Author Topic: Engine noise when accelerating heavily low speed in high gear  (Read 22375 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Engine noise when accelerating heavily low speed in high gear
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2017, 11:29:21 AM »
Clearly a design fault that one can drop the pesky things.Good Luck.
That design fault? Are you talking about God and his design of the human hand?

I think auntneddy is referring to the fact that clips are not properly hinged / captive and can be dropped.
The human hand is one of natures finest creations - G-o-d (or any other deity / Idol had nought to do with it* )

(* reference C Darwin, c/o the Beagle, Galapagos Islands, Ecuador North Pacific - 'On the Origin of Species')
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 11:40:46 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2017, 08:56:14 AM »
No not him upstairs. The brilliant Honda number cruncher that possibly saves the company a few pennies by NOT making the clip a hinged item like wot they used to do.
The human hand when it gets a bit knackered unfortunately cant go along to your friendly Honda dealer and have a new hinge put on the one thing a Human hand has, is the opposable joint.I know mine are a problem!!!!!!!!!!!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2017, 09:42:38 AM »
Temporarily tie a piece of string to clip and attach to local pipe or cable before you try to unclip it - at least it stops clip disappearing into bowels of the engine compartment if you fumble it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 05:10:11 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest7027

• Topic Starter
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2017, 06:19:56 PM »
Quick update for my problem...
I'd been irritated by the sucking noise, but not sufficiently bothered to investigate it until I saw this thread.
Having given myself a wake-up slap, I had a dig under the bonnet and discovered that one of the filter cover side clips has lost its plastic locking end (presumably during garage service), so left side of cover is not being pulled down tightly.
For the moment, I've just pushed it down more firmly, and it seems over the past week or so, I haven't noticed the noise as much. Hopefully, this is the cause.
Now, I need to find out whether I can get a replacement clip or need to either buy a whole replacement airbox or cobble together some sort of diy fix.

Hi Nick, would be interested to know if this has fixed yours as the symptoms are similar to mine. I had a very quick look under my bonnet and all 4 air box clips are present though and I couldn't see anywhere air would leak from. Will need have a closer/longer look though to be certain.

Stickshifter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2 S 2014
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2018, 07:22:51 PM »
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but just wondering if the OP solved this noise problem in the end?

I've had the same thing on a 2009 manual 1.2 Vtec Mk2 Jazz for well over 18 months and I just can't seem to pin it down. The noise only appears in 4th and 5th gears between 1600 and 2000 rpm with moderate to heavy throttle and engine under load (but even then it will do it on the flat or slight downhills). It's most noticeable when accelerating up to 40 at the end of a 30mph zone in 4th gear.

So far I've tried 99RON fuel, new spark plugs, Italian tune-up, checking and adjusting the valve clearances, Redex added to the fuel and new manual transmission oil along with the standard service items. None of these have had any effect on the noise problem but did make the car feel livelier.

I can only think now that it's either a loose heatshield, slight manifold leak, a gearbox bearing problem or perhaps a clutch problem.

It'd be great to know if the OP or anybody else has found the fix as it's been driving me crazy  :P

Spencer69

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ I-VTEC SI 5 dr (nearly)!
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2018, 04:48:42 PM »
Hi All and hope all enjoying long weekend.

Came here for browse kiling time and been reading about the engine undertray! Without having to get underneath/car on ramp, how would I know if car has engine undertray?

Whilst on this topic, noticed when parked in local asda that rear wheel arches do not appear to have covers/guards (that are clearly visible on the front wheel arches) and is this normal?

Many thanks for any replies.

Tags: