Author Topic: Haig Dimple Pinch  (Read 1525 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Haig Dimple Pinch
« on: August 12, 2017, 06:56:25 PM »
Today I was given an old bottle of Haig Dimple Pinch (a US import). It is boxed and unopened and was probably bought back in the 70's or early 80's. It is 15 year old Scotch Whisky, 43% proof, 75 cl.
I looked up what they sell for and I can buy another for £180 from a whisky dealer. Obviously it is not worth that selling. My problem is, do I keep it or do I open it. I have never bought whiskies to keep. Whisky is for drinking, not looking at (I once bought a special bottling of Ardbeg, only to find I had a rare signed bottle. I still opened and drank it).
Oh what a quandary!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Haig Dimple Pinch
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 06:35:00 PM »
I'm not a whisky drinker, but my brother collects, and drinks it. He's very familiar with the distilleries and ex-distilleries on Islay, in fact he will the going there on Friday for a couple of weeks.

As for your dilemma, personally I would read up and try to figure out whether I would enjoy it. If I thought it might not be my cup of tea, I would gladly exchange it for a pile of cash that would buy something to satisfy my more modest tastes. If I liked the sound of it however, well...

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 07:03:45 PM »
I took advice, and opened it last night. It is superb.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 09:07:25 PM »
I took advice, and opened it last night. It is superb.
Nice. ;)

guest5079

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 02:39:28 PM »
When my Wife and I were 'courting' back in the 1960's, She lived in a bungalow close to the Thames. Due to the fact of flooding the bungalow was on stilts. Father in Law was looking for something in his store under the bungalow and found a bottle. This is what he told me: He made a batch of plum brandy from plums in his garden circa early 1950 and this one was overlooked.
Being as how one must always get on with one's future in laws, when he offered me a taste I agreed. It was superb, smooth and delicious. And flipping potent.
Not Whisky Jocko but I am glad your Hague was up to snuff and like the plum brandy had improved with age.
I think back to those heady days as now alcohol is forbidden due to medication.
Good on you Jocko if you need an excuse have one for me.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 03:23:28 PM »
if you need an excuse have one for me.
Will do.

Tags: