Author Topic: Minor body repair  (Read 3862 times)

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Minor body repair
« on: July 19, 2017, 01:25:09 PM »
I ran over something in the road and need some minor body repairs - filling on the nearside sill and scratches on the rear wing.  Does anyone have experience of using a Smart ABC franchise mobile repairer (I live in East Anglia).  If I was more competent, I would have a go myself, but I know my limitations!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 01:27:05 PM by Downsizer »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Minor body repair
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 02:34:40 PM »
I'll be interested in any replies to this as well. 2 parking dings and a scratch - nothing major but don't feel like shelling out several hundred quid.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 03:43:12 PM »
www.autorestore.co.uk

I used these people recently for a mark on a front wing with excellent results.

(Turn 'before' picture through 90 degrees anticlockwise)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 03:46:39 PM by VicW »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 03:45:45 PM »
Looks like a good job Vic.

Bit cheeky but how much - ballpark will do?

VicW

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 03:50:04 PM »
Not cheeky, it was  £188 and took three hours.

I had some horrendous quotes, one outfit reckoned they were going to have to change the front wing!

The job can be done in all weathers as the operator has a full tent arrangement to work under.

Vic.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 05:54:57 PM »
I have used Chipsaway for minor scrapes on previous cars with good results, they usually charge about £100 per panel. Some people I know live with minor scrapes until trade in time, their theory is if you get them fixed you will soon get another scrape. Best to get them all done as a job lot. It all depends on your vanity level. :-)

VicW

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 07:03:44 PM »
Chipsaway quoted £240 for the same job.

Vic.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 10:04:08 PM »
I have used Chipsaway for minor scrapes on previous cars with good results, they usually charge about £100 per panel. Some people I know live with minor scrapes until trade in time, their theory is if you get them fixed you will soon get another scrape. Best to get them all done as a job lot. It all depends on your vanity level. :-)

I've been debating this myself and I've decided to leave them until trade in/sale time. I can just about live with them and I managed to remove quite a bit of the superficial scratching on the most recent skirmish with some car polish and a lot of elbow grease.

My car spends a lot of its time in various car parks. Another ding will be along soon!

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 08:08:51 AM »
You could try Auto Glym paint renovator (other brands are available) a little more aggressive than polish and I have found it effective.

https://www.autoglym.com/paint-renovator
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 05:20:48 PM by Deeps »

Downsizer

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 05:14:45 PM »
Thanks for all the responses.  The most serious damage is to the sill which has a gouge out of it, and there are also scratches to two doors and the rear wing; but the damage is not obvious to the passer-by (see picture).  It's tempting to do nothing for the reasons others have given, but the car is newish and I plan to keep it many years.  At age 75, it might just be the last car I have (cue soft violins....)  Here are the quotes:  Autorestore - £603.  Smart ABC - £500 (no VAT).  These were both based on pictures.  Local bodyshops £600 and £798, both including VAT.  I contacted Chipsaway, but before they visited I decided to use a bodyshop as I live in an apartment block and there is a condition in the lease prohibiting non-emergency car repairs in the car park.  I am a director of the owners' management company so I need to set a good example!  The moral of the story is to avoid running over things in the road!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 10:15:47 PM »
The other week, I drove too close to the car park wall. "Grandad said a naughty word!"  ::)

Even, flatted the bumper area, corner radius.......

I contacted Revive! ..... https://revive-uk.com/

Callum arrived. (All 6' 10" of him!)........

Two hours, and twenty minutes later, he drove away. With payment of £180.

Absolutly faultless repair. Can't even feel, where the problem had been.......

I'm very pleased, with the service.  :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 08:03:22 PM by Dayjo »
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 11:39:44 AM »
Thanks for all the responses.  The most serious damage is to the sill which has a gouge out of it, and there are also scratches to two doors and the rear wing; but the damage is not obvious to the passer-by (see picture).  It's tempting to do nothing for the reasons others have given, but the car is newish and I plan to keep it many years.  At age 75, it might just be the last car I have (cue soft violins....)  Here are the quotes:  Autorestore - £603.  Smart ABC - £500 (no VAT).  These were both based on pictures.  Local bodyshops £600 and £798, both including VAT.  I contacted Chipsaway, but before they visited I decided to use a bodyshop as I live in an apartment block and there is a condition in the lease prohibiting non-emergency car repairs in the car park.  I am a director of the owners' management company so I need to set a good example!  The moral of the story is to avoid running over things in the road!

I can see your point Downsizer. I wonder if there is an age of car where you start to think that a small scratch and/or ding is liveable with? My car is 4 years old, yours just over a year. I think I'd probably be getting the work done on a much newer car like yours.

Tags: