Author Topic: Had to swap cars with my wife due less leg room in front of Mk3.  (Read 2582 times)

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
When I bought my Mk3 just over a year ago, I was quite happy with the front leg room. I am 6ft 1in and it seemed fine.

Since then my left knee has gone bad (on waiting list for a replacement) especially in the last two months. Now I need to be able to fully stretch my left leg at regular intervals. There is enough room in Mk1 to fully extend my left leg by lifting it up into the free space under the dash, but not so the Mk3.

There is less on the passenger side as well.

The rear leg room in the Mk3 is amazing, but it has been partly achieved at the expense of the front, and partly because the car is longer.

guest1372

Re: Had to swap cars with my wife due less leg room in front of Mk3.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 01:15:32 AM »
Sit in the back  :)

--
TG

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 10:08:38 AM »
I had a similar problem with my MK2, I am 6' 2" and I found that even with the front seats right back I could not stretch my legs fully as I could in my first Civic, I had to adjust my driving position to compensate and even if sat in the passenger seat my legs were slightly bent which I found ok for short journeys but necessitated more frequent stops on longer trips to stretch my legs occasionally.

Now I am back to a Civic I have no problems.   

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 10:35:01 AM »
I am 6' 1" but still have some rearward travel available on my Mk1's driver's seat. My wife, on the other hand, at 5' 7" likes the passenger seat all the way back!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 10:55:19 AM »
We are all different. I sometimes think we need bespoke driving positions. I am 6' but I still have plenty of rearwards travel in my Mk2. I came to the Jazz from a Civic 8th generation and I really struggled with the driving position in the Civic even though the seats were more sculpted, the rearward travel was longer and it was easier to rest your feet if in cruise control - more space round the pedals.

My problem - I can't handle a low seating position - I need more of a sit up and beg position to help my right leg. I have hired Transit Type vans from time to time and love the driving position in a large van.

Going back further - much further - I always had difficulties with Fords but not with Vauxhalls.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 11:35:46 AM »
I love the driving position in a van. Had actually considered a FIAT Ducato a few years back (I used to drive one on a daily basis as a courier), but decided that a car probably fitted my needs better.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 01:39:38 PM »
I find the driving position in the Mk3 to be fine, except that, for me at 5ft 10in, the position is too low, even with the seat jacked up to maximum. I have to say that i came to Jazz cars from numerous Landrovers over the years and as a result i like to sit high and see where i'm going!
I have made up a set seat spacers,  20mm for the rear mountings of the drivers seat and 12mm at the front and now the position is, for me, nigh on perfect.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 02:43:38 PM »
I am only 5ft 8 and find no problem with the driving position.  The front passenger seat is another story.  Most people I carry have it all the way back and lowered as far as it will go (which also moves it backwards).

Bizarrely you could comfortably fit two 6ft 6 guys in the back.

Tags: