when they really need it. They all say they save a mint.
My grandson and his mates have no interest in owning cars (insurance probably puts them off). They too use buses and taxis.
Personally, they will have to tear my keys away from me, when my time comes.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 09:27:27 PM »
How are we going to generate all this electric, there are times when the national grid is pushed to the limit, perhaps all new builds must have solar panels to help.
I have also read (tongue in cheek) that if the car is on charge and you turn on the kettle for a brew you will trip the mains.
Oh dear, left hand not knowing what the right is doing.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 10:13:21 PM »
if the car is on charge and you turn on the kettle for a brew you will trip the mains.
Take it from a retired electrical engineer that that is the biggest load of waffle ever.
As regards where we get the electricity from. The best time to charge your car is overnight. When you are not using it.
And overnight off peak electricity is the cheapest, because there is so much of it we struggle to use it all. We do have issues with the amount of available electricity at peak times, but only for a few minutes each day. We are not that tight for electricity supplies otherwise they would not have shut down Longannet Power Station (2.4 Gigawatt), a few miles from me, with the loss of local jobs it caused. As well as coal, it burnt oil, sludge and biomass. It was fitted with Low NOX burners and Carbon Capture. Mind you, it was in Scotland!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 08:21:08 AM »
if the car is on charge and you turn on the kettle for a brew you will trip the mains.
And overnight off peak electricity is the cheapest, because there is so much of it we struggle to use it all.

Nocturnal solar energy - that is a new one on me,  the moon must be brighter than I realised.   Nicola has plans to 'kill two birds with one stone' and rebuild Hadrians wall using Tesla batteries,  from now on it will be 'Hadrians Powerwall' - two problems problem solved,  except those pesky English will be robbing the electricity.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 08:36:45 AM by culzean »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 08:39:42 AM »
No. At the moment overnight electricity is the cheapest because there is so much of it. That's why we have pump storage here in Scotland. Cruachan and Foyers/Loch Mhór. Scotland has the potential for 500 GWh of pumped storage.
And regarding pump storage systems, solar can be used during the day to pump water up to the dams, so we can use hydro during the night. Then there is wind power. GFG Alliance has announced plans to install a wind farm to power its Lochaber aluminium smelter. The scheme would also provide power for Motherwell's Dalzell steel mills run by Liberty, which with another company SIMEC forms GFG Alliance

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 11:42:21 AM »
No. At the moment overnight electricity is the cheapest because there is so much of it.
This could change as the nuclear and big thermal power stations, which are happiest if left running continuously at close to full output, are progressively phased out. At the present rate of progress there won't be a lot of new nuclear plants to replace the older ones. The nearest we are likely to get to reliable green electricity is a bunch of tidal plants around the UK coast line (positioned so that overall they will cover the unproductive parts of the tidal cycle), but that's unlikely to happen soon unless there's a big change in thinking.

A few years ago I was closely watching micro-CHP (heat the house and generate electricity at the same time). However, reliability proved to be a big problem and the manufacturers appear to have lost interest in the development of domestic-sized equipment.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 11:56:22 AM »
I think the problem with the micro-CHP is the fact it is burning stuff. Whether it is diesel, gas or biomass it is still stuff being burnt.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 12:29:17 PM »
No. At the moment overnight electricity is the cheapest because there is so much of it.
This could change as the nuclear and big thermal power stations, which are happiest if left running continuously at close to full output, are progressively phased out.

That is exactly why overnight energy used to be cheap,  but not any more.  My local authority has been in the habit of turning streetlights off since about 2010 after a certain time of night (midnight) to 'save money' -  maybe because low carbon energy is neither as cheap or reliable as certain people hoped and as fossil / woodchip fueled thermal plants are being closed and nothing is being done to build any new nuclear it may be we have to get used to such things,  back to the dark ages anyone ?

Tags:

anything